Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Family campgrounds in/near Charleston SC?

Hi All,

My family will be spending approximately 2 days in the Charleston area on our way to Myrtle Beach this year. The guys plan on touring the aircraft carrier, etc, while the gals will be checking out Charleston. Any nice campgrounds that anyone would recommend. We will be coming in from the North.

2004 Thor Mandalay 38B
Stump Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"James Island County Park"

A great doggy run with water access all fenced in.

A water slide park across from the campground.

And don't forget to visit "Angel Oak."

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
We are heading to charelston this week and we are staying at the oak plantation campground. I will let you know how it turns out.
2008 Damon Challenger 376
EZ tow dolly
2015 dart GT
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
We were in Charleston several weeks ago. Spent the week at James Island and if you are traveling with kids and plan on spending time in the park, with the bike paths and water park it would provide something for them to do. We had planned to stay at Oak Plantation but decided on James Island because on the location to downtown and was central to the other areas we were interested in seeing. Plus it gave us access to the bike paths and dock areas as something to do when we came back early. Only problem was we usually got back later in the afternoon and to tired from walking all day to use them as much as we wanted....

On other threads about James Island, it was commented on how tight the approach to the Park was. They were right, the roads are a bit narrow and sometimes the trees are closer and lower than I would like or wanted. the Park instructions had us coming off of Folley Rd and using Maybank Hwy to go to Riverland Dr. The next road to Riverland was Central Park Rd, but there was no light there and getting onto Riverland Dr easily depended on the time of day. I initally arrived to James Island on Maybank....but after scouting out the others, we departed using Camp Rd. Less stressful and just as easy.

As you stated you will be approaching from the north side of Charleston and visiting Patriot Point area as well as down town....on another thread Mt Pleasant/Charleston KOA was mentioned as has Oak Plantation and from a map view, both appear about equal distance from downtown.

I drive a F350 CC DRW, driving in town was interesting...and being new to driving such a beast was managable but parking was a problem on street meters because on the cost and width of the streets. There are a lot of parking garages listed on the maps but since I've never taken a dually in one yet, didn't want to try it while on vacation...

Found there is a gravel parking lot at the end of N Market St that is run by the cruise ship people. Cost us $8.00 for the day, come and go as many times as we wish, and was very convient to the lower section of Charleston. The second trip downtown we found out about a parking garage just north of the Visitor Ctr that has a lower/ground level section for RVs and larger vechiles. We were able to park there for the afternoon.
You need to enter that garage from Mary St.

Charleston provides a Trolly service called Dash that we used from the Visitor area to other areas, its free and times between stops/pickups were convient.

Found this site, INZANOUTS, very helpful in planning the trip.
2000 Alpenlite, 29 ft Valhalla - 2014 F350
Workshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

We LOVED James Island.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
...and water park it would provide something for them to do.
I was at James island for 3 weeks in January. I'm no kid but I couldn't help but wish that water park had been open then. It looks really great.
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
I also suggest James Island. I have 43' M/H and toad and had NO problem getting in or out of the park...just take your time
2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Well here is my review for oak plantation .....we loved it! Very clean and quiet. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. The only thing we did have a problem with was the that the pool closed at 7:30 p.m. We thougt that was a bit early. Also there updated website claims that the Publix grocery store is up front and in walking distance ....not the case. Didn't bother us but just something to look out for. The location was good for us. We did get a rental car as we dis not bring our toad. They were 2 miles up the road. Took us approximately 15 min to get into town. We looked into James island cg and found out that they do have a waterpark but the county runs it and it costs $12/person/day to go in. Thougt it was too much. I will stay at the oak plantation again and will recommend it to anyone traveling through the Charelston area.

2008 Damon Challenger 376
EZ tow dolly
2015 dart GT
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote