Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This was years ago but the neighbors used to go to Brownsville, Tx, I couldn't tell her that I can't even find the resort they used to go too. She tells me I would love it there, but what can I tell her. Shes now a widow and in her 80ties.
Every time I see her we talk about going...

1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #30

Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
I am sitting in Sierra Vista, AZ. South of Tuscon, East of Nogales. Approximately 25 miles North of the border. We have been coming here for part of every winter since 1997. Never encountered any hostile people. We used to see illegals walking the RR tracks and they would wave as we passed. Visiting Border towns can be a challenge if you don't speak Spanish. Some stores conduct all their business in Spanish. A customer who speaks English will often act as your interpreter. Very safe IMHO.
We live south of Sierra Vista between Palominas and Naco, 3 miles as the crow flies to the border. I never worry about the illegal immigrants most just want to get further north. Drug runners are the ones that cut the fences.

Connie, Lisa, and Pepper (rescue puppy). Our blog: arizonalizards.com or bird photography: zenfolio.com/arizonabirder
Newmar Dutch Star 4041 2016
Arizona Lizards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #31
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
Sign the BLM is posting in border areas
I especially like that last recommendation!

Hopefully it will result in even more room for me on "my" BLM land "North of the Border.... Down Mexico Way".

'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #32
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
If you are in Fort Davis, go see the fort.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #33
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
BIG Iron is the title of a song by Marty Robbins. (He sang cowboy songs, rather good ones too)

The story goes that a man came to town with a Big Iron on his hip, People were... shall we say respectful.

Well he let it be known he as an Arizona Ranger would not be too long in town. He had come to take an outlaw back alive or maybe dead and the name of that outlaw was Texas Red.

Well to shorting it a bit, Texas Red had already killed 20 men, he figured 21 would be the ranger with the big iron on his hip.

He figured wrong. He had not but cleared leather (Gotten his gun out of the holster) when the Ranger's Big Iron put an end to his outlaw ways.
This has to rate as one of the top 10 country songs ever!
slanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #34
Savage 320 tells me not to worry about it. Along the border where we have been half the vehicles on the road have been Border Patrol.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Wow! I'm amazed at the stories out there and the fear. Driving along the borders and especially visiting Big Bend is absolutely safe. Thousands of folks visit Big Bend. Millions of people live around the borders. People build elegant homes near the borders, go siteseeing and there are awesome 4-wheeling drives at the borders. We have hiked around the borders and went birding. We live south of Tucson, AZ forty miles from the border as do thousands of others. We have no concerns whatsoever. I would hate to live being so paranoid.

There is crime everywhere - even in your home town. The border is no worse. Once an illegal crosses he wants nothing to do with you. He's looking for a fast remote route. Go and enjoy Big Bend as we have many times.

Personally, I would not be worried about the illegals, it's the drug traffickers I would be concerned about!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Last time I was at Big Bend, a young Mexican boy offer me a burro ride to cross the river. It was just a dollar to get across, so I figgered, "Why not?!?"

PS. He wanted $5.00 to get back to the U.S. side!

I bet that wasn't the first time he had done that!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #37
Monaco Owners Club
Just got in from a quick trip to Big Bend to miss some of the 20* temps we've been experiencing here in central Texas. Had a great time and didn't hear of, or witness personally any type of criminal activity. Snowed on us on the way home today between Terlingua & Alpine! Go figure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2857.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	87841   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150302_165144.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	87842  

Name:	20150302_165424.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	87843   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150304_123434.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	87844  

Name:	20150302_165447.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	87845   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150303_133812.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	87846  

Name:	20150303_142848.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	87847  
'98 Signature 42' Classic Suite purchased July 2000
Toads: (4 down) Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy 2500HD 4x4, or Scout Terra
Trailers: 28' HRC Stacker, 24' Look; contents vary per trip
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #38
Workhorse Chassis Owner
we were in Big Bend NP 2 years ago in Jan. no problems but do go to Terlinqua. there is a bar there I forgot the name of it but the furniture in it is beautiful redwood or cedar but worthwhile visiting for a cocktail and they have the largest selection of tequila Ive ever seen something like 75 different makes.
WIT# 34347
lakewoodpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
I'm from South Padre island and I worked for a govt. contract company on Coast Guard and Boarder Patrol boats. We went to big bend and many other parks along the river. Lots of boarder patrol all around the area- I would stay there - Most of crossings are not in populated areas - I would not be afraid and will probably stay there soon. Crossing Mexico is a different story. Progresso was safe for a long time and many still go - not me to many gun fights on main street for me. Have Fun and just be aware of your surroundings as you should anyplace.
Dave and Suzy, Quincey and Chica
My two youngest in Coast Guard
2006 Monaco Knight 40ft
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #40

that last picture looks like something I saw in the Willie Nelson movie Barbarossa

It was filmed around Terlingua
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #41
National RV Owners Club
We are in Deming, NM and heading to Columbus with a bunch of people to watch the reinactment of Poncho Villa's raid.

Everyone tells me not to worry. But I feel a whole lot safer with a group. Just my 2 cents worth. Safe travels.
2006 National Tropi-Cal T396 - 2002 Toyota 4Runner 4X4 with REMCO Disconnect Drive
Anywhere, North America
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #42
Winnebago Owners Club
Live within sight of the border on the Colorado River. Every couple weeks Homeland Security (Border Patrol) runs a boat along the river. Bets are whether they will run aground or not.

From observation it has become apparent that the guy driving is not the one who has to get out and push the boat off of the bar.

We cross the border frequently and feel comfortable and safe when there.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote