Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fall visit to the Northeast

Planning a trip from Idaho to see the fall colors (as leaf peepers) late September to mid October. Is this the good time to see the fall colors there. Thinking about VT, NH or the Maine area. Any recommendations on campgrounds (passport america or other reasonably priced CGs). Plan on basing the MH there and take day trips with the toad.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We live in central Massachusetts. Peak foliage is Columbus Day in October, Peak is a little earlier as you move northward into Vermont or New Hampshire.

Route 2 in western Massachusetts is known as "The Mohawk Trail" and is incredibly popular during early October peak foliage, lots of church suppers, roadside barbeques, etc. Norman Rockwell type rural images, great for viewing and photographing.

We also like Woodstock and Queechee, Vermont area (probably last week of September). Covered Bridges, Mountain views, breathtaking. Some of these areas were hit hard with flooding last year and may not be completely rebuilt yet.

I have no campground information, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly with recommendations.

Have a great trip, it is a beautiful time of year to be here.

Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Silver Springs In Saco Maine is a Passport America park. Just off the exit on Rt 95. 1 mile up Rt#1. Easy travel to the White Mountains of NH and western Maine colors.

Keep in Mind, as a prime tourist spot and with the influx of the "Silver haired Leaf Peeper", reservations will be a requirement.

The state of Maine maintains a website with daily updates of fall colors. Do yourselve a favor and check in there come fall.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This can be helpful.
Foliage Vermont's Foliage Predictor or Forecaster
Old 07-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out Danforth Bay in Freedom NH. Very close to the white Mtns. Very nice campground.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Do a search on this web site for Vermont and Maine campgrounds for good suggestions. As stated above a week before and after Columbus day weekend are the best times for New Hampshire and Vermont. For us its a little bit of heaven we have been doing the Vermont thing in the fall the past 30 yrs.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We did the trip last year... NH, VT, NY, Mass then came on down to Williamsburg. On leaving WBurg westbound on I-64 we found the best leaves of the entire trip
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
We live in central Massachusetts. Peak foliage is Columbus Day in October, Peak is a little earlier as you move northward into Vermont or New Hampshire.

Route 2 in western Massachusetts is known as "The Mohawk Trail" and is incredibly popular during early October peak foliage, lots of church suppers, roadside barbeques, etc. Norman Rockwell type rural images, great for viewing and photographing.

We also like Woodstock and Queechee, Vermont area (probably last week of September). Covered Bridges, Mountain views, breathtaking. Some of these areas were hit hard with flooding last year and may not be completely rebuilt yet.

I have no campground information, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly with recommendations.

Have a great trip, it is a beautiful time of year to be here.
GMAN:
Might I add to the above excellent post:
Apples will be in, fresh cider, the wonderful smell of camp fires, a slab of sharp cheddar on your hot apple pie...

If you are an old airplane person Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Rhinebeck, NY is a grass airport where they have shows every weekend. Even if you are not an airplane person it is unbelievable. Also, West Point is a hop skip away.

New England is a wonderful place but not so much in the Winter.

60vette
Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm getting ready to head out on this trip in the next couple of days. Since this will be our first time there, we are looking forward to seeing the beauty of the area. Course, since we have no time table, we don't know exactly where we are going, but will know it when we get there. Only concern i have is where to park the MH for our day trips in the toad. But, guess that is part of the adventure. Thanks to all for the tips!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #10

Stayed here, Vermont campgrounds, camping in Vermont, Vermont RV Parks , this summer while working in Barre VT Very nice.

I used to fly into old Rhinebeck Aerodrome with my folks in the early 70's, it was a great show back then.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the past we have headed up to Burlington, Vermont around the 4th of October. From here you can take nice drives during the day to the northern, souther and eastern parts of Vermont. We recommend in staying in one of Burlington's city parks called North Beach Campground, reserve your site early as i am sure the full hookup sites are already booked.

Other points of interest in that area are:
Shelburne Museum
Church Street in Burlington
Vermont Audubon Great fall hikes.
Penny Cluse Cafe Great place to eat.
Magic Hat Brewing

There is so much more to do in that area.

Good luck with your decision.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman69 View Post
I'm getting ready to head out on this trip in the next couple of days. Since this will be our first time there, we are looking forward to seeing the beauty of the area. Course, since we have no time table, we don't know exactly where we are going, but will know it when we get there. Only concern i have is where to park the MH for our day trips in the toad. But, guess that is part of the adventure. Thanks to all for the tips!
gman:

Send me a private message.

60Vette
Old 09-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #13

Cool some suggestions

We are currently in Balsam Cove rv park in east orland maine.They are a p/a park with great size pull-thrus and a magnificent lake.There are great lobster pounds nearby--Mainely Lobster is one,and stands to purchase for your own cooking.Ellsworth and Bucksport are nearby as well as Bangor to the west and Bar Harbor to the east.In vermont we enjoyed Lone Pine Campground in colchester near Burlington.Nice sizesites.close to shelburne and burlington and a short trip to Stowe VT. for a pilgrimage to Ben And Jerrys.Have A great time we are and will be here for another week.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #14

Hi Gman69
I did that trip 3 years ago. I liked Vermont the best but you should be very aware that most private campgrounds close up on Columbus Day and most state parks have not been updated in many decades and may not take a MH. They also close on Labor Day. There are some on the coast of Maine that open year round or late in the season and that is a very scenic area near Acadia NP. Always call ahead. Roads tend to be narrow in town and in fair but not great condition. Look for routes that take you through upstate New York and into upper New England. Avoid the metropolitan areas of the northeast and preserve your sanity while driving. Take your time, talk to people and you will find that each state can be very different culturally and politically. You will also enjoy the trip more if you do a little research about the history of some of the towns. I always liked reading roadside historic markers. I hope this is what you were looking for.

D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote