Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:32 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
First RV Crossing Into Canada

Our first crossing into Canada with the RV was not the uneventful one we were hoping for. When we arrived at the Peace bridge crossing going into Niagara falls Ontario, there was quite a long line in all lanes, this was at approx. 4PM on Tuesday afternoon. We sat there for approx. 10 minutes then one of the guys helping with traffic told us to go to lane 9, park at the gate and go inside. When we went in, the border guard checked our documents, asked a few questions, then told us to wait right there. He and another guard went inside the MH, probably stayed inside about 10 minutes, then came out and told us to have a good trip. All said, we did probably save 30-45 minutes not having to wait in the regular line but it was just a little unnerving. We had absolutely nothing you weren't supposed to but I've just never liked getting searched regardless. We stayed at the Jellystone RV park there in Niagara Falls Ontario which was a pretty nice place. More geared for families with kids but clean and reasonable. Only issue I had there was, they tried to put me on site #218 which had a big electrical box next to it with poles and made the site a little tight for my rig. I got the MH between that and the electrical hook up on the other side but not enough room to put the slides out without having the front end sitting in the road. We called and they moved us to a site next door which had plenty of room. I don't have a clue why they'd even try to put a huge MH on site 218 with the obstructions on it. It would be fine for something smaller with one slideout, maybe.

We live close to Gatlinburg, TN and drove up through WV and PA before getting to Buffalo, NY and crossing into Canada. The roads in PA and NY were horrendous! I thought the MH was going to be beat to death before we got there. Also, I realize the toll road situation in the eastern states, been there, done that but it's outrage to pay so much to drive on roads in such poor condition. We paid roughly $25 going up and on one stretch, it was over $15 and it was the worst section. This was the I90 section running parallel with Lake Erie, the five mile run around mile marker 450 was like an old stagecoach trail!!

Other than this, the trip was great, the falls spectacular and the return to the states no problem. We had a great time!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 04:48 AM   #2

Your being singled out may have something to do with it being your first trip. Canada (and I would guess the US) have good computer system and pull up your plate # as you approach the check point.

I cross into Canada frequently by boat and as soon as I call in and give basic info they ask a few questions confirming the balance of the info. I have only been boarded and inspected once out of maybe 20 crossings and I believe it was a training exercise as there were 2 officers and one was obviously taking the lead.
All in all I've had an easier time crossing into Canada than returning to the US.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:10 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I was searched one time in RV years ago in Buffalo. I like going up to port Huron and crossing better. There us a great small town just south called Marine city and its on the water. Since discovering it we will eat there and take the ferry across . The crossing is really easy and very enjoyable. The Muskokas are beautiful just two hours north of toronto on hwy 11.
Coach Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #4

Our first crossing, in Sweet Grass AL was pretty uneventful. There was one lane open and two vehicles in front of us. The officer as his questions, I answered, welcome to Canada! He was a little surprised at my answer to how long we’d be in Canada, as we headed to Alaska; up to three weeks. He asked if we had any firearms; we didn’t. He also asked if I was a CCW holder; I am. What did I carry; P239 in 9mm and a HK P2000 in .40. Where did I carry it; right hip. He said he preferred the glock, chided us for not signing our passports and sent us on our way.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:17 PM   #5

We also crossed at Sweet Grass last summer on our way to Alaska. There was no one in front of us. I had a shotgun in the trailer and the Canadian Firearms Declaration Form all filled out and the agent just had me park and go inside with the form. They did a computer check and cleared me. I paid $25 CDN and we were on our way north. No hassle at all.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #6

Border Crossing. It's a crap shoot both directions.
If you are Canadian heading south on Hwy 97 into Washington driving or towing an RV you WILL be pulled over and your rig searched. Period.
So don t feel like you were singled out. Border Guards are doing what they are paid and trained to do. Regardless of the direction you're traveling.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I travel alone. So I do not have a navigator. Coming down Hwy 97 into Washington I was surprised to see the boarder booth. It was too late to get the dog’s papers out of the TT. So I just pulled up and handed over my passport. All was well till the dog papers came up and I explained where they were and why I did not have them in the cab of the truck. THEN he asked if I bought any MEAT in Canada. I knew about no beef coming into the USA. I told him I had bought Johnsonville brats at the last town because I was out of them and happy to find them in Canada. We had one heck of a discussion about that. First they are made and packaged in Wisconsin and they are made of PORK. I think the line forming behind me got me through the check point. That and keeping the conversation cool.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharrisv65 View Post
. When we went in, the border guard checked our documents, asked a few questions, then told us to wait right there. He and another guard went inside the MH, probably stayed inside about 10 minutes, then came out and told us to have a good trip.
Were you given the opportunity to go inside with them to observe them search?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #9

When we get stopped at Blaine Wa. by the US Border Services it is usually an agricultural inspection. They make us put he dog in a caged area and we sit inside on a bench while they search the rig. Usually 10 minutes later we are on our way...had a couple of tomatoes arrested on year as they didn't have the product of USA stickers on them. Returning to Canada the CDN border services seems to worry more about alcohol and bear spray.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #10

Yep, we had the agriculture inspection by the US when we crossed back into the lower 48 south of Osoyoos, BC last summer. She went into our trailer and came out with two potatoes from the fridge and apologized saying since they were not commercially packaged we could not bring them into the US. (Like I really cared about two spuds. LOL) Then she looked at them and noticed both had a little sticker saying Product of USA. We had bought them in Alaska. She turned around, went back inside and out them back in the fridge and when she came back out we shared a good laugh about it.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Not given the option

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Were you given the opportunity to go inside with them to observe them search?
The guard told us to "wait right here", which was inside the building, then he and another guy went inside the MH. We were close to the MH, just inside the door of the facility and could see them going through the cabinets, etc.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last year we crossed at the crossing just to the east of the Peace Arch crossing in Washington. The agent asked his questions, and got around to the firearms ones. When I said I had them all at home he asked what I had. I started listing them off: 1851 Navy Colt, replica Brown Bess flintlock pistol in .72 cal, replica Kentucky rifle caplock in .45 cal, and other black powder arms he laughed and said "I don't get many people with those kinds of firearms!" and waved us through.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #13

On our first crossing into the US with an RV at Detroit on our way to Florida I was asked if we were "transporting" any citrus fruit.
I said no, but was told to get out of the RV and made to stand beside the RV in a t-shirt in January with a guard holding a gun on me while 2 others searched inside.
Sure enough, they found 1 orange from breakfast, and that started the interrogation and belittlement of my Wife who was in tears while I froze outside.
Their arrogance and attempt at intimidation was over the top.
Twenty minutes later, after finding no other contraband they left the coach, starred at me (still outside) and said "get out of here".
I know they have a job to do, but it was a classic case of some one being given more authority than they knew how to handle.
The lesson for us is not to cross with "ANY" fruits, vegetables, eggs or lamb.
After many crossings in both directions across the 49th, we have had very positive experiences, but interestingly, have been told one thing, the Detroit border is a training facility, so you have jerks teaching other new guards how to be jerks!
Maybe this explains their over zealous approach.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #14

Wow, they actually held a gun on you over an orange?? Wow!

Tags
ada, alaska, alaska trip, canada