Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #1

First Time This Happened to Me

We called a Passport America campground named Pine Knoll Campground, in Conway, New Hampshire to check availability. The answering machine said "Hello, this is Pine Knoll campground and no one is in the office right now, but leave your name and number and we will call you right back". We never got a call back and when we arrived at the campground, we were met by several RV leaving. I drove up to the office and it was not only closed, but completely empty of all furniture. I walked down into the campground and found someone hooking up a travel trailer to a pickup truck and asked him if the campground was open. He looked at me and said "NO. they have been bought out by someone who wants to turn this area into condos and we all have been ordered to vacate the premises immediately!"

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

I can see how condos could make just a little bit more money for the owners than a campground........ bummer.

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #3

Here is a story from the local newspaper:

Albany Town Column: Pine Knoll Campground sold
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The CG we spend most of our winter in was sold and will be a "resort hotel". People have been camping there with their families for over 50 years so it is sad to see this. Money talks, campers walk.

Would have been nice if Pine Knoll could have at least changed the message on the answering machine to say we are permanently closed.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:48 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Bernardo Shores in Imperial Beach, CA was sold about a year ago for condo development. A very nice RV resort was lost, sad. Of course they gave their campers plenty of notice.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The article said something about turning it into a tent camping experience with tents and everything provided. No Rv's...I feel sorry for the seasonal campers who now have to move all the items they built attached to their RV like decks and awnings..
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:30 PM   #7

OP: I hope you contacted Passport America so they can remove them from their system. Then others won't stop there needlessly.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The article says Huttopia will convert it to Glamping...

We saw this "migration" from a Campground/RV Park to a "Glamping" spot (Glampground?).

Click image for larger version

Name:	tents_01.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	141479

Not for us, but maybe a successful operation...see the photos here:
Wyoming Glamping - Jackson Hole Glamour Camping in Wilson, WY

Fireside had cabins in the front and RV's in the back of the clubhouse (looked like it was an ol' KOA at one time(?).
http://jacksonholecampground.com/
The manager said the RV spots would be changed to the "tents" as budget/time allowed...Hope not. Really too bad to be losing these faculties to that kind of (IMHO) VERY different customer ...there were moose walking right through our spot, daily.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We called a Passport America campground named Pine Knoll Campground, in Conway, New Hampshire to check availability. The answering machine said "Hello, this is Pine Knoll campground and no one is in the office right now, but leave your name and number and we will call you right back". We never got a call back and when we arrived at the campground, we were met by several RV leaving. I drove up to the office and it was not only closed, but completely empty of all furniture. I walked down into the campground and found someone hooking up a travel trailer to a pickup truck and asked him if the campground was open. He looked at me and said "NO. they have been bought out by someone who wants to turn this area into condos and we all have been ordered to vacate the premises immediately!"
Bigd9
Why do you bother to drive to a campground that didn't bother to call you back?
Old 10-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Bigd9
Why do you bother to drive to a campground that didn't bother to call you back?
We often call in the morning to check on availability or seasonal closing especially this late in the season. I have found that sometimes the campground office isn't staffed at that time of day. In this case we had a short day and got there about 1 PM. Driving here we passed through the White Mountains with very limited or spotty cell service, so I assumed the call could have been made but we missed it, or they just hadn't staffed the office yet.

I was just surprised the message seemed to indicate everything was hunky dory with the campground. Even their web page indicated the campground was open till the 15th of this month.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
OP: I hope you contacted Passport America so they can remove them from their system. Then others won't stop there needlessly.
Yes, email was sent.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
That's the way it's done in New England (unfortunately, and I am a New Yorker who moved to new englander) 😀😆😀 hahaha....sorry for your inconvenience on behalf of our New England campground. It is disgraceful at times, perhaps a little more thoughtfulness and compassion would help this world.....I hope it doesn't discourage people from visiting New England
Old 10-16-2016, 08:57 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It just goes to show some people have no class.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #14

Happened in Moab, Riverside Oasis RV Park is now a hotel.

2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote