Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
First extended trip in MH

We leave next Friday from Fla to L.A for our first ever extended trip. Have a stop in Austin Texas then up to Dallas. After that we are on our way to L.A. We have about 6 days to kill since we don't need to be in L.A until the 15th, looking for suggestions as to some sites we may like to see or routes on our way to L.A. Minor detours ok. Vegas, Canyon ....been there done that. Suggestions appreciated.

Reelgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #2

I would assume you're driving via I-10. Save some of your exploring time for the Benson/Tucson, AZ area. Kartchner Caverns in Benson is an awesome tour. Tombstone is Old West hokey and Bisbee is a unique place built on a hillside. The mining tour is great. It's given by retired miners and you're given a yellow slicker, hard hat with a light and you board the mining car for an inside tour..very interesting. If you stay in the Benson area a day trip to Chiricahua Nat'l Monument is worthwhile.

In Tucson is the Desert Museum - an outdoor place filled with critters of the desert and beautiful plantings. Sabino Canyon is a gorgeous hiking or strolling area as is Saguaro Nat'l Park. A drive up Mt. Lemmon is always a treat for an overlook of Tucson. Have a snack or lunch at the top.

Have a great trip!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Be careful on I-35 From Austin to Dallas. Construction most of the way. If you don't need to go to Dallas consider Austin to San Antonio and I-10 west. Lots of places to see in Southwest Texas. Safe travels. JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogbus View Post
Be careful on I-35 From Austin to Dallas. Construction most of the way. If you don't need to go to Dallas consider Austin to San Antonio and I-10 west. Lots of places to see in Southwest Texas. Safe travels. JD
Argggghhhhh I have to go to Dallas. I made the Austin appointment just because I was in the area so now we go there first then up to Dallas (Irving). Guess I should have not made that call.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #5

Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands NM are close to your route.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #6

We drove I35 North from Austin to Fort Worth in Mid December 2014, in our 40 Motor home. The construction was not as bad a some think. The construction runs from Salado to just South of Waco.

You did not mention your destination in Austin. I35 thru Austin and Round Rock is a parking lot even on the weekend. I like to travel 130 toll road around Central Austin.

From Dallas you will have two choices
1) I20 West to I10 near Pecos, I-10 thru El Paso to Phoenix to CA. We traveled this route in November 2014.
2) From Fort Worth take Highway 287 to Amarillo and I40 West to Albuquerque, NM. to Flagstaff to CA. More Scenic that I10. You will need to watch the weather along this route. This route has lots of history and part of route is along Route 66. We made our return trip from Phoenix on I40.

If you have time go to Sedona, Az it is about 40 miles South of Flagstaff

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable travel.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgator View Post
We leave next Friday from Fla to L.A for our first ever extended trip. Have a stop in Austin Texas then up to Dallas. After that we are on our way to L.A. We have about 6 days to kill since we don't need to be in L.A until the 15th, looking for suggestions as to some sites we may like to see or routes on our way to L.A. Minor detours ok. Vegas, Canyon ....been there done that. Suggestions appreciated.
If you don't already have this, it will be a big help in finding good parks along the way. Happy Trails.

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
Old 01-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudntherd View Post
We drove I35 North from Austin to Fort Worth in Mid December 2014, in our 40 Motor home. The construction was not as bad a some think. The construction runs from Salado to just South of Waco.

You did not mention your destination in Austin. I35 thru Austin and Round Rock is a parking lot even on the weekend. I like to travel 130 toll road around Central Austin.

From Dallas you will have two choices
1) I20 West to I10 near Pecos, I-10 thru El Paso to Phoenix to CA. We traveled this route in November 2014.
2) From Fort Worth take Highway 287 to Amarillo and I40 West to Albuquerque, NM. to Flagstaff to CA. More Scenic that I10. You will need to watch the weather along this route. This route has lots of history and part of route is along Route 66. We made our return trip from Phoenix on I40.

If you have time go to Sedona, Az it is about 40 miles South of Flagstaff

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable travel.
I'll be staying at Oak Forest RV park, looks like where I need to go into Austin I avoid I35.

What do you mean by " You will need to watch the weather along this route." ?
Old 01-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #9

This time of year I40 from Amarillo West to Flagstaff is at a higher elevation and subject to snow.
What the weather forecast for that area and plan accordingly.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #10

I-40 is not the best to travel on during the winter. I-10 is better - weatherwise. We even had I-40 closed for two days west of Albuquerque the end of April. Monitor the weather closely.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
If you don't already have this, it will be a big help in finding good parks along the way. Happy Trails.

RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudntherd View Post
This time of year I40 from Amarillo West to Flagstaff is at a higher elevation and subject to snow.
What the weather forecast for that area and plan accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I-40 is not the best to travel on during the winter. I-10 is better - weatherwise. We even had I-40 closed for two days west of Albuquerque the end of April. Monitor the weather closely.
dennis45 :Thanks for the link, had not seen that before. Great site!

Cudntherd & twogypsies : We have kind of made a pact that we won't venture anywhere on this trip that requires me to where anything other than a long sleeve t-shirt , so venturing off to places with any possibility of snow "we don't go". Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands NM are close to your route.
X2
Never known anyone to leave either of these parks without a smile on their face. Been to both multiple times.

If you get to Alamogordo, NM(White Sands), stop at a roadside Pistachios farm and get some Green Chile seasoned Pistachios. I'm telling you now to get two bags, if you don't you will be sorry.