Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
Finishing First Long RV Trip

I am on the final leg of our first long RV trip. Its been a blast. I've been traveling with my wife and 12 year old son from South New Jersey (near Philly) up through New England, into Nova Scotia, and through Prince Edward Island. Our rig is a Forrest River Wildwood 28' pulled with a Ram 1500. The trip duration is 15 days. We bought our TT new in October 2013. We previously only did the Friday to Sunday weekend thing. We are life long tent campers, and have really been enjoying the RV lifestyle. Our plan is to semi-retire into Full Timing in approx 10 years when our son leaves the nest. So we are getting an early start learning the ropes.

We left NJ and headed up to Mystic CT for two nights. We stayed at the Mystic KOA. As relative noobs, we enjoy the KOA system despite the higher cost. This one was adequate, but unremarkable. We spent a solid day at the Mystic Seaport Museum, which is a really great place.

From Mystic, we traveled up to Bar Harbor Maine. We stayed at the Oceanside KOA which is right on the beach. The sites were very small, but the location on the water was quite good. The campsite is really nice. They have a nice rocky beach, and kayak rentals right in the campground. Awesome views. The drive from Mystic was quite long due to the CT and MA traffic, so we were beat when we got there, and didnt want to head into town for a meal, but we wanted some local lobster. Luckily, there is a guy named Clayton right in the campground that serves up excellent lobster suppers for $18.50. We could not have been happier.

The next day we made the trek up through the rest of Maine, crossed at Calais, and headed through New Brunswick. The border crossing was completely empty and we were through in less than 5 minutes. The ride into Nova Scotia was very nice.

In NS, we stayed for seven nights at the Hidden Hilltop Campground in Great Valley, near the northern shore. My sister married a Canadian and moved to Toronto a few years back. Her husband's family has a blueberry farm in NS, so we met out there for a little family time. We chose the Hidden Hilltop because it was close to the blueberry farm, and it was also highly rated on RV Park Reviews. It was a wonderful place. Nice large and level sites. Great things for the kids to do. Every morning, the owner would go out and feed the animals and let all the kids hold the baby goats and stuff. There was a jumping pillow, which is always a big hit. A large soap slide. Rec room with Wii's and lots of games. It was a great place. We could not have been happier. The staff there was fantastic. The WiFi does not reach the whole campground, so make sure you request a WiFi accessible site if you need one. Also, the bath houses are few and far apart. So if you need to be close to one, you should request it. The price was very inexpensive. Sites were $25 to $35 per night. Awesome place.

We didnt really do any of the tourist stuff in NS. Since we had 'family' there, we had lots of cool things to do without hitting up the tourist places. We flew kites and went hiking at the blueberry farm. We had a "lobster feed" at an uncle's beach house in Malagash, experiencing the massively low tides, and crazy warm waters of the NS north coast. We did a lot of hiking, including a climb up a water fall, and a couple of cave explorations. It was a fun filled week.

From NS we headed over the big bridge to PEI. What a beautiful place. Very scenic. The ride was very pleasant. We stayed at the Cavendish KOA. It was a great campground. Large and level pull throughs. Lots of stuff for the kids to do. Jumping Pillow, RC Car Track, lots of playgrounds. Good clean bath houses, and lots of them. It was a good campground.

In PEI we hit up a bunch of tourist stuff. We did the mini golf and amusement rides in Cavendish. We made a couple of trips into Charlottetown. We went to Rustico to walk the old shanty fishing village. And we made a couple of trips to the national park beaches, enjoying the red sand and beautiful rock structures. And of course more lobster.

From PEI, it was back to the same Bar Harbor Oceanside KOA. This time we took the free shuttle bus into Bar Harbor. We walked around town and got a great lobster dinner at Geddy's, which I highly recommend. Its good food, and the price is right. The shuttle service around Bar Harbor is outstanding. We are already talking about coming back to Bar Harbor for week, and hiking the Acadia National Park. Its beautiful up here.

Now we sit at the KOA in Cape Cod, getting ready to depart for home. This is a really nice KOA. Very large. Nice facilities. Lots of recreation for the kids of all ages. Very scenic. We are also talking about coming back here for another trip and doing the whole Cape Cod / Plymouth Rock / Boston thing.

Its been an awesome 15 day maritime adventure. Its our first RV trip longer than 2 or 3 nights. Our first trip over a few hundred miles. I did my homework. Did lots of research. Bought lots of gear. Did my prep. Everything from food menus, provisions purchases, gear storage, RV/truck prep, etc. It was a good bit of work getting ready. But the trip has been nothing but fun and relaxation. My truck did well, the RV did well, and we learned a heck of a lot along the way.

Thanks for reading my long winded travel log. After going home, getting settled, and sorting through our photos, we will start planning the next one!

BradWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 05:31 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Thats what it's all about. We usually do more spur of the moment trips. Do you think planning it out so well really helped...if you had done more spur of the moment would you have found campgrounds full, not had the right things along or not hit the best spots? That's always something we discuss.

Bill & Jenny - 2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K, 36 ft, Ford V10 - Blue Ox and SMARTCAR. Once/month traveler in Midwest and Southern US. Home - Nashville, Indiana (Beautiful Brown County)
jwmaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
I believe the planning and prep made for a truly relaxing, effortless, stress free, and most importantly, a safe trip. Most of the RV parks were quite full while we were there. And we didnt have to go out and spend lots of money on food and supplies because everything was well planned out, organized, and purchased prior to departure. I made up food menus in advance, including shopping lists. Then checked off meals as we went, even if we went out of order, to ensure we didnt run out of stuff. The only thing I really underestimated was toilet paper consumption. :-)
Old 08-02-2014, 05:45 AM   #4
We traveled this country and that of our Northern neighbor with our two girls and occasionally with their friends for years and years with a travel trailer and full sized van. Best times of our lives, and 25 years later the girls still talk about the adventures, good and bad. They are now telling their children how "mean old Pop Pop would make them set up the trailer every time we moved to a new site". We even took many Girl Scout troops camping with them staying in tents and the "old folks" staying in the trailer.

I enjoyed your "long winded travel log" and it brought back memories. Thanks. BTW, I was born while my family lived in Haddon Heights until Interstate 295 was built in 1958+- and took the house, then we moved to Laurel Springs where I spent most of my childhood. Wife is from North East Philly. Small world.
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
Evergreen Owners Club
I also enjoyed your travel log. Glad that everything went as planned and you had an enjoyable time in the rv. I'll bet you can't wait for the next one!!
Keith & Drena with Casey & P-nut (dogs) & Gabby (cat)
2014 Silverado 3500HD Dually 4X4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 365rl
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Thanks for the replies. Already planning the next long RV trip for next summer. Plus we have a 4 day outing coming up this weekend.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Great log
We tend to plan the total trip.

It would be a shame to miss a highlight in a town through ignorance.

Our next visit to USA starts in 2 weeks and we have only booked 2 campgrounds, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.
The rest we will wing it. However we have fully researched our route to make sure we are not missing anything along the way.

Re your trip- 2 years ago we had to miss PEI due to time restraints. We are looking forward to getting back to the east coast in a couple of years and travelling though Maine and onto PEI. I can taste that wonderful lobster as I type.
2005 Monaco Signature Castle 1V
2013 Subaru Outback Toad
SteveSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:44 AM   #8
Do you mind if I ask how you traveled (roads) from NJ to CT? We live in ME and will be traveling to South Jersey in September in a motorhome. Heard various stories regarding road conditions of some of the highways. Glad all was such a positive experience in your travels. Thanks for sharing.
downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Do you mind if I ask how you traveled (roads) from NJ to CT?
We took I-95 down through CT to the Cross Bronx Expressway, which is a real horror show of a road. But since I grew up around the NYC area, I am used to it. Then we went over the George Washington Bridge, and down the NJ Tpk.

By comparison, the roads we took from Bar Harbor up through to the New Brunswick boarder were as bad or worse.

My travel trailer seemed to do fine over both.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
Thanks BradWorld for your response. I'll pass this on to hubby.
downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Brad, I have to agree. We did our forst 10 dayer this spring from Northern Michigan to upstate New York. I spent many evenings with RoadTrip planning routes and looking at places to camp and visit. I had it planned right down to the fuel we would use. End result was one of the most fun and relaxing trips we have ever had. We have been traditional weekend campers so this trip taught us a lot. I can't wait until this winter when we are going to do a month migration to someplace warmer than Northern Michigan. Any warm ideas would be welcome. Then I can start trip planning all over again The wonderers.

michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote