Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

first RV experience for NC or SC?

hello -

we are thinking about buying an rv, but wanted to rent one first and wanted some suggestions on where to go for several days in the next month or so.

we live near roanoke,va and i think we will be renting an rv from a facility there. i was thinking of renting a big C with 1 or 2 slides.(i had thought of that style because we are looking at super C or a truck conversion and thought that would be a more similar experience than a pusher would be) we will not be bringing a toad with us.

i thought we would go somewhere on the coast of NC or SC. i dont want to make this a trip where we have to cook all the meals - but rather have a place that has dining facilities on-site or within walking distance.

we have koa book, but being total novices, all it seems like all they have pictures of swimming pools and kids playing.

i think we would be looking more at an "RV resort" vs a campground situation -- i think.

would greatly appreciate any input on where we can go that would leave a lasting impression.

tks,

gil
gilunionhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Shhhh, don't tell my wife because she thinks the 'RV experience' IS cooking all the meals and staying in a campground full of kids in swimming pools!

Have you thought of Asheville, NC? Also Pigeon Forge, TN has campgrounds with walking distance of many restaurants.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #3

NC/SC

tks for responding

we have had several cruising sailboats in the past and are familiar with the "boating experience" as well - although we didnt have a big fridge, m-wave generator, etc that we will have on a motorhome. (and looking forward to!)

as i said, i am interested in the coastal, ie - warmer areas of the state. we have been to the places you mentioned and they are nice - but not what i am looking for. do you have any "coastal" suggestions?

tks

gil
gilunionhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:52 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Gil, There are so many places on both coasts. The Outer Banks is popular although I have not been there yet. If you are looking for a quiet area I think the Atlantic Beach Emerald Isle area is nice. Wilmington has a KOA, but it is not on the beach and is very pricey. Myrtle Beach is my favorite off season. So much to do. I can't think of any CG that has restaurants on site or within walking distance, but some others might come on an help you there. When we go to Myrtle Beach, we rent a car pretty cheap from Enterprise to get around in. I don't go to the KOA's anymore. They have gotten so overpriced. When you do buy your RV, I would recommend getting Good Sam's membership for 10% discount and Passport America for 50% discount. I hope this helped some.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #5

I HIGHLY recommend Hunting Island State Park in SC. It's about 30 minutes from Beaufort, a charming town in itself, and relatively close to Hilton Head. Being a state park it is full of interesting things to do and see, and not in the middle of a packed beach full of tourist-traps. The campground is beautifully wooded and has some sites right on the spectacular beach; the beach is an easy walk from any of the sites. You will see little coastal deer and raccoon walk through the campground as if they own it. Do a Google image search and check it out. It fills up quickly in the summer so if you want to go there get your reservations in.
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gilunionhall,
Like bsirby suggested, forget the walking distance to restaurants and entertainment. Consider getting a rental cal from Enterprise. They will come to the CG and deliver the car to you.

Only the suggestions in Myrtle Beach are on the beach.

Hilton Head, SC
1. Hilton Head Motor Coach Resort/ Outdoor Resorts 800-722-2365
2. Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort & Marina 843-681-3256

Charleston, SC
1. Oak Plantation 843-766-5936
2. The Campground At James Island 843-795-3486

Myrtle Beach, SC
1. Lakewood Camping Resort 877-525-3966
2. Ocean Lakes Family Campground 800-341-4749
3. Pirateland Family Campground 800-443-2267
All three of the above mentioned CGs are on the beach, family oriented CGs. Also, they are right next to each other at the southern end of Myrtle Beach.

For North Carolina, anything near the water is "rural". The Outer Banks are nice, but once your there, your there.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #7

Charleston, SC is very nice with a lot to do and see. It has many great restaurants and shopping. You will need to rent a car as no campgrounds are near the center of town and some of the sights to visit are in and around the area. I would suggest Oak Plantation Campground as a good place to stay.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #8

James Island County Park in SC has a daily shuttle to Charleston and back. In Charleston,at the visitor center, you can pay for an all-day pass on the trolley system and go all over. Great restaurants, shopping, and history.We love Charleston. Staying at James island gets you into Folly Beach State park for free--it's on the ocean and has great facilities.
poodlecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #9

If you want a nice relaxing time in the myrtle beach area you should check out Huntington Beach State Park which is far enough away from MB to avoid major traffic yet close enough to see all the touristy stuff you could ever want. HBSP is also close to great seafood places to eat, has nature trails, a really good beach, Brookgreen Gardens which is just across the road.

You indicate you won't be bringing a toad, but you could arange for a for a renatl car. I can't imagine wanting to eat at any campgrounds on-site restaurant unless it Disney.

I also second James Island County Park in Charleston and Hunting Island, but you will want some transportation. I think James Island does provide shuttle service.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carolina's this time of year can get kind of cold and white out side.. However the UPSTATE area of SC has some "low lands" (Below 1000 feet elevation) southern Oconee county is warm enough that I do not worry about water lines freezing (though the supply hose outside may).

In Seneca SC there is a small county park, for the rest of this month you can get your choice of 30 or 50 amp sites, 12.00/night, The park is called SOUTH COVE and I can give directions. I'll be there first half of the week that changes from FEB to MAR when the price goes up .. Way up.

Sites have water and electric, there is a dump station for your waste tanks but only one . Look for the intersection of State routes 123, 76, 59 and 28, when you find them (Or Sandifier bvld and blue ridge, if I have spelled it right) and directions from there are easy (2 lights north, turn right 1 light, turn right end of road)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our first trip in our rig was 7.1 miles from our house at a local campground. That way we learned what we needed but didn't have with us. The campground was next to an exit off one of the major byways but we felt like we were deep in the woods. Great experience. Welcome to Oak Hollow Campground
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Campfire Lodgings, 15mi north of Asheville, 2400' elevation, great views, nice people.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
James Island County Park in SC has a daily shuttle to Charleston and back. In Charleston,at the visitor center, you can pay for an all-day pass on the trolley system and go all over. Great restaurants, shopping, and history.We love Charleston. Staying at James island gets you into Folly Beach State park for free--it's on the ocean and has great facilities.
Come on Down, book early in James Island County Park, nice campground but we locals like to use it for weekends. Wonderful resturants, lots to see and lots of history. Especially, about that war of Northern Agression that we all hear about. People are really friendly and we welcome tourist. You can go to the beaches but, the water is still a little cold, 50ish temp. wise but still nice to walk on the beaches and watch the waves come in.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We live in Huddleston on the lake so near you.

Many good suggestions already given. Our favorite 'beach' location is Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach in the off-season (would not go near the place in the summer months ). Also recommend James Island County Park in Charleston. That is probably one of the best overall municipal RV parks we've ever visited. Great hiking/biking trails, fenced dog park, close to Charleston if you want to see that area. The Holiday Travel Park at Emerald Isle, NC is also nice.