Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am sitting in Sierra Vista, AZ. South of Tuscon, East of Nogales. Approximately 25 miles North of the border. We have been coming here for part of every winter since 1997. Never encountered any hostile people. We used to see illegals walking the RR tracks and they would wave as we passed. Visiting Border towns can be a challenge if you don't speak Spanish. Some stores conduct all their business in Spanish. A customer who speaks English will often act as your interpreter. Very safe IMHO.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #16

big bend

we have young female friends who live in terlingua, tx and work in big bend national park. they even do their shopping in the little mexican border town of ojinaga without any problems. they also live outside of town in the desert. they have to watch out for rattlesnakes and mountain lions though. also a good time of year to visit big bend
barthboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacking View Post
That went over my head.
BIG Iron is the title of a song by Marty Robbins. (He sang cowboy songs, rather good ones too)

The story goes that a man came to town with a Big Iron on his hip, People were... shall we say respectful.

Well he let it be known he as an Arizona Ranger would not be too long in town. He had come to take an outlaw back alive or maybe dead and the name of that outlaw was Texas Red.

Well to shorting it a bit, Texas Red had already killed 20 men, he figured 21 would be the ranger with the big iron on his hip.

He figured wrong. He had not but cleared leather (Gotten his gun out of the holster) when the Ranger's Big Iron put an end to his outlaw ways.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #18

Wow! I'm amazed at the stories out there and the fear. Driving along the borders and especially visiting Big Bend is absolutely safe. Thousands of folks visit Big Bend. Millions of people live around the borders. People build elegant homes near the borders, go siteseeing and there are awesome 4-wheeling drives at the borders. We have hiked around the borders and went birding. We live south of Tucson, AZ forty miles from the border as do thousands of others. We have no concerns whatsoever. I would hate to live being so paranoid.

There is crime everywhere - even in your home town. The border is no worse. Once an illegal crosses he wants nothing to do with you. He's looking for a fast remote route. Go and enjoy Big Bend as we have many times.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Last time I was at Big Bend, a young Mexican boy offer me a burro ride to cross the river. It was just a dollar to get across, so I figgered, "Why not?!?"

\ken

PS. He wanted $5.00 to get back to the U.S. side!
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
The article in the link provide by Old Car Nut is dated June 26, 2010 and is about Federal land closed in 2006 in Arizona. I would not cancel a stop to Big Bend NP in Texas just because it is "to close to Mexico". No matter where you are in this country today you should always be aware of your surroundings and if you do not feel comfortable then leave. If you are in the area stop by The McDonald Observatory in Ft. Davis
x2.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Wow! I'm amazed at the stories out there and the fear. Driving along the borders and especially visiting Big Bend is absolutely safe. Thousands of folks visit Big Bend. Millions of people live around the borders. People build elegant homes near the borders, go siteseeing and there are awesome 4-wheeling drives at the borders. We have hiked around the borders and went birding. We live south of Tucson, AZ forty miles from the border as do thousands of others. We have no concerns whatsoever. I would hate to live being so paranoid.

There is crime everywhere - even in your home town. The border is no worse. Once an illegal crosses he wants nothing to do with you. He's looking for a fast remote route. Go and enjoy Big Bend as we have many times.
X2 - the world is a dangerous place. No more or less so as best I can tell along the Texas border with Mexico than any downtown big city in America. And safer than many I've visited.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
BTW ... I paid the $5.00 and we had a good laugh about it! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Last time I was at Big Bend, a young Mexican boy offer me a burro ride to cross the river. It was just a dollar to get across, so I figgered, "Why not?!?"

\ken

PS. He wanted $5.00 to get back to the U.S. side!
We took the leaky boat across. From there we walked into the tiny town and had a wonderful lunch and beer. The Mexican people are very gentle, caring folks even though they are very poor. They have a good sense of humor.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #24

We have lived within three miles of the border for over 18 years, in a largely traveled illegal area in Arizona. In all of that time we have had fences cut repeatedly, so much that our barb wire fence has not been repaired in about 10 years. However, we have never had a problem with the illegals bothering us personally.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #25

My wife has a fear of boats, not water just boats, so we don't cruise. If you fear something just don't do it. Why be uncomfortable. There are so many places to go that are not near small border towns. Love San Diego, go there often (hate the traffic going down but that's another story). I really don't think I will visit Chicago in the near future. The motorhome has wheels, so I go where I like.
JMHO
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
We used to make 1-2 trips per year to some part of the Rio Grande River, while I young and growing up in west Texas in the 60's and 70's. We floated the canyons and caught catfish and an occasional gar. We rarely saw people and I don't remeber ever seeing a ranger unless we drove back to Rio Grande Village for supplies.

After a 35 year absence, I took my wife for her 1st visit to Big Bend in 2013. We drove about 50 miles of back country roads and dry camped at RGV. I saw no signs of ilicit activity or questionable people. The only issue I had was how much more restrictive the rules are now. There other issue is that a monster flood rearranged the river where we used to camp (Solis) and rendered it unrecognizable to me

If you go to BBNP, you have to visit Terlingua and Lajits. The drive along the river on 170 toward Presidio is one of the most scenic in Texas. The Starlight Theatre in Terlingua is a fun place for dinner. There you can get a taste of a World Championship Chile recipe from the Chile cook off. No beans, sorry.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacking View Post
I am planning a stop to Big Bend NP in TX. I have some relatives who are, lets say overly cautious and are worried about my safety being on the border of Mexico. Should I be concerned? Even vigilant? Because I have not been, but don't know if I am being naive

Thanks
You'll enjoy BBNP this time of year! We'll be there starting Monday, March 2nd and staying a few days....most likely be staying at Lajitas. Shoot me a pm or post here if your schedule coincides. Happy motoring
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile Mexico travel

Agree with those who recommend vigilance when traveling or even going to the mall these days. That said, sure would hate to miss seeing places because of fear. Wondering, maybe get one or two other travelers together as safety in numbers. We plan on seeing Mexico and being aware but will enjoy the country, scenery and the people. Can hardly wait. Looks like so much of the country is getting blocked off to tourists or damaged by nature that think we had better see it now. Wish we could have started this retirement journey 10 years ago. Better late than never. lol
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote