Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #29

Well here are the pictures I took entering loop C. It is a pretty tight turn and there isn't a great deal of room. the longer wheel base C's and A;s might have a tough time negotiating this but I don't think my 29' Winnie would give me much trouble. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0673.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	90399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0674.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	90400  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Drove through it yesterday. I have a reserved site in C section ...... I'm not sure my 38 foot Outlaw will make it around. that turn. I talked to the staff (not very friendly) and they said the sight was made for 50 footers ... not sweat. I have my doubts....

Old 04-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #31

Let me know how it works out. I took some pictures of the sites, Which one did you pick?

We plan to stay there on our next trip to Norfolk.

BTW, thanks for your service. My son is a LT stationed at Little Creek.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks Tim, I will be there next Friday afternoon (C15) and I live close to the main gate on the Amphib Gate. My first command was a Newport Class LST out of Little Creek a number of years ago. Your son has a great adventure ahead of him and I wish I could start over and do it again. You must be very proud! What site are you in? I'll stop by and say hey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Let me know how it works out. I took some pictures of the sites, Which one did you pick?

We plan to stay there on our next trip to Norfolk.

BTW, thanks for your service. My son is a LT stationed at Little Creek.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:07 PM   #33

We ended up staying at Holiday and left this past Monday stopping near Morgantown WV on business. Got home back in Ohio Tuesday night.

We had 29* temps last Saturday which had me worried a bit about the water but it all worked out. My son just returned from Bahrain this past Nov (PC-12 Thunderbold, XO) and is now working with Naval Special Warfare Group 2 as the training liaison. That's not his official title but fits the job.

Next time we head down I will let you know just in case you are in Norfolk.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:10 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
PC's are fun ships and great opportunities for JO's. I'll let you know how the "turn" makes out. Should be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
We ended up staying at Holiday and left this past Monday stopping near Morgantown WV on business. Got home back in Ohio Tuesday night.

We had 29* temps last Saturday which had me worried a bit about the water but it all worked out. My son just returned from Bahrain this past Nov (PC-12 Thunderbold, XO) and is now working with Naval Special Warfare Group 2 as the training liaison. That's not his official title but fits the job.

Next time we head down I will let you know just in case you are in Norfolk.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:32 PM   #35

Hey Russ, Awaiting that report on First Landing. Just kidding. I am at Fort Boonesborough State Park in KY for the weekend. DW and I are here doing some geneology and enjoying a weekend away.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #36

Jet noise is nothing, the mosquitoes are horrendous.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:10 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
First Landing Report

Tim et al,

Just got back from a great weekend at First Landing and we had a great time. My wife and I camped in our 38' Thor Outlaw. My son-in-law, daughter and 2 young boys camped in their 30 foot TT. I was in C15 and they were in C6. Getting to these sites involved some very tight turns, but easily negotiated. The sites were level, had water and electrical hookup (50 amp in mine - 30 in theirs) with fire rings. They are well spaced and wooded. I saw every kind of camper, from tents in sand dunes to big rigs. The staff said my site can take up to a 50 footer. Bathrooms were cinder block and clean....nothing special. Firewood is sold at the office.There were well maintained boardwalks to the beach that faces the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Water temp was too cool for swimming, but the kids had a great time. The staff is new and still figuring it all out, but helpful. the sight is very secure/safe. Virginia State Park Police patrolled every couple of hours. I didn't see any interaction with campers, more like maintaining a presence. Pets are allowed on leashes. Be careful of sand burrs that stick in their paws. Mine had a great time and are passed out after all the exercise and fun they had at the beach. There are plenty of nice affordable restaurants in easy reach if you want to skip smores as a main course. Short drive to Naval Bases and the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. I live 5.2 miles from this park and will do it again with my family.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
We stayed at Chippokes Plantation-very near First Landing-

Chippokes was very nice, across the river from Jamestown, lots of room, very Clean, Historical Site.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm glad this post came up - thank-you. We've been wanting to go here for several years and this post is the motivation we needed to plan a fall trip to the beach.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #40

Chippokes is very nice. The newer section is big rig friendly and the sites are level. They have a great swimming pool that is open in the summer. There is a near by ferry that will take you over to Jamestown. To us, it is much nicer than First Landing. Virginia State Parks have just about priced themselves out of our business. At $35 per night without sewer hook up, we can find an adequate campground for much less. But then as full timers, our criteria is much different than a weekend camper. Sad too because we love Va State Parks.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were down in the Norfolk area a couple of weeks ago and we stayed at the Newport News Park Campground - it's a bit north of Newport, but since our son and his family live in Hampton it worked out for us. The park is really nice - our site was right on the lake with a wonderful view - when it wasn't raining!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #42

Russ, good to hear that you had a good weekend at First Landing. If a Navy guy can get that rig into there I am sure this USAF guy can do it as well LOL.

Next time we are headed that way I will give you a shout. My son is harping on me to fly down some weekend for lunch. If I do so I will drop you a line.

I will check out Chippokes as well

Tags
campground