Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #1

Fla Keys in May

How about camping in the Keys in May? Is this considered off season? Hows the weather (wind, bugs?). we have a new to us 2005 Beaver Patriot 40' w/tag axle. Love to hike and bike, snorkel / kayak too. Suggested campgrounds? Public campgrounds preferred. I checked online and private RV parks are $100+night in season, a little rich for us.

cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
How about camping in the Keys in May? Is this considered off season? Hows the weather (wind, bugs?). we have a new to us 2005 Beaver Patriot 40' w/tag axle. Love to hike and bike, snorkel / kayak too. Suggested campgrounds? Public campgrounds preferred. I checked online and private RV parks are $100+night in season, a little rich for us.

We just left the Keys after spending Sept & Oct. May is a 'shoulder" season and there should be plenty of availability. Bahia Honda is a nice state park with snorkeling/beach/boating. Nice campground. There is a Equity Lifestyles/Encore park at mile post 39 on Big Pine Key where you might fish around and get a special of some type. These guys have a booth at the Tampa Super Shop & often have deals.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #3

May is the tail end of the High Season, but an absolutely beautiful time to experience the Keys. That's the good news . . .

The bad news is that there is very little (like no) boon docking allowed anywhere in the keys that I am aware of. For the state parks, you need to reserve like a year out in order to get a reservation.

Knights Key Resort in Marathon is also closing in April, or May, so there goes 150 plus affordable sites in the Keys as well. They will be building a $1,500.00 a night all inclusive high end resort there. (out of our price range, even if I didn't want to stay in my RV!)

We stayed at Sunshine Key Resort in September for two weeks . . . . Utility problems, water was off several times due to broken lines, they don't enforce their own rules regarding campsite cleanliness and permanent residents accumulations of junk, expensive, but is a possibility if you can't get into the state parks.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We went to Blue Water Key in May. Great weather- bugs, yes. I don't think any month is low on bugs in south Florida! BWK is expensive, but worth every penny. IMO
Old 11-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #5

Blue water Key $150.00 per night in season +! May 1- $95.00 per night.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
Blue water Key $150.00 per night in season +! May 1- $95.00 per night.

Yep and worth every penny.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post

You might be a little late to book a public campground. I just checked the Florida State Park website https://www.floridastateparks.org/activity-list/Camping after clicking on a campground it opens to a page that has park descriptions and a link to reserve america where you check availability of spaces. In checking the state parks in the keys using random dates for a week stay in May 2016 they appear to be all booked however if you bring up the campground map and start with your first date and a one day stay you can find those open spaces between longer stays. You may have to move after a few days but at least your in the keys at a reasonable rate under $40.00/day. As they accept reservations 11 months in advance you might have to book in June for the following year if you want the same space for a week. Not all parks are full I booked in a park in Central Florida and found four spaces open but they are filling up fast.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We have been at Point of view RV Resort for a month..........we went through every RV park from Largo to Key West.........site #42 at Point of View is to die for.........our parrot...Otis, loved watching the sunset
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08926.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	111182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07690.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	111183  

Old 11-05-2015, 06:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
We have been at Point of view RV Resort for a month..........we went through every RV park from Largo to Key West.........site #42 at Point of View is to die for.........our parrot...Otis, loved watching the sunset

How's site #31 look ? We are there for a few nights in April on our way south
Old 11-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
May is the tail end of the High Season, but an absolutely beautiful time to experience the Keys. That's the good news . . .

The bad news is that there is very little (like no) boon docking allowed anywhere in the keys that I am aware of. For the state parks, you need to reserve like a year out in order to get a reservation.

Knights Key Resort in Marathon is also closing in April, or May, so there goes 150 plus affordable sites in the Keys as well. They will be building a $1,500.00 a night all inclusive high end resort there. (out of our price range, even if I didn't want to stay in my RV!)

We stayed at Sunshine Key Resort in September for two weeks . . . . Utility problems, water was off several times due to broken lines, they don't enforce their own rules regarding campsite cleanliness and permanent residents accumulations of junk, expensive, but is a possibility if you can't get into the state parks.
we have stayed at Knights Key a few times. How did you hear about the closing?
Old 11-06-2015, 05:49 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
How's site #31 look ? We are there for a few nights in April on our way south
We are on the road today..........I will see if I have a picture of that sire later today.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:02 AM   #12

As mentioned previously it is the shoulder season before school is out and after the snowbirds have left. I just made (2 weeks ago) reservations for 2 weeks at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park starting in late April. We may or may not go, but by the time we decide if we want to it will be too late to get reservations. During the Winter and Summer seasons the State Parks are full and reservations are filled each day the availability window opens!!
bobsea43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
we have stayed at Knights Key a few times. How did you hear about the closing?
We were there the last time in September. They had a community meeting in town to discuss it. Well, really to announce the decision. The sale went through, and at the time, the Knights Key Staff said they would be accepting reservations through either April or May. If you check their website under "News" they state now that the campground would remain open through Dec 31, 3016, but if you try to check availability in may, even for a tent spot, they show no availability in May for the random dates I selected. I've never seen the tent area full up, even in Jan/Feb. You could give them a call. Best to have it from the Horse's mouth, instead of from me, since I have occasionally been referred to as the Horse's . . . well, you get the idea! If you find out something different, please post it!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We own a rv lot on Cudjoe Key, which is near Key West, and we spent most of last May there. What we liked about May was that the water was really warm and the winds had died down so we could take our boat out to the reefs. The bad thing is that it's getting pretty warm and it sure wasn't as much fun in Key West when it was so hot. Our goal is to spend December thru May in the Keys, but family issues have curtailed us this year.

The rates definitely go down in the summer and there is plenty of availability until lobster season. We aren't sure we'll be able to use our lot this winter do to my Mom's health issues. PM me if you're interested.