Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2015, 09:49 PM   #1

First Landing State Campground

Heading to Norfolk the end of March to see my son. Thinking if staying at First Landing. Anyone have any experience there?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #2

Hmmmm not very reassuring

Old 02-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Hmmmm not very reassuring
Tim,

First landing is in Chesapeake and I have driven past it many times. I have never stopped in and checked it out, but once the snow clears, I will check it out. I can tell you it is located in a nice area on the Northwest river. My daughter who is a new RV owner mentioned it to me too. I will let you know.

Russ
Old 02-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I can tell you the Holiday Travel - L- Park and KOA Virginia Beach are nice CGs, both not far from Norfolk.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Tom,

I was confused (naturally) with North Landing Beach Campground in Chesapeake. North Landing is located in Virginia Beach on the Chesapeake Bay. Very pretty park and well maintained. It is just a couple of miles from my home and we stopped in and checked it out last week. It is closed with a skeleton staff there and reopens on Memorial Day I believe. The KOA and Holiday Travel-L parks are open. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:01 PM   #6

So it doesn't open till memorial day?
Old 02-26-2015, 06:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Tim,

When I read the website, it looks like it is open now. When I checked AllStays it said Memorial Day. I'd suggest calling. There was a staff there when we went through a couple of weeks ago. It is a nice park, Snowing fairly hard here now. I would be surprised if anyone is there. Sorry, I haven't been much help.

Russ
Old 02-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #8

We have driven through First Landing State Park and we would not stay there. The roads are narrow and the sites tight. Each time we have driven through, most of the loops were closed. That may have been because of the time of year we drove through. I think jet noise would be less at First Landing that the KOA or Holiday Travel Park. We lived in the Virginia Beach area for 20 years and we will be back for a family visit in April. We will be staying at a military campground and the jet noise will be horrible. We can put up with it for a week. FYI, many people like the sound of the jet noise. It is a novelty for those who have not been around a military air station.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
We have driven through First Landing State Park and we would not stay there. The roads are narrow and the sites tight. Each time we have driven through, most of the loops were closed. That may have been because of the time of year we drove through. I think jet noise would be less at First Landing that the KOA or Holiday Travel Park. We lived in the Virginia Beach area for 20 years and we will be back for a family visit in April. We will be staying at a military campground and the jet noise will be horrible. We can put up with it for a week. FYI, many people like the sound of the jet noise. It is a novelty for those who have not been around a military air station.
They did a fair amount of recent work at First landing- to what extent they improved it since you were last there- I can not say. Little Creek has a military campground a few miles from First Landing. I would not recommend it. I agree about the jet noise in Virginia Beach and depending where the carrier is in its workup schedule - it can be overwhelming. First Landing is adjacent to Fort Story and military exercises may generate unwanted noise.

I was wondering JP which military campground do you use?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #10
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, I have one night at First Landing under my belt. A friend and I stayed there one night when we were attending a Doobie Brothers' concert in the area. Great concert by the way.

A few observations:

1. You cannot rely on GPS to take the correct turn into the park. It will lead you down a very narrow residential street with low overhanging trees and you will get clawed to death. The best part of this gem of a street is it eventually takes a 90 deg turn to the left that a 40ft MH and toad cannot negotiate without doing some damage to a light pole. You get the pleasure of unhooking your toad and backing your MH back down the street to the main highway. An experience not soon forgotten.

2. Once you shake off all the broken tree limbs, calculate the elbow grease needed to remove the scratches, and finally find the correct entrance, you will discover that the roads within the park are pretty darned narrow. Better still, those same low overhanging trees from the wrong street are plentiful in the park's sites. It's possible one of the other loops isn't like the one we were in, but I won't swear to it.

I noted an open area that was "beachfront" on the river that appeared to be for dry camping (or perhaps minimum hookups). If I were to go back, that is where I would go with my MH. No trees to deal with. I have not been back as there is nothing in the area that appeals to me...EXCEPT...there is a marvelous little hole in the wall seafood restaurant nearby whose oysters rockefella is to die for.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
The name of the restaurant is Charlies. Consistently wins awards for best she crab soup in Virginia Beach! Great place to eat!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our daughter lives on the Outer Banks, and whenever they get away for a weekend, they go to First Landing. They have a 21' TT.
Some interesting reviews here:
Virginia Beach, VA Campground Reviews - Best of Virginia Beach Camping - RV Park Reviews
Old 02-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #13

First Landing State Campground

We stay at Oceana military campground. You can wave to the pilots as they fly over since the are usually on approach and flying low. The noise is deafening. Oh, the campground is not located on the base.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
We stay at Oceana military campground. You can wave to the pilots as they fly over since the are usually on approach and flying low. The noise is defining. Oh, the campground is not located on the base.

I know ---- lived here most of the time from 76 to present. Not a big fan of jet noise. Some people love it - not for me. This thread has forced me to look around for more campgrounds locally. Good stuff!

Tags
campground