Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #1

First RV trip

So to get our feet wet before making any large purchases we have rented a 2005 38' Coachmen Sportscoach 370DS to take on a 400 mile trip from Atlanta to Homosassa, FL in July (our first RV trip, as adults anyway). I am considering leaving in the evening and stopping at an RV spot along the way for an overnighter (get an extra experience setting up and tearing down). Any park suggestions between Macon and Valdosta (closer to Macon probably since it will be late/dark)? Since we are just passing through it can be basic but hookups would be needed. Or should I skip that part and leave ATL the next morning and go straight to Homosassa?
rECUpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2. There is a great website called rvparkreviews .
Here's a link to Macon Ga.
http://campgroundreviews.com/regions/Georgia/Macon.html
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

Just a few points:

Many parks don't allow entry or set up too late, it disturbs everyone else. Most camp offices close by 9 pm. A diesel RV can be especially noisy rolling in late, not making friends among those already settled!

To do all 400 miles in one day is ambitious. Not impossible, but we have discovered we have dialed back our daily mileage to enjoy ourselves more. This from a person that in an auto thought nothing of 650-750 mile days for the past 40 years! Your distance would be best split into two days in my opinion.

In addition, I'm sure you know picking up a rental RV is not like picking up a car rental. You'll need time to have systems and equipment explained, stowing your personal gear, etc. You might get away from Atlanta later than you think.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #4

Thank you for the responses. BFlinn that is a great point about the late arrival. I certainly don't want to be "that guy". Do you think arrival prior to 9pm is the acceptable rule of thumb?

Yeah I have considered the problem with the timing of leaving ATL. Considering I can't do my pickup until 1pm and probably back to the house by 3pm at the earliest, by the time we get everything stowed I am already stuck in the ATL hot mess in a large rig that I have never attempted. To be near Macon before 9pm I have to be on the road before 6. It will be really tight.
rECUpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #5

possible options: pre pack in reusable grocery bags. I usually have all our food and freezer stuff already sorted for a quick load and go. You could do the same with clothing.

For overnight, we stopped at Cracker Barrel - good dinner and breakfast - on our shakedown cruise from Memphis TN to Charleston SC. Just a thought.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #6

We would highly recommend that you leave the next morning. After the rental stuff, getting home and packing and dealing with traffic and nighttime, you just won't be in a 'safe' frame of mind to be driving a new, large vehicle. Get a good night's sleep and be refreshed for your new challenges ahead. Undoubtedly, you will have one or two! We all did on our first campground visit! Enjoy the trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #7

I would go so far a to recomend that you stay that first nite in your own driveway. You will be surprised how many times the question will be ask- Where did we put xxxxx?, Did we forget xxxxx? etc.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #8

Stay in a campground close to a Walmart. Stock up on necessary items. Then keep a running list when you run out of something and replace ASAP. You'll always be prepared to go!
campingisfun is offline   Reply With Quote