Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #15

Great information and exactly what I was looking for. My son is in Tampa this week and missing all the snow in Norfolk but said he would swing by First Landing next week. I told him of the concerns with trees etc. He was also going to check in to see if he could sponser me onto the base to stay at the Military campground, but if nothing else works out I will contact the KOA. We stayed there a couple years ago in our pop-up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Great information and exactly what I was looking for. My son is in Tampa this week and missing all the snow in Norfolk but said he would swing by First Landing next week. I told him of the concerns with trees etc. He was also going to check in to see if he could sponser me onto the base to stay at the Military campground, but if nothing else works out I will contact the KOA. We stayed there a couple years ago in our pop-up.
I would stay away from the Amphib base --- odors from the waste water treatment plant (when the wind is right) might be more unsettling than jet noise. Good luck and have fun!

Old 02-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #17

Amphib base also has some sites that are not easy for a big rig. I worked on that base for a very long time.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #18

First Landing State Park was the first place we ever stayed after buying our used Class C. Seven of us in a 25' McKenzie Rogue. What an experience!

We enjoyed FLSP. You pick whatever site you want. However they direct you to a specific loop based upon your RV. Our site was along the sand dunes that led to the beach. Some of the other interior spots were right on the sand and were not level. We watched someone try to level for quite a while until they gave up and moved on.

The sites have water and electricity hookups. However, one has the feeling of boondocking. It has quite a rustic feel to the sites and reminds you nothing of a RV Park. We loved how you could walk out your door up over the dunes and out onto the beach. The kids loved the large cargo ships and the jets. We only stayed for 3 nights, so the noise of the jets didn't bother us.

They also have hiking trails across the street which were fun for a day. It is also a short 15 minutes to the boardwalk which is nice.

I can see how it would be tight for a large DP or if you don't detach your toad. But for our 25' C class, it was fine.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
First Landing is a great State Park in Virgina Beach. We had a lot of space but you have t tell them your size of rig. The people were great you are next to the ocean and view was great.If you want in the woods they have them but Google Earth it and see what they have.Roads in park need repairs but we loved it.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #20

I had my son check First Landing out and in particular two spaces that were available. The spaces were great but he estimated the clearance for the trees on the main road to be about 10' and my rig is 11-3 high. We are opting out and will check First Landing out while we are in Norfolk. Most likely we will head to Holiday Travel or the KOA.

We have been to the KOA but haven't checked out Trav L Park across the street. Looks like they have some nice sites in back called super sites. rates are low at this time of year. Anyone have any experience with them?
Old 03-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have looked at both and for me they are a wash. That said many of the locals prefer the Holiday Travel Park over the KOA. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I had my son check First Landing out and in particular two spaces that were available. The spaces were great but he estimated the clearance for the trees on the main road to be about 10' and my rig is 11-3 high. We are opting out and will check First Landing out while we are in Norfolk. Most likely we will head to Holiday Travel or the KOA.

We have been to the KOA but haven't checked out Trav L Park across the street. Looks like they have some nice sites in back called super sites. rates are low at this time of year. Anyone have any experience with them?
Old 03-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Warning about the Holiday the navy runway is right over your head. And make sure you have a dual filter for water. I did and it took forever to flush the tank clean of the rust. But besides that a nice park.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #23

If we were not staying in a military campground, we would stay in a super site at Holiday Travel Park. We have stayed there several times. It is a big campground with multiple pools but the jet noise is very loud. Some people like all that noise.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:03 PM   #24

We decided on Holiday. Hope they aren't using the pads for sotorage as I have heard they do. Alas it will only be a couple nights.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
This great discussion about First Landing has our curiosity up... making reservations for mid-April. My Daughter and her family will meet us there for a family event. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #26

I plan to check it out while in town next weekend. I will report anything new I discover and also report on my experience at Holiday.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #27

Wife and i are in VA Beach tonight and staying at the Holiday Trav L Park,

We are in the super sites because they are available at a pretty good discount. Haven't explored much as we got here around 1830.

Hey, Who turned the thermostat down in VA Beach? It is friggin cold here!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #28

I took a drive through the First Landing State Park today. What a great park, at least form what I saw. Although there are not a huge number of spaces for a larger RV there were quite a few. The park has also recently started allowing some spots to be reserved. I took particular note of the roadways and the trees and did not find any trees or limbs that gave me a great deal of concern. Anything I saw and that was very little, was very small stuff that would not be a big issue. The only thing that did give me concern was the entrance to loop C. It was a pretty sharp surn and the roadway was narrow. I am pretty sure I could navigate this turn if I took my time. I will try to post a couple pictures when I am not having to use my hot spot.

We will definitely give this park a try on our next trip the Norfolk area.

Tags
campground