Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #1

First Multi-Day Traveling Trip??

In 10 days we will be taking our first multi-day traveling trip (2 days). All of our past trips have been about a 5 hour drive away. So I have a few questions. Each day we will be traveling about 300 miles (6 or 7 hours).

In the planning of this trip I have been researching where or when to stop for breaks. The first leg will be mostly on an Interstate and there are a few rest areas. So I figured we would need to hit them all (2 total). I have also figured in a fuel stop right when we get off of the interstate and travel a 2 lane road for the last leg before we stop for the night. Our longest leg will be the first one which is about 2 hours. Hopefully our bladders can hold it that long. Being I will be taking some water in our tanks I figured if we absolutely have to we can pull over on the shoulder of the interstate to take care of our business. So my first question will be is safe to do?

The second day trip will be mainly two or four lane roads with no rest areas. I have found several Walmarts to stop at for our rest/potty breaks. These will be about an hour and a half away from each other. We would have to hit these being there will be no places to pull over on the shoulder of the road.

At our mid trip overnight stop I was thinking of not hooking up the sewer lines and not draining anything. This was because we would have more in there before we drain them. Being the park we will be spending 7 nights in does not have full sewer hookups I also was thinking of draining my tanks before we setup for the first night. Is this how I should do it or setup at the camp and hit the dump station about mid week?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #2

Go with the flow, don't over think this. It is supposed to be fun and spontaneous. LOL
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #3

Sounds good.

But do not pull over on highways or interstates for a potty stop. There is always a better way. Be safe. Have fun.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
...But do not pull over on highways or interstates for a potty stop. There is always a better way. Be safe. Have fun.
X2. It's much too dangerous to pull off any road for a "pit stop". You want to be off the road, even if it means taking an exit to locate a safe place. Find a lot that's big enough for you to enter/exit (i.e. shopping plaza, travel plaza, church parking lot, school...etc).

When you hit your mid-trip stop (with the no sewer), since you'll be there 7 days, I would suggest you dump & then take on fresh water when you arrive. That way you won't have to break camp to head to the dump station mid-stay. That's what we do because I don't like packing up all the knick-knacks I put out when I set up.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #5

Agree...you're over-thinking this too much. Unless you have medical issues you should be o.k. until you see a safe place to stop. Perhaps not drinking that coffee before taking off?

We, too, would recommend you visit the dump station before your 7 night stay. That's a lot easier. If, during your 7-night stay, you find the gray tank filling too fast, use a dishpan for washing dishes (& you don't need a full pan of water to do this), then empty the dishpan into the toilet. The black tank always needs to be 3/4-full anyway for dumping. Also during your long stay there's really no need to wash dishes after every meal and use that precious water. Wipe the food particles with a paper towel after use and let them set for a few meals.

However, if you leave home with empty tanks you really shouldn't have to dump after a two-day drive. Just conserve water usage - quick showers and leave no water running needlessly. Also, we always travel with a full tank of fresh water and there's no noticeable fuel mileage drop. Have a good trip.... and relax! Let us know how you did!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

I travel with 60 gallons of fresh water in my travel trailer and that will get the 2 of us thru 4 days of travel/camping including showers and using the toilet, and washing dishes as needed..Take Navy showers and don't waste your water. That's all there is to it.
We use bottled water for drinking, don't count that in the 60 gals. mentioned above.
I usually do not need to dump the black tank till about day 9 and the gray water can be dumped at the same time or when needed. Some rest areas around the country have dump sites that you can use if necessary.
We just conserve and it works out well.
Specs: 54 gal. fresh water + 6 gal. water heater = 60gals.
39 gal. black water tank
37 gal. gray water tank
Enjoy your trip and be safe!
Bug Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashqueen View Post
Go with the flow, don't over think this. It is supposed to be fun and spontaneous. LOL
I couldn't agree more!

Go with the flow. When we start out on a multi-day trip, I usually have an idea of about where we may be for the night, with a second choice in mind just in case something interesting pops up that slows us down. About mid-day we'll zero in on a night stop and pick a walmart or a PA campground. On the interstates there are usually plenty of choices for fuel stops, start looking when you get around 1/3 of a tank full left.

On the back roads there are plenty of places to stop to use the bathroom - walmart, grocery stores, churches, shopping centers. just be sure you see a clear exit path with you pull in.

Never voluntarily stop on the shoulder of the interstate.

enjoy the scenery!
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #8

our water tank is full and holding tanks are empty when we leave. we stop when we need to it is to hard to stick to a plan. lots to see and do on a trip.
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #9

We frequently while traveling just hook up electric and forgo hooking up water and sewer. As full timers, we always travel with fresh water. Just dump and add additional fresh water at your destination before setting up. On two lane roads, we have had some issues finding a place to pull over for bathroom breaks. When we know we are going to travel on 2 lane roads, we go light on the liquids in case we cannot find a place to pull over.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #10

We are back and our first multi-day traveling trip was a total success even with the 7% mountain pass. A more detailed trip report will come out later.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote