Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2019, 05:31 AM   #1

FL to Bar Harbor

Morning All,
We are leaving from SW FL early October and heading to Oceanside KOA in Bar Harbor Maine and have a few questions.

1: I would like to stop either in NY or NJ for a couple of days but cannot find a campground in with full hookups.

2: Most importantly, are there any roads to avoid with low bridges and/or low trees?

I recently stayed at the KOA in Boone NC. I followed my GPS and got stuck on a unpaved mountain road with pot holes and low trees. The pot holes were no problem for my 4x4 diesel Ram truck that I tow but for my Dutchstar, well; lets just say it did not work out well. I called the KOA and they new exactly where I was and helped me get out and back to the KOA. They said it happens many times a year and the State of NC DOT said they "cannot help it that people relies on a GPS". They said that when I inquired on why there are no signs directing people. I guess NC refuses to allow signs in that area for a reason which I forgot mostly due to being livid at the lack of signage and knowing others regularly get stuck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Enjoy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #2

We left Fl in early June and have been in Bar Harbor for the last 3 weeks. We stopped at
Asheville, then Gettysburg and then up to 1000 Islands before cutting over to Maine.
So , regarding your question about a stop in NJ/NY, when we go that way, we stop at Newburgh KOA. no issues with the roads getting to it.
PanJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #3

We are heading to Bar Harbor next week from Wilmington NC. I'm not a big fan of traveling on interstates especially I-95 ,so instead we are going up the Delmarva pennisula (US 13/113) to Lewes Delaware and then taking the ferry to Cape May for a 3 day stay. Nice KOA, I have stayed at before. Lots to do and see around the Cape May/ south Jersey shore area.
The Ferry to Cape May for our 23' motorhome is only about $20 more than the fuel and tolls to go around via the I-95/Delaware Memorial bridge(165 miles) and saves ~1 1/2 hours. From Cape May you can take the Garden State Parkway north

The KOA in Newburgh NY that PanJ mentioned is also a good KOA. Lots to do in that area also.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

Lenny/Shawna,
I hope you are aware that just about everything is closed up here by Columbus Day.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
We are heading to Bar Harbor next week from Wilmington NC. I'm not a big fan of traveling on interstates especially I-95 ,so instead we are going up the Delmarva pennisula (US 13/113) to Lewes Delaware and then taking the ferry to Cape May for a 3 day stay. Nice KOA, I have stayed at before. Lots to do and see around the Cape May/ south Jersey shore area.
The Ferry to Cape May for our 23' motorhome is only about $20 more than the fuel and tolls to go around via the I-95/Delaware Memorial bridge(165 miles) and saves ~1 1/2 hours. From Cape May you can take the Garden State Parkway north

The KOA in Newburgh NY that PanJ mentioned is also a good KOA. Lots to do in that area also.
Do you know the if the ferry can accommodate a 43 footer?
Old 07-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Lenny/Shawna,
I hope you are aware that just about everything is closed up here by Columbus Day.
I was not aware of that. We were told mid October is prime season for the fall leaves change.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #7

We are still in ME and left Bar Harbor on Sunday after spending a week at Bar Harbor Campground. Having never been before we did not know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised. We drove through the KOA you are speaking about and were not impressed. Very few sites that will fit your and my size coach and very busy foot and vehicle traffic around the park. Not what one would expect from a KOA, but KOA has gone down hill over the years in my opinion. I know that Bar Harbor Campground closes on Columbus Day, October 14th and would assume the other campgrounds will follow suit, but don’t know.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Do you know the if the ferry can accommodate a 43 footer?
Looks like $56-$63 plus driver and passengers

https://www.cmlf.com/rvs-long-vehicle-information
Old 07-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post

I'm interested in Staying at the Cape May KOA and the ferry will take my rv. However, I was told that no RV can go on parkways only expressways in NY. Does that apply to NJ?
Old 07-20-2019, 06:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
I was not aware of that. We were told mid October is prime season for the fall leaves change.
Many Stores,restaurants,etc will be closed by Columbus day. Even the KOA you referenced will close then. Narrows Too, where we are at, closes 10/21, so it's a week later.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #11

You can use the Garden State Parkway in NJ and the NY extension.

Stay off the NY parkways and the Palasades Parkway in NJ.

The Cape May ferry carries big rig trucks, so you will fit.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You can use the Garden State Parkway in NJ and the NY extension.

Stay off the NY parkways and the Palasades Parkway in NJ.

The Cape May ferry carries big rig trucks, so you will fit.
Thank you
Old 07-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Many Stores,restaurants,etc will be closed by Columbus day. Even the KOA you referenced will close then. Narrows Too, where we are at, closes 10/21, so it's a week later.
We are reserved from the 8th to the 15th. I wonder if we should maybe go a little earlier and leave a few days before everything closes. I Googled the "Narrows" and didn't really find anything out there with that name.

Thanks for your help
Old 07-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #14

The good thing in going late is there will be a lot less people. On the 5th of July, they said they had 35,000 people in the park !
If you can come earlier,I'd recommend it. There is so much to see, especially if you like to hike or ride a bike.
Here's the link to Narrows Too website.
https://www.rvonthego.com/maine/narr...tory%20Listing