Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 10:45 PM   #1

First Trip...Suggestions needed

We bought our first TT about a month ago and are looking forward to this season. We are hoping to take a 2-3 day maiden voyage in early March from the Philadelphia area with our 2 girls. We are looking for advice/input on a destination within about a 3-4 hour drive from Philadelphia. We realize the weather may play a part in this trip. We just want to get out early and see some things. Fire away!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
From experience.....after purchasing our first new-to-us RV (motor home / NE Ohio) my Dear Wife and I decided to take our maiden voyage over the long Thanksgiving weekend. Though everything went well, we decided to stay closer to civilization for a couple of reasons: 1. Should something fail or was forgotten, we were within 1 hour from home or the RV supply store. 2. My experience driving the motor home consisted of a 40 mile drive home after purchase. 3. Should we have total failure, we wouldn't be stuck waiting days in the wilderness. 4. Trying to undertake too much on our maiden/test voyage could have ruined our desire to use it in the future.
We have been full-timing for three years in that motor home and are still learning something new all the time. Our experiences have, the majority of the time, been favorable (stuff happens). We felt learning to crawl before trying to run was the way to go.
Good Luck and Happy Traveling!

NRVIA Certified RV Inspector #523
2003 Monaco LaPalma 36DBD -
2013 Honda Fit
DartmanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #3

Looking forward to our first trip. The longest I have gone in our new to us MH was an hours drive to inside storage. I intend to keep withing I hour or less from home. I plan to spend a day or 2 in a full hook-up park.This will be a shakedown to see how/if all systems work and how I handle the experience.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtec1 View Post
We bought our first TT about a month ago and are looking forward to this season. We are hoping to take a 2-3 day maiden voyage in early March from the Philadelphia area with our 2 girls. We are looking for advice/input on a destination within about a 3-4 hour drive from Philadelphia. We realize the weather may play a part in this trip. We just want to get out early and see some things. Fire away!
It kind of depends on what you want to do. Either Cape May or the DelMaVa Peninsula are within an easy drive if the weather is cooperative. If not you can head inland to the Lancaster Area or the Shenandoah Valley as a few places to look. I would plan a couple of trips but stay loose and watch the weather. Personally I'd go for 2-3 hours with something to keep the kids amused and good shopping handy in case you need something. ;-)
Old 02-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club

Just remember, camping is fun.

Repeat that through your gritted teeth whenever something goes wrong. "CAMPING IS FUN!!!"

Nothing else to offer, welcome to the site. Fill out your personal profile and add a little info to your signature. It's helpful when answering questions if we know what rig you have, what you tow with, retired or full time, etc.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #6

For a quiet get away, you are about 3:30hrs from Chincoteague, VA. Things will still be "waking up" for the summer there in March, but that also means that the campgrounds will be quiet and you will have plenty of room to sort things out without a bunch of bystanders. As far as staying near civilization goes, just about anything you need is only a Walmart away. Which is about 30 minutes from Chincoteague.

We hope to give Tom's Cove Campground, in Chincoteague, a try sometime this spring as well. Good luck on your maiden voyage!
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #7

How about Gettysburg, or maybe Hershey? Both an easy drive from where you are, and they'll have something for all of you.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jagtec1,
Welcome to iRV2. I agree with the south central Pennsylvania suggestion. Add the Lancaster area and see the Amish attractions. There are many CGs in the area to choose from.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it your first time using it stay a few nights at the closest place to your home so you can see what you need and don't need and shake out some issues before you get to far away. A dry run will help you to enjoy your first real trip. Make some lists of what you need to pack and take with you.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
^^^ Very good advice. nothing wrong with driveway camping for one weekend to figure that out, or someplace nice but closeby.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
+3 on driveway camping the first time...
let's you learn the rv better, let's the kids have fun, and a disaster is not a disaster

make a list of what you need and don't need and have fun !
Old 02-19-2016, 06:35 PM   #12

Agree with finding a campground close to home for a weekend (or at least an overnight). I think driveway camping makes it too easy to finesse problems instead of dealing with them. You can start getting the routine of setting up and breaking camp that you would not in the driveway (just for example, would you notice that you don't have a sewer dump hose if you were driveway camping?)
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Echo the idea of staying local first few times out. For 3 months after we bought our MH, we spent one weekend a month at a campground about 30 min away. Forced us to deal with the learning curve in an "authentic" environment and our mistakes helped us refine our checklists. In case of serious problems, we knew we would have reliable resources available (like our rv mechanic). Fourth month we headed about 8 hours south for our first big outing. Couple months later we took a long trip halfway cross country to a NASCAR race (infield, woo-hoo! ). By then our comfort level was pretty high, and our knowledge level was decent (still learning!).

Looking back, I am astounded at what a leap in the dark we took. Our ignorance level was off the charts, and we had no clue...
Old 02-20-2016, 01:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtec1 View Post
+4 on the driveway camping concept. DW and I will do almost that with our new Jayco - our first camping outing will be in early May at a campground less than 5 miles from home, so we can check out all the systems, etc.

We live in Lancaster. I see others have suggested Lancaster, Hershey, etc. There are more campgrounds and attractions around here than you can shake a stick at, so come see us!

Roger