Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Finger Lakes Region

We are planning a trip this summer to Finger Lakes area in upstate New York. Any thoughts on Campgrounds and must see items will be appreciated.

Thanks!!

CC
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
Community Administrator

We didn't see much in the way if CG's except for some State Parks which we were leery of fitting in due to our size and lack of services. However we spent a very nice week at the City CG in Watkins Glen at the foot of Seneca Lake. Clute Memorial Park. http://www.watkinsglen.us

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:54 AM   #3

Take time to hike the gorge at Watkins Glen, and the Watkins Glen State Park is nice if it meets your needs (size of site, hook-ups). The boat cruise on Seneca Lake is a nice way to see the lake. Check out the Corning Glass Works Museum & glass blowing, and there's some interesting shops in Corning. I'd also suggest heading up to Letchworth State Park and explore the park (Genesee River gorge and falls) and the state park there is also a nice place to stay. If you have the time and flexible schedule, the balloon rides from Letchworth are incredible. My wife and I did it back in 2005 and it was really great. While in the area, stop at Sampson State park and check out the museum they have. During WWII, it was a naval base and believe it or not, they trained submarine crews on Seneca Lake. And in the nearby woods, there are a type of white deer that one of the commanding officers of the base imported. And, wineries have made a comeback in the area, so if you like touring wineries...have fun.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We did a trip to Watkins Glen this fall. It was the highlight of the season. My bother and sister drove up for the weekend and we did the wine tour around the lake. Absolutely gorgeous part of the country.

We stayed at the KOA, but we did check out Clute. The KOA is nice, with the better sites in the back of the park. Rv Park Reviewers complained about the street and train noise and I did notice some road noise but we were parked up close to the entrance. If you get a site in the back, you wouldn't hear a thing. The train went by once, but I like trains so I would have been disappointed if it didn't.

Clute is within walking distance of downtown and the shops and restaurants and would be my choice if no toad. Sites are closer together than the KOA and it appeared that there were a lot of seasonals. It also appeared that they segregated transients from the seasonal area, with the seasonal sites being more lake front than the others.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
We didn't see much in the way if CG's except for some State Parks which we were leery of fitting in due to our size and lack of services. However we spent a very nice week at the City CG in Watkins Glen at the foot of Seneca Lake. Clute Memorial Park. Village of Watkins Glen | Watkins Glen, NY
We also stayed at Clute due to our size and found the park to be a good spot for a base to see the sites including the Glen and wondering about checking out wine tasting around the lakes.
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed at Watkins Glen state park and enjoyed it. There were numerous class A that appeared to be 38-40 foot, but no 45 or tandem rear axles. Long hill up to campground if I remember correctly. Enjoyed campground and used toad for two days of wineries and tastings. Love the dry whites. Reds not as robust as I am used to. Really enjoyed Lake Senneca and all the waterfalls around the area as well as the gorge. Toured the racetrack also! Italian resturant downtown main street was good and reasonable. Planning a return trip!
Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #7

Thanks for the excellent information about Clute park. Google Earth measurements indicate the sites are long enough to fit our 52 ft. motorhome & car trailer length. Just wondering about how far in advance one should get reservations. We will be in the area for a few days in mid-June on our way to a car club convention in Rhode Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
We also stayed at Clute due to our size and found the park to be a good spot for a base to see the sites including the Glen and wondering about checking out wine tasting around the lakes.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Thanks for the excellent information about Clute park. Google Earth measurements indicate the sites are long enough to fit our 52 ft. motorhome & car trailer length. Just wondering about how far in advance one should get reservations. We will be in the area for a few days in mid-June on our way to a car club convention in Rhode Island.

It's a busy place. They do have seasonal sites and they do rallies and when the race is on , all bets are off. I don't recall their cancelation policy but I would call them to find out and reserve ASAP.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We stayed at the KOA, Sunset Circle, nice! Every site had a very large hanging basket on the lamp post! Concrete patio w/ built-in fire place, Love seat swing, table. We road though Clute Park........unless you do not have a TOAD with you, and you have to walk.......No. JMHO, What we saw on our tour through it was camper's crammed in, tight, in a very small park. I did not see any 45' Coach's or a spot where one would fit........might of missed this......As we tour different places, we are doing it as to learn of new places if we return someday........I will go back to the KOA.

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...-memorial-park
(click on photo to enlarge)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05010.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	82301  
Old 01-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

Do not miss Letchworth State Park at the top of the Finger Lakes. It is often referred to as the Grnad Canyon of the east. Stunning scenery and huge waterfalls. It was built by the CCC during the depression and the stone work walls and bridges are something we will never see in a modern park.
We stayed there when we had the 36LA but I'm sure I could get in there with my current 42 LH. It would just take a little more care as the roads a narrow.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
2X on Letchworth. Along with three beautiful waterfalls, during much of the year hot air balloons take off in the park. One point - the waterfalls are quite a ways from the campground. There are a number of loops - some with 50 amp, some with 30 amp, and a few with only 15 amp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SUD_3504.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	82307   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASD_7569.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	82308  

Name:	ASF_4094.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	82309  
Old 01-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Make sure you check this for when you'll be there. Avoid these dates if possible.

Events Calendar - Watkins Glen International
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

Sampson State Park can handle you but maybe not with hookups. (Probably though if you pick the right sites.)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Yes, we were about 60 ft and didn't have any issues. I just ended up calling the day before we were to arrive and they set me up. That was in July and there were several open slots.
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote