Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
We are watching this thread because we haven't been to that area and are now hoping to be able to ride some of the Erie Canal bike trail after the good info. We may not be able to make it up there until September. Wondering if any of you have been there in Fall and what weather to expect.

Paul & Debbie
2011 Winnebago Via

Busyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #16
I used to live in that area and thought Fall was the best time of the year. Days will usually be mild (70's) and nights a bit cooler, in the upper 40's or 50's .

PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I am originally from Rochester NY just north of the Fingerlakes region.

Fall was my most favorite time of year especially when the leaves turned all shades from yellow to bright red forming a carpet of glorious colors.

Weather can be anything, variable from one day to the next.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #18
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have lived here since 1997 and ride the canal path often. During Sept. you can expect anything from 50 degrees to 80 degrees. It often starts off cool then warms as the day progresses. The trees may be beginning to turn by then.

One good thing, the Geese will not be nearly so aggressive. Their hatchlings are growing now. In spring and early summer they can be very aggressive and spend a lot of time on the path.

The path from Long Pond road on the west side of Rochester to about Fairport on the east side is paved, nearly 15 miles long. The ride through Genesee Valley park is quite nice. You actually cross the canal and Genesee River in the park. The path on either end of this stretch is mostly hard packed gravel. The ride is generally very easy with long flat stretches.

There is easy access at most road crossings. There are many town parks along the way as well. To see some locks in the Rochester area you would need to ride in the towns of Henrietta, Brighton or Macedon. The operation of the locks is quite impressive. Locks 32 and 33 are about 1 mile apart in Henrietta and Brighton. I believe they each drop the canal level approx. 25 feet.

There are many draw bridges over the canal, and there operation is fun to see if you time it when a boat is passing.

Overall this is an excellent adventure with plenty of beautiful scenery to see. There have been many hearty souls that have spent several days riding the entire length of the canal path.

Here are a couple of pictures directly across from Red Rock Ponds RV Resort. The yellow sign in the distance is looking east, the other is looking west (the sign is pointing to the entrance to the RV Park)

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
Forest River Owners Club
X2 for Keuka Lake State Park. It was very nice and clean. The sites are pretty large and well maintained. It also has a beach area and boat launch.
RVBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Gala62 View Post
I'm originally from the Finger Lakes area (Canandaigua)and have many favorites.

Ithaca and Canandaigua are both charming towns with lots of activities in the summer and great access to water (lakes, gorges, parks, etc).

Two of my favorite parks are Taughannock Falls State park (Taughannock Falls State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation) and Buttermilk Falls State park: (Buttermilk Falls State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation). Gorgeous scenery right in the heart of the Finger Lakes.

The wineries are everywhere - my favorites are around Seneca and Keuka lakes. Some (but not all!) include Glenora, Fox Run, Hunt Country, Lakewood and Miles. but search here:
Official Travel and Tourism Information for Finger Lakes Wine Country
be sure to check out all the events, dining, etc. going on.

and for more drinking variety:
Finger Lakes Distilling
Bellwether Hard Cider
Award Winning Honey Mead Wine and Fruit Wines | Earle Estates Meadery

We haven't been to Hickory Hill campground in Bath, but want to. It gets very good reviews on rvparkreviews.
Hickory Hill Family Camping Resort

Keuka Lake state park also gets good reviews
Keuka Lake State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

have fun in the Finger Lakes!
We are heading to Hickory Hills next weekend, I'll report back with our experience. I have high hopes for it!

We visited the area twice last year when we got our fifth wheel. It's a nice 2 hour drive/get away for us. We stayed at Cheerful Valley the first visit (north end of Seneca Lake). Reasonable pricing and decently maintained. If it rains I think it would be a mess, dirt roads and all grass sites. Luckily we had beautiful weather. Our second visit we went to Sned Acres (east of Seneca Lake). It was again reasonable and fairly well received in rvparkreview. In our experience it was not a good place to stay. It was a complete mud mess, dirt roads, grass sites. Our site in particular was bad. We were wedged between our neighbor and a power pole, which our fifth wheels a/c unit cleared the overhead wires by about 4 inches. We asked to be moved when we saw the site and were denied, apparently due to them being full,which seemed to be far from true. We witnessed 3 different rigs getting stuck in their site, which apparently was common place at this campground because, to the owners credit, he was pulling them out with his tractor. Forgive me, but this "service" should not be necessary.

Anyways, my two cents on our experiences.
jjm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #21
IMHO Fall is the absolute best time to visit the Finger Lakes and surrounding areas. The hills are alive with gorgeous color and there are many events/festivals going on. Also the wineries are in full swing with Oktoberfest-themed events.

My family loves going to the NY State Fair in Syracuse whenever we can make it back to the area( The Great New York State Fair ). It's not the largest state fair I've ever been to, but it has wonderful old buildings to explore, lots of food on a stick, livestock, midway, etc. And my favorite - the butter sculpture!

Mike & Gail
escaping when we can in our
'10 Jayco Jayflight and '10 Ford F150
Gala62 is offline   Reply With Quote