Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2018, 12:00 AM   #1

First big trip planning! Suggestions?

Hello! We are planning our first, multi-stop trip to make our way to Mesa AZ. It's the in between part I am looking for suggestions for. We are in Sparks.Reno NV area until mid October then want to head south. I have my eye on a place in Mesa, AZ but don't really know how to plan the in between part. Any recommendations? We are looking for full hook-ups at this point in time. We are still kind of new to full timing. We have been in our first spot since July 3rd.
Thanks!

I'll try and figure it out myself too but, just in case......
MKOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 12:09 AM   #2

Come down CA 395 (many campgrounds)to I-40 east (not much along I-40) to AZ95 toward Lake Havasu City to Parker, AZ ( some nice state parks along 95) and on to Quartzsite. (free parking in the desert here). Then pick up I-10 into the Phoenix area. We like the far eastern end - Apache Junction area; particularly Lost Dutchman State Park.

You could also go through Death Valley Nat'l Park which would be a nice time of year to do so.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:55 AM   #3

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
Download the KOA app. Plenty of places to pull in full hook ups.
poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Are you making this trip in July and August. Mighty hot now in the direction you are headed. I'd be looking for some cool weather, perhaps on the coast.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Come down CA 395 (many campgrounds)to I-40 east (not much along I-40) to AZ95 toward Lake Havasu City .

Or stay on I-40 to Flagstaff. You will pass through some nice high country with tall pine trees, etc. Then south on I-17 with a stop in Sedona at Rancho Sedona Campground. Then 2 hours or so south to Mesa.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Are you making this trip in July and August. Mighty hot now in the direction you are headed. I'd be looking for some cool weather, perhaps on the coast.
Oh no, not in summer. It will be mid October.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Of course Vegas has many options. After Vegas Kingman offers a couple of decent places. Are you headed down the 93? I travel that route frequently and it would be your shortest route to your destination.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKOwen View Post
Hello! We are planning our first, multi-stop trip to make our way to Mesa AZ. It's the in between part I am looking for suggestions for. We are in Sparks.Reno NV area until mid October then want to head south. I have my eye on a place in Mesa, AZ but don't really know how to plan the in between part. Any recommendations? We are looking for full hook-ups at this point in time. We are still kind of new to full timing. We have been in our first spot since July 3rd.
Thanks!

I'll try and figure it out myself too but, just in case......
I think between now and the time you leave you you guys should learn how to camp for at least 2 days without hook ups. Even over night would open up a lot of places. Plus it's nice to know you can if you had too.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #9

We're new with a TT also, this time in the SE with a 30+ years gap after RVing in the far west.

Weredoingit's suggestion to open up wonderful possibilities and prepare for trouble by learning what 2 days without hookups would call for strikes me as really worthwhile. That was a way of life when we lived in the SW as there are so many wonderful places off lonesome roads out there.

Not so much here in the east for us this year, where every place belongs to someone who'd know and care, but there are still forest service campgrounds, etc.

My memory is that our long ago breakdowns always took place in or near towns on weekends and national holidays when shops were closed. Strangely enough never on those lovely wilderness tracks that wound along sand washes and up into rocky hills. But a couple of times, being able to just live wherever we were towed until a part arrived, or whatever, allowed us to remain comfy and serene "at home" instead of rather absurdly needing a motel and a way to get to it.

Have a lovely time, MKOwen. We love the green but really miss the desert.
Hortensis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #10

Thanks everyone! We still need to get a generator. Great idea to prepare ourselves for breakdowns
!
Old 07-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKOwen View Post
Thanks everyone! We still need to get a generator. Great idea to prepare ourselves for breakdowns
!
Not just breakdowns but it's very nice to not camp in a campground with 150 others. There's so much open land (especially where your going) out there.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote