Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question First trip south for vacation

does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for our first rv trip starting jan. from wny south? just trying the lifestyle out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Leaving Western New York in January is going to be a bit tuff due to the winter conditions, when a window(good weather and good roads) comes get going........
Don't forget your wallet with your credit cards and roll..........Have fun!

Old 11-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

How long do you intend to stay out? How far do you want to travel?
Old 11-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
we are planning a 3-4 week trip.we need suggestions where to go,what to see and do.thanks for any help you can give
Old 11-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrandusky View Post
we are planning a 3-4 week trip.we need suggestions where to go,what to see and do.thanks for any help you can give
My friend had this same issue at first and what he did was pointed in the direction he wanted to go and took off if he missed a exit ect well he said he just made a new plan just random travels said it was one of his best trips to date good luck !
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Notify your credit card company that you are traveling.

Otherwise they may block your card when they see it going out of state.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #7

A lot of southern campgrounds will be full. Snowbirds. Check for availability . It will effect your decisions. Don't want to get there and find there is no room at the inn.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Last winter we headed south for the first time as newbies. We tried Louisiana and Mississippi but the weather was still too cold for us, so we headed to the panhandle of Florida. Actually, we originally thought we would head for south Texas but a cold front and bad weather set in so we made a U turn and headed for Florida. We found a nice campground on the Gulf at Carrabelle, Florida called HoHum. Stayed there a week then headed further south and ended up in Bushnell, Florida. Although the two big campgrounds in Bushnell is a snowbird destination, we found available space at both of the big RV Parks (try Red Oaks). This area was great for getting out of the cold weather. This will be our future snowbird destination. Nice people and plenty to do. Short drive to Orlando or Tampa. Can't go this year due to family health issues but maybe next year. Good luck.
Parkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for our first rv trip starting jan. from wny south? just trying the lifestyle out.
Hey neighbor:

We're just down the road from you. Matter of fact, we took our A/C unit off the top of our 5'r on the Front St. bridge on our way to our first big adventure. Oops!! Not a good beginning!

Not really sure what you have in mind, but we went to Charleston, SC, the end of June 2013. We spent a week there at James Island County Park. Great place! Would highly recommend it. The area is full of history and a lot of things to do. Don't know what it's like in January, but we loved it there!

We've been into rv'ng for 3 years now. Spent the first couple just doing some local stuff, did our road trip this year and in 2014 we're going to spend time exploring some of our NYS parks.

Happy Camping!!
Old 12-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Smile Just go as far as you can.

Quote:

We have made the trip to the Keys and Fl Gulf many times. we now own a home in the Venice gulf area.

Several thing to know is that you can stay at almost any Walmart over night except for those in florida. there are a few in northern FL that will allow overnight. check with Allstays map " Walmart Locations Store Details & Parking | Walmart Store Locator "to find them and always call ahead, asking for the store manager or assistant to ask permission and instructions for parking.

Don't plan to purchase fuel in North Carolina. very expensive compared to VA and SC. SC has the lowest prices other than New Jersey. So plan accordingly. Incidentally, if you get a walmart credit card, you can use it at Murphy gas stations, near walmarts, and get at leat 5 cents of every gallons. not a lot but if you are putting in 80 gallon of diesel it saves $4 buck which gives you 9 miles for free.

From where you live to a warm place might take four days of travel figure about 300 to 350 miles drive by one driver and upto 500 with two drivers. The most my wife and I have done is a 12 hour run but that wears you out.

traffic anywhere near washington dc and south along 95 through northern VA is usually miserably slow. even stopped. when that happens we get off and find a place to relax, eat, watch TV, sleep and get back on the road latter in the evening when mostly only big rigs are moving.

Several rest areas in north carolina and elsewhere will not allow overnight for RV's so as I suggested just dry camp at Walmart. We never see much benefit in paying for a camping space for only overnight but will stop at one if we plan to visit the area or just take a day for relaxing. Many of the camping spots along 95 are very accessible but sometimes near Amtrak rail which will wake you several time a night with the big amtrack 5 stack horn.

You can stay in Charleston at the welcome center for $10 dry camp. tour buses and restaurants near by. Down in FL there is a nice camp ground on the Indian River that is run by the county. While looking don't for get to look for local government run camp grounds. they are inexpensive and generally very nice. Army Corps also has nice ground too. Clemson SC has very nice camping.

So if you do take the four weeks then plan one week for travel, two weeks for the stay and one week back. You might find comfortable temperatures starting in SC. Night in January can get fairly kool down to Freezing but the days warm up. Getting down to areas in the Gulf near Ft Meyers can have evenings in the 50 and days in the 80's

So there you have a short run down. If you have a specific, I might be able to help. I know my first trips where scarry but now we just simply "GO"
Old 12-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
A lot of southern campgrounds will be full. Snowbirds. Check for availability . It will effect your decisions. Don't want to get there and find there is no room at the inn.
Because of weather in the Dallas, TX area we switched our Macon, GA to Alamo, TX route to go nearly straight south to the gulf and then west. Take a look at what the locals refer to as the "Forgotten Coast" along the panhandle area of FL. We are now staying at the HO HUM RV CG in Carrabelle. Originally planned 2 days but changed to 7. According to what we see, this is not a traditional snow bird area and the local businesses don't really cater to us. Never the less, we have a gulf view out of our windshield and really are enjoying it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01423.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	51513   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01437.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	51514  

Old 12-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #12

Rexhall Owners Group
Hello Dgrandusky. Olean is my hometown. I visit mom there 3 to 4 times a year. Living in Chillicothe, Ohio now. Other posters have given you good advise. From my viewpoint, I have come to prefer avoiding the traffic, and mountains of the eastern routes south, and usually take the central route of I-65. You could pick up I-71 near Cleveland, and then hit Louisville, Nashville,etc.. ( a few days in Nashville are always fun ). I usually hit route 231 to the Gulf Coast, and if you wish, the panhandle can be a good destination.
Happy Travels,
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
if it was during the rally in the valley i think my wife and i saw the accident
Old 12-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #14

Quote:
if it was during the rally in the valley i think my wife and i saw the accident
No, it was the last week of June. Don't tell me that someone else had the same misfortune on the bridge.

Tags
cat