Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
First Trip home

I am hopefully going to buy a new to me 2000 Winnebago Journey from Lazydays in Fla. I live in Central PA. I want to make this trip in 2 days. Can someone help me out on where I can Stay some where in VA. I think I'll be on I-81. I plan on leaving at Sun-up and driving until 3 or 4 in the afternoon. This will be my first time driving a MH. I don't want to be driving in the dark. I would then get an early start and hopefully get home in the afternoon. Any help would be great! Thanks, Scott
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
WoW!! That is a TRIP in a MH you have never driven before IF you try to make it in two days. Chances are you will not get out on time from LD unless you are set up the previous night before you leave in their CG. Roughly 1000 miles to central Pa. That is 500 miles per day. Don't have the destination city, but picked a random spot in the middle of Pa. RandMcNally tries to route up I-95 through Washington and Baltimore. Going to be some major traffic in both locations. Suggest you hit I-77 around Columbia, SC and head north to I-81 and then home. Less traffic and better roads. It is indeed doable, but you are gonna be a tired puppy when you make it home.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
After looking at a map, I figure Charlotte, NC is half way. So any information on a place to park for the night would be great! Yes I think I'll be tired but I sure would like to be back home before Christmas. I hope to park it in our Driveway until I can get a more permanent spot for Winter storage. Scott
Old 12-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
paz

To me, it sounds like a long trip to make in 2 days in a new motorhome that you're unfamiliar with, but it's doable.

Carowinds theme park has Camp Wilderness, and it's located just off I-77 at the last exit in South Carolina just before you get to Charlotte. The theme park is closed, but the web site says the campground is open year round.

There are a couple of other campgrounds on up I-85 around Salisbury, NC, but you'll probably be heading up I-77.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I do the trip from NJ to the Keys about 2-3 times a year and 3 days is a real push. Like the other posters said, if you're new to driving a motorhome, pushing it while learning about cross winds, trucks, and driver who text...

I-95 is the most direct route but I usually turn off in Fredricksburg and take VA Rt. 17 up to I-66 West. That links up with I-81 just below Winchester VA. From there its a clean shot into Carlisle and Harrisburg. That way you avoid the whole DC mess.

Buy the book called The Next Exit as it will tell you all the truck stops and Wal Marts where you can overnight while in transit.

Another suggestion would be to get a campground for a night or two near Lazy Dayz so you can get all the kinks out while they are still close to repair.

Good luck!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
slp45 > there is a neat place to overnight up on 81 in Virginia. It is called "Interstate overnight (overnite?) in Christiansburg, Va. Just off the interstate. Pull in, pick a site and drop $20 in an envelope in a slot in the office door. Full hookups and 50 amp. Laundry etc. It was $20 a few years ago, probably a little more now. We never saw anyone.

This is a further north than Charlotte, but there are not a lot of possibilities in the Charlotte area. Just a suggestion
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
After checking around I found a KOA in Fort Mills, SC. just before Charlotte, NC. I think I am going to try and make it that far the first night.
Thanks for all the help. Scott