Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Fall Creek Falls, Pikeville TN

Just returned from this awesome state park. Nothing but good to say, limited sewer sites but very peaceful and family friendly. Paddelboats on the lake for 4 bucks! Kept them out for 2 hours, no extra charge. Some sites were tough to get into, we tried to help a big TT get into a site in the dark. After 20 minutes a ranger came by and offered him a pull through.

Great playgrounds, spotless bathhouses, great hiking, 20 bucks a day. Sewer sites were 25. Also have a great golf course as well and an Inn that serves a mean Buffett. I'm guessing it gets packed in summer but we marked a map with maybe 30 sites we deemed acceptable for a summer trip here. DW is picky on sites.

It is rural, don't expect a Walmart or even a big store for 30 minutes or more in any direction. One other positive, we saw as many as 17 deer at one time, 2 skunks were also frequent visitors. A small rock aimed in their direction chased them off, not sure if that was smart or not!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
One addendum... Limited sites for class A's - lots of overhanging branches, many sites with at least a slight if not moderate incline, but the folks at reservations will help you pick a spot and are generally reliable.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #3

How funny. My wife and oldest daughter went to Atlanta for the day so I brought my 7 year old daughter up with her 2 dogs to campground A to play for the day. I met Matt and his wife ( the travel trailer guy with the f250 that you helped) and my daughter played with their 2 kids. We will be there for 15 days this summer off and on. It is a great park. We have a 37' pusher and it is very challenging at time only 3-4 sites that we can get into. PM me if you go back up this summer and we can exchange campfire stories.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater View Post
How funny. My wife and oldest daughter went to Atlanta for the day so I brought my 7 year old daughter up with her 2 dogs to campground A to play for the day. I met Matt and his wife ( the travel trailer guy with the f250 that you helped) and my daughter played with their 2 kids. We will be there for 15 days this summer off and on. It is a great park. We have a 37' pusher and it is very challenging at time only 3-4 sites that we can get into. PM me if you go back up this summer and we can exchange campfire stories.
If you had your DP I'm sure we saw it, we did a lot of walking and we were in A33 - Jayco grey hawk class C, I think the only C in the park! We were next to the playground. We have 4 kids and they played soccer quite a bit in the big field there. I'll definitely PM you if we go back this summer, we spent a week in October last year.

We have wondered about a class A, our C fits maybe 60% of the sites and is 31 feet with DS. Pretty easy to maneuver at the park. What makes it that much harder in an A, the narrow roads, the height of an A, something else? We love state parks and want an A but are wary because we see so few at places like Fall Creek.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #5

I drove up for the day on Saturday. I was in my Z71. One thing that makes is so tough is the leveling and site size / trees in the way on the other side of the road while trying to back into a site. We live 50 min from the park and spend 50 to 75% of our summer camping there. I chose a 37-38 ft coach just for that park. I watch a guy almost destroy a 40 ft Tiffen up there one year. Send me a message when you go back and we will meet up. BTW did you know that the Matt guy was an F16 pilot? Test pilot also. It was cool talking with him.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater View Post
I drove up for the day on Saturday. I was in my Z71. One thing that makes is so tough is the leveling and site size / trees in the way on the other side of the road while trying to back into a site. We live 50 min from the park and spend 50 to 75% of our summer camping there. I chose a 37-38 ft coach just for that park. I watch a guy almost destroy a 40 ft Tiffen up there one year. Send me a message when you go back and we will meet up. BTW did you know that the Matt guy was an F16 pilot? Test pilot also. It was cool talking with him.
So if we stay in the 33 foot range with an A it opens up a lot more sites? I'll post that to the general discussion as well as we hope to go out west as soon as this summer.

Matt had Red Sox plates and as a rabid baseball fan we didn't get past that subject! I can talk baseball all day (and night).
Old 03-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #7

We love FCF...we live about an hour from there as well and often just drive up for lunch. They have a great restaurant with an awesome buffet. They have some great hiking trails and bike paths, too.

During the summer, it is very busy. I love to go in the winter because it is quieter. We have not camped there since we bought our Class C, but we did drive up and "spec out" the sites to make sure it would fit in some.

Maybe we should plan a TN campout sometime. We haven't done any rallies and would love to meet other folks in the area.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
We love FCF...we live about an hour from there as well and often just drive up for lunch. They have a great restaurant with an awesome buffet. They have some great hiking trails and bike paths, too.

During the summer, it is very busy. I love to go in the winter because it is quieter. We have not camped there since we bought our Class C, but we did drive up and "spec out" the sites to make sure it would fit in some.

Maybe we should plan a TN campout sometime. We haven't done any rallies and would love to meet other folks in the area.
Sounds great! We circled every site we liked on the map during our walks. Tons of great sites for C's. The Sunday Buffett is our favorite, kids not big seafood fans so we skip Friday night.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yikes, just found a tick on me from the trip- Spring is officially here!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #10

Yeah...ticks are for sure a hazard there and the poison ivy is really bad too. If you bring dogs and/or kids, make sure to keep them away from the poison ivy.

Rock Island and Cumberland Mountain are two other nice parks. Cumberland Mountain has a restaurant similar to FCF. Rock Island has a real beach and a few waterfalls. It's much smaller, but a nice place to spend a weekend.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
Yeah...ticks are for sure a hazard there and the poison ivy is really bad too. If you bring dogs and/or kids, make sure to keep them away from the poison ivy.

Rock Island and Cumberland Mountain are two other nice parks. Cumberland Mountain has a restaurant similar to FCF. Rock Island has a real beach and a few waterfalls. It's much smaller, but a nice place to spend a weekend.
I'll add them to the list! I just googled Rock Island, right on the river which is great. Have you camped at Savage Gulf? It's on the list too.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #12

We have been hiking in the Savage Gulf close to Altamont, I think. There is a great place there called Stone Door State Natural area. Unless they have changed, there were no developed campgrounds, only tent areas.

We also hiked Virgin Falls and the falls were wonderful, but again, no place nearby to park an RV. We have been camping in TN since the early 1980's and have been to just about every state park.

Old Stone Fort is one of the closest to us, but it isn't on of our favorites...not sure why...maybe it's too much like where we live. :-) Cedars of Lebanon is close too and we do like to go there occasionally. The trails are easy to hike and the campground is pretty nice. Montgomery Bell is great in the spring when all the flowers are blooming. I have some incredible photos from there. Cumberland Mountain is best in the fall with the leaves turning. Edgar Evans is a pretty park, but if you have small kids, you have to be very careful. The water is deep and the sites are kind of precarious. FCF and Cedars have better playgrounds. :-)

Many, many years ago, we went to Roan Mountain. It's on my list for another trip, but it's a long way from middle TN. They have a rhododendron festival every year and the park is beautiful.

Lately, we have been enjoying driving to Georgia and visiting some of the great parks there. They have a very good discount program and some of their parks even have cable television.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #13

WE like to stop and spend a few nights in Tennessee or Kentucky on our way back to PA from FLA. We are just not sure about our dogs, the Tennessee web site says the each individual park can put up signs at the discretion of the park supervisor forbidding dogs in areas. I love to go hiking with my dog and would hate to get to a park and find out they are not allowed on any trails. Are dogs generally allowed through out the Park (no restaurants, restrooms, gift shops, etc....)?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDoggin View Post
WE like to stop and spend a few nights in Tennessee or Kentucky on our way back to PA from FLA. We are just not sure about our dogs, the Tennessee web site says the each individual park can put up signs at the discretion of the park supervisor forbidding dogs in areas. I love to go hiking with my dog and would hate to get to a park and find out they are not allowed on any trails. Are dogs generally allowed through out the Park (no restaurants, restrooms, gift shops, etc....)?
Lots of dogs at fall creek falls, if they are well behaved I even see them off leash all the time although I always leash mine. Saw just about every other family with dogs 2 weeks ago.