Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
First time in Canada

We are hoping to enter Canada in New Brunswick travel some of the coast and then head to Quebec and Montreal. After that we are looking at taking Hwy. 17 all the way to Sault Ste. Marie. Has any one done this trip before? And, as first timer in Canada any words of advice?

Graham and Lu

Anewstage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

I'll track down the Canadian Government link, for items not allowed to be transported into Canada and post it for you. Lost track of it at the moment.

Do you have passports ? When are you planning the trip for?

EDIT: This web page has links to the Government sites.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
We are actually hoping to do this in the next few weeks. We do have passports. Hopefully nothing "illegal". Just wondering if there was anything in particular to be aware of ... Different hook up in campsites, how much will I need to rely on my high school French should we avoid certain areas because they motor home unfriendly. We are traveling without a toad. Should we set up camp near a metropolis and rent a car? Just any info at all really!
Anewstage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #4

Good that you have the high school French, because most road signs , in Quebec are not Bi-lingual, Some areas of New Brunswick are the same near the boarder. Larger chain restaurants will have an English menu available , and most servers will do their best to help . I always apologised in advance ( in French ) for my 50 year old French training. Some camp sites check in without French can take a little longer. Hook ups, in sites, are North American universal.
Can't comment on Highway 17 through Ontario , I haven't driven that route since 1974.
If you are planning on taking 132 around the Gaspé, be aware that sections of the route are carved out of the base of a cliff and at high tide if there is a storm , vehicles have been swept off the road by waves. Four years ago when I traveled it ; it qualified as the roughest road I'd ever towed a trailer on, 5 years of owning that 5er, I had never broken a thing till I got on that route. We didn't go to the large suburban areas; DW was tracing her roots through the townships, so we were in the smaller centers.

EDIT: I should say avoiding Toronto with a motor home is a good idea.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Was on 17 in June - road was fine.
HR Endeavor DST Bath and 1/2
330 HP Allison 6-Speed - 7.5 mpg US
Me and the DW
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:17 PM   #6
I live in the Sudbury, Ontario area and I travel with a 33 foot Hurricane. I travelled to the east coast and back last year with no issues. Lots of construction in Montreal and fast drivers. I have been east towards Ottawa in July along Hwy#17. Two lane highway with approx. 6 bridges around Pembroke, being repaired.
Take bypass in Sudbury to avoid traffic in the city and construction. Hwy#17 from Sudbury to Sault St. Marie two lane and in good shape. Takes about 3 to 4 hours to travel in motorhome. Be aware that Customs on US side of bridge is under major repairs. So expect delays. New building and inspection booths being build. Enjoy your trip.
norml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
You won't notice any difference between Canada and the US.
Just remember you are NOT ALLOWED to carry a gun across the border.
Welcome to Canada and have a safe good time.
royr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Gaspe is a must see. As stated earlier HWY 132 is right along the coast. Travelled it this summer and it is in good shape and the scenery is fantastic. Entering Quebec from NB if you follow the coast you would enter Quebec from Campbellton NB. If you boondock, you can stay right on Restigouche River across from the Civic Centre in Campbellton. There is a dump station at this location as well sea/other food vendors. Once crossing into Quebec there are duty free shops for Beer and Cigarettes(Indian Reservation). HWY 132 follows the coast then the St. Lawrence River and there are plenty of rest stops along the way, all the way to Quebec City. You might even see whales. No worry about speaking French along the Gaspe or Quebec city, as they are very used to tourists and will speak English.
Fuel prices in Quebec are about 10 cents more a litre than Ontario. 3.78 litres to an American gallon.
HWY 417 through Ottawa is undergoing major construction in the east end. If you plan on site seeing in Ottawa there are two campgrounds which are close to public transportation. Wesley Clover Parks Campground -- formerly the Ottawa Municipal Campground is in the west end off of HWY 417 which will turn into HWY 17. This campground is like a State Park with individual sites. Rideau Heights Campground just off of Prince of Wales Drive north of Hunt Club Road is more like a RV park, but is close to down town Ottawa. You can do a search on either if your interested.

In the Soo, if you boondock, stay at the Walmart on the American side. On the Canadian side they give tickets($15 in 2010).

Enjoy your tour of Canada.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
Very timely. We are planning on entering Canada at Sault Ste. Marie after visiting Mackinac Island and take 17 toward Ottawa and Montreal and re-enter the US in Vermont. Any suggestions for campgrounds along the way? We like to drive 300 miles or less in a day. There will be 3 of us, one in a 40' motorhome and 2 of us in 36' fifth wheels. We will be there at the end of September.
2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM
2015 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4X4 dually
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #10
First time in Canada

We just got back from Canada on the 2nd. We did the other direction. Soo to Thunder Bay. Hwy 17 had lots of construction but not bad

Need your passports - questions they asked. Did we have guns, drugs, pepper spray-- need license plate # on the RV. How long you staying in Canada. Coming back wondered what we purchased while there.. Quit easy for us. We were in a 40' coach pulling toad. No issues either way.

ChallengerRN is online now   Reply With Quote