Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
First BIG trip questions

DH and I are planning our first, big cross country trip. We have only been RVing for 3 years and have traveled a bit of the east coast, mainly Maine to Florida and places in-between. DH is semi-retired and I am fully retired. He will be retired spring of 2015. Our intentions are to see our National Parks and monuments. In the planning stages, I am beginning to feel overwhelmed.

My question is: Has anyone ever toured the southwestern tier of the the US, mainly Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and Nevada in the springtime THEN stored the RV during a portion of June, July & August AND THEN return to do the northern parks (i.e. Yellowstone etc) in late August and September? Our objective is not to be in the parks during high season crowds or when children are out of school. We would head for home in the tow vehicle sometime in June, then as I said, return to pick up the RV and head north. If so, can you recommend a safe haven for the RV during those 8-10 weeks, preferable indoors? We are trying to explore all our options. We do not want to rush through the parks. We'd like to take one day at a time and not regret having to miss something because of a timeframe. The spring adventure would be about 8 weeks and the same for the later. Does this sound feasible?

Thank you all, and I'm sure I will be asking more questions! Any hints, suggestions will all be considered and appreciated for sure.

Gladie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
I'm not sure where to store your RV but if your going to WY in sept. get ready for a lot of snow. we got snowed in afton WY on sept 1st 2 years ago had to stay till april 1st but we had a bumper pull camper at the time aug, is the time to be in WY after that it gets cold and snows. how ever you will love the west a lot better then the east. nicer people cheaper campgroungs and if you can make a stop in hot springs AR on your way west it is one of our favorite places. and a winter in QZ AZ is a hoot. hope this helps a little

Time is life! money is just a tool. how much of your life is a tool worth?

Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
We've been to Wyoming often in Sept., including Grand Teton Nat'l Park. No snow. The western states are food until Oct 15 and then winter usually begins. However, every year is different.

If you want indoor parking for your RV, decide what state you want to end up in and google for indoor RV storage. I'm sure you'll get many options.

Enjoy retirement!
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote