Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Finding fuel/propane in Alaska?

Hi Everyone!

I'm contemplating a 3-5 week trip to Alaska this summer. I've heard numerous suggestions of never pass a gas station without filling up because you never know when the next one will show up. My question is this.... How tough is it to find propane (for my generator)?

2014 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
dogs162910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
The larger towns will have LP. Always drive off the top half of your tank, that way you will never get in trouble. Yes, some stations have closed, but the remaining stations are still close enough together for virtually any automobile. Keep in mind the businesses along the routes to/from Alaska were designed and positioned about 70 years ago when automobiles were crude compared to todays models.
While we were in Alaska I only saw one vehicle out of gasoline. A single man towing a TT with a pickup didn't know about driving off the top half of his tank, passed up a station thinking he would fill at the next one, but it was closed. I stopped to help, but the only gas I had was a couple gallons for my genset (had a 5er then). We poured it into his tank and I followed him on into Tok(about 8 miles).
I don't think I ever found filling stations more than 80 miles apart, and almost all sell gas and diesel.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Spent all last summer in Canada and Alaska and never had issues finding fuel or propane.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #4
We visited Alaska summer of 2014 via US, Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC, the Yukon, and of course through Tok. In Alaska we visited Skagway, then took the ferry to Haines. We continued our journey visiting Valdez, Seward, Homer, Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, Delta Junction and of course back through Tok. We then headed down the Cassiar with a stop in Hyder, Alaska. This is a must stop to watch the grizzlies catching salmon at Fish Creek, then back to the U.S. We drove our class A at 7.2 miles to the gallon (with which, I was really pleased) planning an average of 250 to 300 miles a day or 5 to 6 hours. Planning our overnights to this schedule we used about 1/2 tank of gasoline per day. Basically always off the top half of the tank and we always filled up before we camped. The generator is gas so we always had fuel just in case. We used electric heaters in addition to our furnace, which is propane for most the trip and the hot water is combination electric/propane. The refrigerator was operated on propane while traveling otherwise electric. Most nights we opted for electric and water and sewer when available which was probably 90% of the time. We found no problems with fuel (gasoline) and although only two propane fill ups (29 gallon capacity) for the entire trip of almost 14,000 miles in 5 months. Most campgrounds had propane available to purchase. I have to admit I wouldn't push it, there were times we filled in the morning and again before we stopped for the night. We did do one 500 mile day that took 12 hours and we filled 3 times. By the way our gas tank hold 75 gallons. Our suggestion is plan and go. Once we got above Fort Nelson in BC our comments, at every bend in the road, were a continually"WOW, WOW, WOW".
Triton 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you all for sharing! Now I'm REALLY excited to go!!!

Old 04-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
We used to live there for a few decades. You'll find propane/fuel available virtually everywhere you may travel. Pick up a copy of the Milepost which has details on every road in Alaska:

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

Joe and Debbie, Emma the Aussie Cattle Dog who adopted us
2012 Discovery 36J, Blue Ox and Air Force One, 2010 GMC Acadia Toad
USAF (Ret) WDM http://wd0m.com
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Starting in mainland Alaska. There is fuel and propane in homer, fuel and propane in soldotna, fuel and propane in Seward, fuel and propane in girdwood, anchorage, eagle River, Valdez, Palmer, Wasilla, Houston, trapper creek, Suetonius, Glenn Allen, toke, can't well, Healy, nenana, Fairbanks, North Pole and everywhere in between. If you go north of Fairbanks you have fuel in cold foot and Proudhon but not propane. Most fuel stations have propane so don't worry about it to much. I usually only fill up once a year, but have a dip,and diesel gen(almost never use).
2001 Volvo VNL660 Cummins N14, straight 10. 460HP holding 60MPH up a 7%.
2016 Heartland Road Warrior 420. Full time VERY soon.
Imurphy907 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The Alaska Hwy and Alaska are built on tourists, MANY in RV's. Fuel and propane are available everywhere. You wont have much use for the genny unless you are boondocking a lot as all campgrounds have elec. and water.
"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:20 PM   #9
We also did the trip in 2014, and left a bit earlier then many, crossing the Canadian border at the end of April. A few campgrounds were close, as we ahead of the main season by a few weeks.

Never had a problem on fuel (Diesel), but we have a large tank. Propane was topped off in Whitehorse, but we realistically could have made the full trip on one tank. (Feeding the then LP Fridge and Stovetop. Our heating is via Hydro Hot, off of the main Diesel.)

Besides stopping form time to time at RV Parks with full hook ups. We did really enjoy and appreciate the great values of the British Columbia, Yukon run parks. Usually with free firewood, and nice settings. Some were a bit too small for our 40' coach, so we'd just go to someplace else. Alaska too has great parks, and of course hard to beat the National Parks too... Many of those had full hook ups, or at least a good dumping station and portable water.

As mentioned, the Milepost. And, we joined the RVNET 2014 Alaska gang. Lots of cross sharing of current conditions. We also read back thru the 2012/2013 groups travel postings, and that helped us layout our schedule.

I will add that the Cassier, for us on the way South, has fewer stations. So after the Junction, plan accordingly. (But do take Cassier either up or down, it's probably as close as you'll get to the way the ALCAN had been.

Go slow when you need to, and I encourage those planning the trip - to budget enough time to stop and enjoy your journey along the way. Yes, sometimes life just insists that you put in long days of travel. But if it can be avoided, suggest getting off the road no later then 2:00PM... Kick back, have a fire, feed the skeeter's, temp the bears, watch a moose, see a beaver cutting down a tree, get out on a lake or river and see him build his home/dam, maybe some fishing is so inclined... Watch the birds, and look at the stars at night. Embrace the late sunsets, and early sunrises... and, enjoy each other along the way. It is, the journey...

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Even more great suggestions and comments. Thank you all for sharing!

propane, fuel