Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

First trip out West

Going out west for the first time this May. Does anyone have recommendations for good Rv Resorts in the Jackson Hole area. I have a 38ft Class A with three slides. Wanting to use Jackson Hole as my base camp for touring Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Recommendations for sites to see would also be helpful.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Buffalo Bill museum in Cody. Chief Joseph highway. Bear Tooth Pass.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:22 PM   #3

The Virginian Lodge seems to be the best of the 2 RV parks actually in Jackson, WY. Many people like Rafter J Ranch too.
Since Jackson is a tourist destination, everyplace is expensive unless you boondock.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

Jackson really is too far away to tour the Tetons and Yellowstone. I would recommend getting a site at Colter Bay RV in Grand Teton Nat'l Park. It's midway between Jackson and Yellowstone and in a much prettier setting than Jackson.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #5

We stayed at Lazy J corral - I don't think they make reservations but it was nice, not fancy but inexpensive and adequate. Owners extremely nice. They recommended going to the Bar J Chuckwagon show and we enjoyed it.

2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #6

It's a pretty good drive just to get to Yellowstone from Jackson then it's a ways into Yellowstone to see a lot.

If you are coming in or leaving through the east side, then Cody, Chief Joseph & Beartooth are must sees. Actually, they're worthy of a destination!
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If were me I would not try to select a base to see Yellowstone and the Tetons, too far apart and Yellowstone is too big. I would stay in Yellowstone at Fishing Bridge or in West Yellowstone at Grizzly. For a one place base you might look at Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch which is between the parks.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Buffalo Bill museum in Cody. Chief Joseph highway. Bear Tooth Pass.

Yep, all are "must sees" !

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would recommend getting a place right next to or actually in the park you want to visit. Until you've been there it's hard to grasp just how big these western NPs are! Depending on what particular sight you want to see at Yellowstone on a given day, you may have a 50-60 mile drive AFTER you've passed the entrance gate.

If not this trip, be sure at some time you visit Glacier NP.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I would recommend getting a place right next to or actually in the park you want to visit. Until you've been there it's hard to grasp just how big these western NPs are! Depending on what particular sight you want to see at Yellowstone on a given day, you may have a 50-60 mile drive AFTER you've passed the entrance gate.

If not this trip, be sure at some time you visit Glacier NP.

X2
Old 02-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #11

We've stayed twice at The Virginian in Jackson. Last stay just this summer. It is a gravel well kept parking lot type RV park immediately behind The Virginian Hotel. You have full use of the hotel amenities, pool, laundry, wifi. Very central location just a mile or two from the Jackson Central Square. Don't miss the Bar J Chuckwagon BarBQ in Jackson. Well worth the fare and a fun evening of entertainment. The Million Dollar Saloon is pretty cool. Jackson is a bit far for a basecamp for Yellowstone, a good hour or more drive to the entrance. I'd suggest pulling up stakes and basecamping at West Yellowstone for the Yellowstone experience. We really liked West Yellowstone KOA, Grizzly is another favorite (closer but less amenities).
Enjoy
Old 02-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
If were me I would not try to select a base to see Yellowstone and the Tetons, too far apart and Yellowstone is too big. I would stay in Yellowstone at Fishing Bridge or in West Yellowstone at Grizzly. For a one place base you might look at Headwaters Lodge & Cabins at Flagg Ranch which is between the parks.
I agree. We stayed at Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone for five days and toured Yellowstone three days of that and still hadn't seen everything in the park. The speed limit in the park is 45 mph with frequent stopped traffic for wildlife so it takes quite a while to get around in the park.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I agree. We stayed at Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone for five days and toured Yellowstone three days of that and still hadn't seen everything in the park. The speed limit in the park is 45 mph with frequent stopped traffic for wildlife so it takes quite a while to get around in the park.
Thank you much for the reply, just booked a reservation request for Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park. Coming from the east are there any concerns related to the drive there. I know the mid west is a lot of flat land , don't know much about the area around Yellowstone. I's in a 2012 Georgetown 378 gas coach
Old 03-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdarrow11 View Post
Thank you much for the reply, just booked a reservation request for Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park. Coming from the east are there any concerns related to the drive there. I know the mid west is a lot of flat land , don't know much about the area around Yellowstone. I's in a 2012 Georgetown 378 gas coach
On our latest trip there, I took an easy, interesting route starting from Des Moines, Iowa. I-80 to Little America in SW Wyoming. North on Hwy 30 after leaving Little America (good place to fill up and take a bit of a break). Keeping on Hwy 30 through Oakley and Cokeville WY, to Hwy 89 near the Idaho border. Hwy 89 north to Alpine, WY and on to Hoback and Jackson, WY. Nice, easy route, services along the way and not crowded or too busy.

Hwy 89 from Alpine to Jackson follows the Snake River and is a beautiful, easy (not steep) drive through the mountains. Lots of turn offs for picture taking or having lunch. There are campgrounds along the way right on the river.

Then there's the section of 89 between Jackson and Yellowstone Park. This passes through the Grand Tetons National Park and is something not to be missed. We stayed at Flagg Ranch campground at the North end of Grand Tetons NP for one night before heading on up to West Yellowstone.
Headwaters Campground | Yellowstone Campgrounds & RV Parks | Flagg Ranch Company - Headwaters Lodge & Cabins Flagg Ranch Company -

Hwy 89 will bring you to the south entrance to Yellowstone NP. Then through the park over to West Yellowstone and Grizzly RV Park. Now you've got it made, sitting at the doorstep to the park.

This route builds anticipation as you get closer to Yellowstone. The drive from Alpine to Hoback is not busy and you mostly have the road all to yourself and we were there in July.

We left Yellowstone out the North entrance and went on up to Billings MT., beautiful, and then on to Theodore Roosevelt NP and then on down to Devil's Tower and then the Black Hills.

The Grand Tetons:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3003.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	87453