Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
Extremely apprehensive on finding proper gas filling stations

Ok -- I suspect I have let this get the best of me, but it has. Have only had my RV (40' -- gas) for a little over a month and have taken just a couple short trips but have already had to pull off my toad because of pulling into a gas station (Pilot) that I assumed would be good but it had very limited gasoline pump access, and no escape exit (near Jacksonville, Fl.) I know FlyingJ is the way to go and they have RV lanes in some but they are not everywhere, especially up north. For instance, need to drive from Baltimore to Cleveland and have looked for the best route and gas stations and FlyingJ does not seem to be an option based on there just not being any on any route I checked. Any suggestions on a route, the most direct would be the PA Turnpike, but not sure of the Service Plaza's and gas access for my coach?

Also -- aside from FlyingJ any specific gas stations that you feel at least a little comfortable that they may work -- Love's, Raceway, etc...?

jimrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #2

Extremely apprehensive on finding proper gas filling stations

I fuel wherever there is enough room to maneuver, and the space I need now is much smaller than previously.
I recommend that everyone at least study the CDL manual and practice the air brake stuf, maneuvering and turning. I am much safer for having done that.
Some will come back with "I've never had a problem". If they just study the CDL manual they will say "wow, that not only makes sense but makes driving easier and safer". They can shed the fear!
When you can confidently drive in downtown traffic and make the tight corners, or pull up to a standard fuel pump, or back into a space in one shot, etc, it feels very good.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #3

A book I use on the road, all the time is "Next Exit". In it you will find all the info you need for hwy travel. When it comes to fueling stations it will indicate those that are "big Rig" friendly. You won't have to guess when your looking to fuel up. I almost never let my fuel get below 1/4 tank, so I have a good range to be on the lookout, for a fuel stop that accommodates me.

BTW there is a lot more info in that book than fuel stops.

"Next Exit" is available at CW about $18, or order online.

Good luck!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
several folks use Google earth to get a picture of a gas station before leaving the road.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
We look for any station that has easy in and out. There are many out there. Super America, Speedway, grocery stores like Krogers etc. Costco, and Sams clubs. As we get to half tank we start looking and planning. There is nothing worse than seeing that little red fuel light come on screaming "Feed Me Seymour" and no good stations around for miles and miles. As we approach a station Sharon will quickly assess the ease of getting in and out and make a decision (thumbs up or thumbs down) as to whether I should pull in or pass it. After a while it gets much easier. She has been wrong once or twice, but you didn't hear me say that

To answer your question, there is no one brand that is uniformly easy. Each station seems to hold special obstacles. But there are many good ones. Remember rush hour times usually mean lots of cars, so try and fuel during the non busy times. Don't be afraid to walk your exit route checking for low overhangs, sharp dips in the driveway, cars parked in a way that will block you, etc.

It won't be long before you will be helping others
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You learn to look at stations differently. I try to use the out side of the outside/island. Leave plenty of room between you and the pumps so you don't have a problem when you pull out.
Most Service Plaza's have plenty of room but may be busy so just watch out and pay attention.
When you are driving around in your toad practice looking at stations and planning how you would get in and out. One other thing to watch for is deep drainage channels or steep transitions as you may drag the hitch or the back of the coach. Things you may never notice in a car.
2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins 3000MH Allison Trans.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a Blue Ox tow bar.
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
You might look for the Walmarts that have fuel. Should be plenty of room in the parking lot to stop and get out and look. Maybe even disconnect from toad if needed. Like I said, plenty of room if it is needed. You do not need to over-stress on this. Just take your time and it will get better with experience. Happy trails.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
If we are traveling Interstate Highways I like to use this link. It has a Google view of the gas stations and amenities.
Truck Stops By Interstate Or Highway
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60
Cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't drive until the refuel lite comes on. Good idea is to refuel every 2 hours (good for you circulation and prevention of DVT "blood clots.") Start looking for big refueling stations on that basis and you will be solving a few problems.
Don Kostyal
CMSgt, USAF ret.
2012 Canyon Star 3856//2009 Scion xB
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Here are links to an iRV2 thread that covers some of the same ground. My post is in there.

Looking for RV friendly gas stations
2008 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30PDD (Ford F53 chassis)
2009 Honda Fit Sport
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:06 AM   #11
I use loves , pilot or flying J's , most all have big fuel islands , they sell enough fuel to have good fuel
sallisawfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
Being from out west, I find Flying J, etc., to not be set up to accomodate a rig towing a dinghy. Here's what I do. When we pull into a park, I disconnect our C-RV, then recharge the battery by checking out the local gas stations. The next morning, I gas up at whichever is the best candidate. Cost is a secondary factor to room to maneuver. Usually I don't put the car back on until after I gas up.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by Cudntherd View Post
If we are traveling Interstate Highways I like to use this link. It has a Google view of the gas stations and amenities.
Truck Stops By Interstate Or Highway

Thanks for the link. Already saved in my favorites.
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #14
Your issue is exactly why we don't tow with a gasser and rent when we get to our destination.

Shell Bleiweiss
2014 1/2 Thor Challenger 37KT
Sedona, AZ
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote