Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #1

Flaming Gorge Area UT to Targhee NF Riverside CG (Idaho)?

I'm trying to sketch a route for our wanderings this summer. The advice for the San Juan River in NM was great and I'm hoping for similar advice about the Riverside CG in Idaho as well as advice on how to get there.

This is what I have in mind but we're open to suggestions with fly fishing in mind (for Gary). A bonus would be some really good horsey trail rides (for ME!!). It looks like we'll be in this area in early August which is not the best time but we'll have to suffer through.

After San Juan River, we'll head toward Moab via Cortez, CO then on to Dino Nat. Monument & Flaming Gorge. Has anyone stayed in the Green River CG in Dino Nat? We're thinking of Firefighters CG for the Flaming Gorge stay.

Eventually, we think we'll be in W. Yellowstone then Jackson WY area then off to Dubois, WY but all is subject to change. After last year's trip with no real plan, we realize the advantages of... no real plan!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #2

If this is the national forest campground you have in mind - in Island Park, Targhee national forest, here are photos of the sites:

Riverside Campground - Photos, Information, and Reviews

and here is Dow's National Forest campground site:

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/int....htm#riverside

We used both of these sites often with our 40' motorhome - thorough information and great to see site photos! Hope he's successful....your're doing a lot of planning for him.

Another area you might consider is the Salmon River around Stanley and eastward. Fantastic trout waters and many national forest campgrounds. Many of our travels were centered around fly fishing!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:37 AM   #3

Firefighter's Campground vs. Old Camper's World

Firefighter's campground is fine but has no utility connections. There is an RV campground just down the road that used to be operated by CamperWorld as a membership only place. It went bankrupt and I understand it is open to the public now under different ownership. I was a member of CamperWorld and it was my favorite park. I think it was called Pine Forest.
Grant Lasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Has anyone stayed in the Green River CG in Dino Nat?
Look at my profile picture, that's our coach last fall in Green River Campground. A very pleasant location, perhaps one of my favorites in recent time.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If this is the national forest campground you have in mind - in Island Park, Targhee national forest, here are photos of the sites:

Riverside Campground - Photos, Information, and Reviews

and here is Dow's National Forest campground site:

Targhee National Forest Campgrounds

We used both of these sites often with our 40' motorhome - thorough information and great to see site photos! Hope he's successful....your're doing a lot of planning for him.
I've looked at the pics of the sites! I just love that website. You have no idea of how much planning I have to do. All he says is that he wants to fish. He didn't say anything about catching so I think I'd be good if we were in a desert. There's nothing to say he can't fish there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Lasson View Post
Firefighter's campground is fine but has no utility connections. There is an RV campground just down the road that used to be operated by CamperWorld as a membership only place. It went bankrupt and I understand it is open to the public now under different ownership. I was a member of CamperWorld and it was my favorite park. I think it was called Pine Forest.
Thanks for the info on the other CG. I know it's going to be HOT and we might have to settle for hookups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
Look at my profile picture, that's our coach last fall in Green River Campground. A very pleasant location, perhaps one of my favorites in recent time.
WOW!! Looks like Green River CG is perfect for us. I worry about being there in August though especially with our pups. I guess we'll just "play it by ear" and stay in Vernal if it's too hot.

Are there opinions on our route from Rock Springs to W. Yellowstone? It doesn't look to be very challenging which is okay with us but I'd love to hear from those with experience.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote