Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #1

My family and I are planning a vacation in Florida between Christmas and New Year. I am looking for a rv park that is fun for the kids (8 and under), close to things to do, and decent weather for that time of year. Any feedback and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #2

My family and I are planning a vacation in Florida between Christmas and New Year. I am looking for a rv park that is fun for the kids (8 and under), close to things to do, and decent weather for that time of year. Any feedback and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-04-2006, 05:31 AM   #3

Not trying to be funny but... that time of year I would have to go with "SOUTH WAY DOWN SOUTH" Up here in Northeast Florida is still to cold and the pools are not heated and the weather is an unknown factor, and the campgrounds are full and hard to get it to.

JAXFL
JAXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:18 AM   #4

Between Christmas and New Years is a major migration time for the Snowbirds, ourselves included, so most places will be busy or full.

This will dictate where you will be able to stay more than anything.

We have to make our reservations a year ahead where we stay at, Sherwood RV Resort in Kissimmee. It is only about four miles from Disney and Sea World, so it is very busy with lots to do in the area.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Torchbearer,
Consider getting a CG directory and start calling. Everybody seems to be in Florida the time you have chosen to be here. Central Forida can't be beat for kid things to do. The Orlando/Kissimmee area, is a good place to start. Consider going for the brass ring and calling Disney World and see if they have a site available. The price is high, but for a short stay, there is nothing like Ft. Wilderness CG. Tropical Palms would be my second recommendation. The weather can be tricky, but take the chance on central Florida. There are inside and outside activities. Cape Kennedy on the East coast and Busch Gardens on the West coast, with a bunch of stuff in between. Regardless of the weather, the week will go very fast.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:50 AM   #6

Florida have very diverse weather that time of year. Today the high will be in the mid 70's and the lows in the hig 50's in our area. Last year was 15 degrees colder.

What kind of activiaties do you want. Tourist area try Tropical Palms Kissimmee. Rural something like Suwannee River Hideaway close to Old Town. Beach Gulf Beach Campground in Sarasota. There is also Rock Crusher Canyon in Crystal River. Red Coconut in Ft Myers, Peace River Campground in Arcadia. Keys are probalby booked already and a lot of campgrounds have a minimum stay this time of year.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #7

I appreciate all of the feedback. I should have been a little more specific. I am looking to go no farther than Orlando or there abouts. i want a campground that I can stay at for 5 days and not have to leave to find things to do. My family enjoys swimming, bike riding, they love to play on swings and slides, and some hiking trails. I have visited many KOA sites, but most of the sites are so vague I can't tell anything about them. If there are any recommendations I would appreciate it.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Torchbearer:
I appreciate all of the feedback. I should have been a little more specific. I am looking to go no farther than Orlando or there abouts. i want a campground that I can stay at for 5 days and not have to leave to find things to do. My family enjoys swimming, bike riding, they love to play on swings and slides, and some hiking trails. I have visited many KOA sites, but most of the sites are so vague I can't tell anything about them. If there are any recommendations I would appreciate it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try this campground search site.
RVParkReviews
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:15 AM   #9

Sounds like your needs give you a couple of options ; first and foremost is Fort Wilderness, can't be beat for any and all. Secondly is Tropical Palms ... A little further away try Fort Summit KOA. Your biggest problem will be getting reservations. good luck

PS Sorry can't do much about the weather

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:18 AM   #10

Florida State Parks might be for you or if you want something more deluxe try

River Ranch bit South of Orlando but not very far.
it is actually an independant part of Westgate Resorts River Ranch and has every thing from horseback riding to skeet shooting and a game management road that goes for miles that is bikeable and two parking stops for the trail heads for part of the FL trail.

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:35 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Clerbrook in Clermont keeps sites open for transits. They have 3 well heated pools, a playground, flat roads to ride the bike. They are 20 miles north of Disney. Lake Magic on 192 at Kissimmee also keeps sites open but may be booked at that time as only about 7 miles from D main gate. The state parks don't have pools in that area. 6 campgrounds in the Orlando area went condos so camping space is at a premium.