Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #1

First trip out - family destination to knock our socks off

Planning our first trip out in our new class a. I have daughters 15 and 12, and my son is 8. We could go anywhere and I want this trip to be a blast for all. I would love suggestions for some really great family rv resorts with a few things to do nearby. We're up for anything - but looking at the map of 48 states is kind of overwhelming.
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #2

You might want to consider purchasing "1,000 places to see before you die" by Paul Schultz, it is full of all kinds of places to visit and very interesting to read. We are getting to leave TX for the Northeastern states and places from the book I mentioned are on the way and we will visit as many as possible.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #3

It would help us to know where you are starting from and how much time you have for your trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #4

Starting in KS I would suggest west. Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier are all must see National Parks. From you home base, get onto I80 and turn North through Jackson Hole and into the Tetons. Then into Yellowstone through the south entrance and exit through the north entrance. Great HIGH pass. Through MT and into Glacier. If you have your passports, a slight detour into Canada before you turn back SE through the bad lands and MT Rushmore, and home.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
yellowstone!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #6

Sorry about that, we are headed out of Kansas City and have 13 days.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #7

For 13 days I would head to Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. There's enough in the parks and in the immediate area to keep everyone busy. The weather is great in the summer.

Another idea would be the southern Utah national parks but it's very, very hot in the summer. That's more of a late spring, early fall route to make it really enjoyable, especially if you're outdoors folks and like to do some hikes.

I would definitely recommend that you don't try to cram too much into the limited time you have. Make it a true vacation, not a marathon. Have fun whatever you choose!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #8

I'd also suggest the first time out, take a weekend and go somewhere close. Get used to your rig and where things are. We moved stuff three times because what we thought were good places to put dishes/food/etc turned out to be awkward.

Welcome to iRV2 - the wealth of information here is PHENOMENAL!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Networx,
For me, keeping driving time to a minimum will keep fun time to a maximum. Consider:
1. Branson, Missouri
2. Crater of Diamonds State Park, Arkansas (Did for diamonds and keep what you find)
3. Hot Springs, Arkansas
4. Memphis, Tennessee (Stay at Tom Sawyers CG in West Memphis, Arkansas. You will be right on the Mississippi River).
5. Nashville, Tennessee

The above mentioned places should have enough variety for everyone in the family.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
How about the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in TN and NC. Gatlinburg is like Myrtle Beach without the beach. So you can do the kids stuff in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and do the vacation nature viewing one mile out of Gatlinburg in the Smoky's. There are 10 federal campgrounds in the national park with Elkmont and Smokemont being the two larger ones RV friendly. Remember no electric or showerhouses in the park. 10-20 private campground 3 to 25 miles outside the park.

We did 5 days at Elkmont, 3 at a private CG in Gatlinburg and then another 4 nights on the southern side of the Smoky's at Smokemont.

Smoky Mtn pics from 2012
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

The area around Royal Gorge in Colorado is beautiful. Short drive up to Monarch Pass, lots of family oriented entertainment. (White water rafting, riding the lifts up the mountain side, old west town, etc.) In fact, tons of beautiful places in Colorado...Rocky Mtn National Park, Great Sand Dunes National Park, etc.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
- Badlands of SD - only place you can hike ANYWHERE
- Minuteman Missile silos - tour a real underground launch facility
- Wall Drug - can't miss it on any road trip
- Hot Springs SD Woolly Mammoth site - like 200 of them being dug out of the mud
- Mt. Rushmore - spectacular
- Crazy Horse - one crazy family digging a sculpture out of a mountain
- Devils Tower - have the kids watch Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind before you leave
- Yellowstone - don't know if you can get reservations at Fishing Bridge but its worth a try
- Tetons and Jackson Hole
- Thermopolis, WY to swim in the hot springs

All stops that I made with my kids and have their approval!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #13

AWESOME, thanks for all the great replies. We've already done some short trips of various lengths, this will be our first long trip on the road. I'll let you know now it goes!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Networx View Post
AWESOME, thanks for all the great replies. We've already done some short trips of various lengths, this will be our first long trip on the road. I'll let you know now it goes!
We just left Yellowstone and are now in Jackson Hole. I would highly recommend that you have reservations for your base campground(s) before you leave as there are a lot of folks visiting Yellowstone and Tetons this time of the year. Allow lots of time as animal sitings will cause traffic jams that can slow you down in Yellowstone. Don't stop for the first Bison you see as you enter the park. There are many, many Bison and you will see herds if you go where they are. I would suggest a base camp near the East or West entrance. If you can get a reservation, Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone is very nice.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote