Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #1

Favorite Ohio Campgrounds?

We just started camping this summer. So far we've been out 3 times. I'm looking for some recommendations for our next weekend trip. We're just south of Columbus. We have 2 kids...our son is 14 and will definately go with us, probably take a friend...our daughter is 17 and works most weekends, so chances are she won't be going.

We've been to:
*Top O The Caves in Hocking Hills...it was OK. A perfect first place to go camping. Not far from home so we could run home if needed.
*Olive Branch Campground...it was 10 minutes away from King's Island. We took the kids to King's Island for a day. Campground was nice, but kids were bored. Or maybe they were tired from King's Island.
*Dogwood Valley Campground in Mt. Gilead...this was a nice, clean campground. Lots to do for the kids. We stayed here for 5 days.

Any places you would suggest we could check out? We prefer electric and water. Having sewer onsite isn't a big deal. Oh, we will be taking our dog...a pomeranian!

Thanks for any/all suggestions!!!
heyaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WE have friends who workcamp here
http://www.whisperinghillsrvpark.com/index.html
During the summer. Spent a long weekend there this spring and it looked great.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I highly recommend Whispering Hills. We're there about every year. The best bang for your buck is reserving on one of their half price weekends. They usually have a couple of them, early in the season, each year. We like doing their daisy chain special. Camp 1 weekend, leave your unhooked camper on an unoccupied site for free & get the next weekend at a 10% discount.

If you want recommendations, just peruse my campground reviews for OH on this site (also have PA, WV, KY, IN & MI). The only one I had a real problem with was Logan/Hocking Hills KOA over 4th of July wknd this yr. You can also see more CG photos by clicking on the Photo Albums link in my signature.

If you want info on OH state parks, Jim Slifka (Superslif) is our resident expert there. I've been to quite a few, but he's the most knowledgeable - both for here & in PA. He also has hundreds of pictures in his albums here too. Take a peek.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #4

Mohican adventures shouldn't be far for you. Full hookups, with an indoor pool & hot tub.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #5

The only park we have visited in Ohio is in Loudonville and it was called Wally World. It had alot of activities for the kids and was a clean,nice, friendly park. We would go back there as long as we can find it, you really need to ask them the directions since it was difficult for us to find, but then we weren't familiar with Ohio at all and were just driving thru.
realRVvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We'll be going to Mt. Gilead State Park this weekend.

Quote:
Dogwood Valley Campground in Mt. Gilead...this was a nice, clean campground. Lots to do for the kids. We stayed here for 5 days.
We'll check out Dogwood Valley while were there.

~Two Thumbs for Whispering Hills on the BOGO / 1/2 off weekends. Usually one or two in May and One or two weekends the two weeks after Memorial Day. Otherwise they are a little pricey in the summer.

~As far as state parks in Ohio. Mohican SP (pix) is by far the most popular in Ohio. Located about an hour northeast of Columbus. One of only 3 state parks in Ohio to have a pool. It is a very nice stainless steel pool. There is a river that runs next to the campsites where you can tube or kayak. Mohican is the canoeing capital of Ohio. For a summer stay you must reserve many months ahead. 20+ miles of single track mountain biking, hiking.

~South of Columbus Hocking Hills State Park (pix) is nice because of the hiking, but you have to watch the sites there because about a 1/3 are not level or too short for RV's.

~ I thought Pike Lake south of Columbus was nice. We only did a drive thru there last year, but have it on my list to visit.

Like I said we are going to Mt. Gilead State Park (45 minutes north of Columbus) this weekend for the first time. I'll report back next week.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if you want to go to the western part of the state try this place www.arrowhead-campground.com it is almost on the OH/IN line just north of I70. I have my 5W parked there on a seasonal lot, but they do have about a dozen or so weekend spots they keep open. very clean place.

bob
Old 09-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #8

Thanks for all the input!!! It looks like we'll definately be heading towards Whispering Hills and Mohican State Park. Mohican probably next season, as nothing is available on weekends. Wally World looks like a nice campground too. I found it at wallworldresort.com

I have next weekend off work. Hopefully I can get something booked.

Superslif - When we walked thru Mt. Gilead St. Pk. campground, everyone there was very nice. They were only maybe 1/4 full since it was a weekday, but every person outside made it a point to say hello or wave. Maybe they were just curious about what we were doing or where we came from. LOL I'll be watching for your review.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Before we moved back to Texas in 1997, we had our 1st 5th wheel on a year-round site at Camp Toodik just east of Loudonville since we couldn't store it at home in Mount Vernon. I notice it's under new ownership now, but it used to be very quiet and rustic for those who are into that while still offering full hookups. We'd go up to the 5th wheel and spend many weekends there.

I'd be curious to see any feedback on what it's like now.....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't think I'm even going to make any reservation for Mt. Gilead, as there are only 2 sites reserved so far for this weekend. I'm more worried about the rain coming in on Thur. Our weather guys said you will get wet Thursday period....We had such a dry this summer and so far this fall. We had some rain last week during the Friday night high school football game, but I couldn't tell ya when it last rained enough to help our lawn....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Between Friday night football games & the OSU home game this weekend, people will be too busy doing other things to bother with camping. Especially coming early, you'll have your pick of sites. The rain for Thursday is supposed to be outta here by dinner-time so it looks like you'll be fine by campfire. Ya just might have to set up in the rain though.

Lori-
Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ohio campgrounds

We just pulled into the Buckeye Lake KOA this evening, and got a great site with all the goodies. Ask for the premium sites, have patio, lawn swings fire pits actual deck tables and chairs. We have been disappointed with several camprgounds the last few nights, but this one is nice. Just thought we would let you know about it. On our way back to colorado from Washington DC.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If you want a good pizza place to eat, go back into Millersport & stop at Pizza Cottage. They make 'em fresh right there.

Lori-
Old 09-16-2010, 03:56 AM   #14

I always wondered what "premium sites" meant. Now I know! LOL

Yes, Pizza Cottage is very good! Papa Boos is a fun place too, it's right on the lake! They have live bands on the weekend evenings. It gets kind of roudy in there sometimes towards the end of the night.