Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fall Creek Falls State Park

We are planning a trip to Fall Creek Falls State Park in Tennessee after hearing of the beauty of the park and waterfalls. However, we are hearing conflicting reports as to whether we should try this. Some have said getting to the park and campground in our 41' Ventana LE may be problematic due to narrow winding roads, switchbacks, and low hanging trees. Has anyone else been there and if so what was your experience?
ascdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'll be following the thread as we want to go there too!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #3

fall creek falls state park. tennessee

You have heard right very nice place to visit. The best route for a motorhome of that size is to go to exit 288 on I-40 in cookeville Tn . Tn-111 toward Sparta Tn. This will take you to the Front entrance to the Park. I have gone that way several times with a 38' pulling a toad with no problems with turns or narrow roads. I always unhook toad at check in and drive it to my site first, then take motorhome in. There is a back way into the park that i would not try in that size unit.
glen6591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #4

We stayed there in 2012, and plan to go back again this year. It is a very nice park, but it is also extremely tight. Our site put us at the limit of the leveling ability of our 40 ft 5th wheel we had at the time. It seemed that the majority of the sites had significant slopes. We are taking our bus in this year and have already booked a site that was described as 'level'. We'll see what their idea of level is; going in with fingers crossed. Our bus has nowhere near the leveling ability of the 5th wheel without doing some major blocking..... We will take the toad in and scout things out.
Also, I recall there are two ways in to the park and there were warning signs that directed larger rigs to avoid one of them. We think the park is worth another visit, just hoping it can be done with the bus.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:14 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
We took our 40’ and found a site without problem. I think we called the park first and they recommended one that was easy access. As I recall, some loops are very tight, and some sites unsuitable for a big rig. Strong recommendation to call before making your reservation!!!
Beautiful park
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I came from Cleveland TN so I used 60 to 30 in a 42' Dynasty. Some of 30 was interesting but not sure I'd go that way again in my new ride...08 HR Navigator 45'. Looking at the I-40 way I would still use 30 but make the DW drive the toad on it. Seems like there may have been a short bridge I was a little overweight on.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen6591 View Post
You have heard right very nice place to visit. The best route for a motorhome of that size is to go to exit 288 on I-40 in cookeville Tn . Tn-111 toward Sparta Tn. This will take you to the Front entrance to the Park. I have gone that way several times with a 38' pulling a toad with no problems with turns or narrow roads. I always unhook toad at check in and drive it to my site first, then take motorhome in. There is a back way into the park that i would not try in that size unit.

I'm sitting here right now in A-14, the above is correct. I'm in a 38' DP and had no problem getting here, but the sites are somewhat un-level. You might need extra blocking.

Take the south entrance with an RV and ignore all the "quicker" suggestions from Google.a

It's a truly beautiful place, one of TN's hidden gems.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #8

Exclamation

since we're on the subject of 'getting to the beautiful park with our large motorhome', I'll share with you another great Georgia park to see - Amicalola Falls state park campground.

here's why: tallest water fall in Georgia, one of the 7 natural wonders, at 729' high

here's why not: the campground is at the top!

here's the scoop: the campground office is at the bottom, at the park entrance... the 'road' to the campground winds UP 729' in elevation change, along a 1.2mi winding road with a 25% posted grade... crazy. Even the campground is a 'hilly' subject, with a switchback included. Nice.

[that's more than 1' of rise for every 9' of travel...for those who want to 'know']

I actually was more worried about the trip 'down' - my brakes, than the torque needed to get 'up' to the campground. What a sight!

Amicalola Falls Adventure Lodges of Georgia | Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge | Georgia State Parks | Georgia State Park Map
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (718).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	200816  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
We stayed there in 2012, and plan to go back again this year. It is a very nice park, but it is also extremely tight. Our site put us at the limit of the leveling ability of our 40 ft 5th wheel we had at the time. It seemed that the majority of the sites had significant slopes. We are taking our bus in this year and have already booked a site that was described as 'level'. We'll see what their idea of level is; going in with fingers crossed. Our bus has nowhere near the leveling ability of the 5th wheel without doing some major blocking..... We will take the toad in and scout things out.
Also, I recall there are two ways in to the park and there were warning signs that directed larger rigs to avoid one of them. We think the park is worth another visit, just hoping it can be done with the bus.
Thanks for the reply. When are you going? We are reserved July 19th for Area C Campsite C176. It also says "level". If you are going before us and happen to be near there let me know what it looks like as far as access, level, and tightness of loop. I'll do the same for you if we are going first. Thanks
Old 04-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithtools View Post
I'm sitting here right now in A-14, the above is correct. I'm in a 38' DP and had no problem getting here, but the sites are somewhat un-level. You might need extra blocking.

Take the south entrance with an RV and ignore all the "quicker" suggestions from Google.a

It's a truly beautiful place, one of TN's hidden gems.
Thanks for the reply. If you happen to get over near C176 before you go let me know what it looks like as far as level, access, and tightness of loop for a 41 footer. That's where we're reserved. Thanks again and have fun!
Old 04-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #11

I agree with glen.
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascdds View Post
Thanks for the reply. When are you going? We are reserved July 19th for Area C Campsite C176. It also says "level". If you are going before us and happen to be near there let me know what it looks like as far as access, level, and tightness of loop. I'll do the same for you if we are going first. Thanks
We are booked for 2nd week of August and have a site in the B loop, site B128, also described as 'level' on their web site. We've started a spreadsheet of camps we have stayed in and note the actual site, plus we like to scout around and document potential future sites if we think we are going to go back to the same camp/park.
I'm sure it will be a great trip. This will be the final week of a seven week tour, really looking forward to it.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:31 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascdds View Post
Thanks for the reply. If you happen to get over near C176 before you go let me know what it looks like as far as level, access, and tightness of loop for a 41 footer. That's where we're reserved. Thanks again and have fun!
I walked by C176 and I think you are fine, it's one of the more level sites here. It's a bit narrow but should be easy to back into. Pic attached. Lots of hiking and beautiful scenery here, you'll certainly enjoy yourself.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180429_111501.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	200916
Old 04-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithtools View Post
I walked by C176 and I think you are fine, it's one of the more level sites here. It's a bit narrow but should be easy to back into. Pic attached. Lots of hiking and beautiful scenery here, you'll certainly enjoy yourself.Attachment 200916
Thanks, awesome!