Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #1

Favorite campgrounds, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine

taking my family from syracuse area to the coast of maine in august. looking for some favorite campgrounds along the way. probably go thru northern NY, across the top of lake champlain and into vermont that way.

we have no idea what to see and do, so we thought we could drive along, sight see a bit, and find a nice campground for the night...lakes streams, quaint towns and campfires...anybody have any favorite campgrounds and thiings of interest for us to see and do along the way(kids are 12 and 16).

hoping to get to maine, walk along the coast and have some fresh lobster and seafood...not really sure what to expect....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I can't speak for everyone and I'm sure you'll get as lot of input on this.
For me, in upstate NY, I love Lake George RV park.
Lake George RV Park: Lake George New York RV Camping At Its Finest

In northern NH, Mountain Lakes RV park. In the middle of the white mountains close to Mt Washington and lots to do in the area.
NH Family Camping at Mountain Lake Campground RV Park & Log Cabins

In Booth Bay ME, Shore Hills RV park close to town and a great coastal town.
Shore Hills Campground, Boothbay, Maine - in Maine's beautiful mid-coast region

In Bar Harbor, Narrows Too. You can be right on the water and experience the huge tidal differences. You'll be close to the town of Bar Harbor and Acadia Nat'l Park.
Narrows Too RV Resort | Encore RV Resort in Maine | Bar Harbor RV park

Good luck with your plans.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In the central part of NH, try Danforth Bay CG and Resort, Freedom, NH. The best fried seafood in Maine is just over the border from Freedom. Bay Haven restaurant in Cornish, ME has all the seafood you'd want.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:09 PM   #4

I notice you didn't mention 50A service, cable tv, pull-throughs, etc. So, dry camping then. (the only 'real' camping IMHO) I can attest to several Vt State Parks:
Grand Isle, about 30min from Burlington.
Lake Carmi, close to the Quebec border
Ellemore, with a nice hiking path
Maidstone, our favourite, near the NH border, remote but beautiful, clean lake.

Have fun! Drive safely!

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
RogerRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:48 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have stayed at Lake Dunmore Kamperville. You would go across the Crown Point Bridge on the southern end of Lake Champlain and that would put you close to Lake Dunmore. A lot of activities at this campground. Check my pictures from a number of different we have gone there.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #6

In NH, if you like dry camping/campfires/etc., there are several national Forest CG's thru-out that your 'C' would fit in. Franconia Notch SP in NH has a nice CG - Lafayette Place - but it doesn't allow pets, if that is a factor. I hope your destination in Maine is Acadia NP - we like Blackwoods CG there - it is popular, make reservations. The SP's listed previously for VT are all very nice (can't speak for Elmore...). Have a nice trip! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Favorite campgrounds, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine

In NH, on Rt 302 about halfway between Littleton and Lisbon is an older, smallish KOA that is run by the couple (Steve and Jane) who have owned it for 15 years. Very nice folks, locals, salt of the earth. CG is very friendly, several summer regulars, so a family atmosphere. Lies right along the Ammonoosac River, very scenic and good fishing (Lic req). The town of Littleton is Norman Rockwell New Hampshire. No less than three local diners right along Main St. Very close to lots of things: Cannon Tram, Franconia Notch, Mt Washington, Flume Gorge, Old Man Historic Site.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #8

In Maine, check out Red Apple CG in Kennebunkport, close to downtown and Rt 1. We go to Cape Porpoise to eat at the Ramp, and see lobster boats. You can also see Walkers Point, and just might see the Bush family.
nhjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoll View Post
I notice you didn't mention 50A service, cable tv, pull-throughs, etc. So, dry camping then. (the only 'real' camping IMHO) I can attest to several Vt State Parks:
Grand Isle, about 30min from Burlington.
Lake Carmi, close to the Quebec border
Ellemore, with a nice hiking path
Maidstone, our favourite, near the NH border, remote but beautiful, clean lake.

Have fun! Drive safely!

2010 Winnebago Aspect 28B
Let me add Queechi and Wilgus on the Connecticut , Elacoya SP on Lake Winnetka with full hookups and cable
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
Let me add Queechi and Wilgus on the Connecticut , Elacoya SP on Lake Winnetka with full hookups and cable

Ellacoya on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 06-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #11

I'm only 65 miles north of you so nothing here would be of interest to you. I'd suggest you jump off I 81 at Alexandria Bay and follow route 37 up along the St. Lawrence River and stop off at Massena to visit the St. Lawrence Seaway Power Project and the locks for the shipping lanes. There is a lot to see and do there and the children can learn a lot too.
I'm not familiar with camping there but depending on time you might be able to research it on the net.
You could return back down here via route 3 or route 11. Route 3 will bring you through the Adirondack Mountains and is quite scenic although the leaves won't be changing yet. The highway is good but like any mountainous highway it has it's twists and turns.
Enjoy the trip. Give us a report after you return home.
Lynn
Old 06-13-2016, 09:08 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
IN northern Vermont try Lone Pine Campground, Colchester, Vermont. It is a few miles north of Burlington. We are from that area and whenever we return that is where we stay. I have no idea what the availability is this time of year but worth a try. Good luck and safe travels.

Tags
campground