Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to rrountree Send a message via Yahoo to rrountree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiamo View Post
New to RVing. First weekend was at KOA. Was packed and not real relaxing. Where can I find info on campsites that are a bit less jammed and maybe more upscale in Florida? Close to Tampa/St Pete. Thx
State parks are your best bet, but there are also a lot of little known county parks near Tampa/St. Pete that are definitely worth a look.

[moderator edit]

[moderator edit]

[moderator edit]

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to rrountree Send a message via Yahoo to rrountree
Sorry about the moderater deletions.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #17

Your starting off right. You don't get any better than FW. I second the state park idea for relaxation and communing with nature. My favorite is the little known Fisheating Creek on US 27 in Palmdale. Full hook ups 50 amp service and never crowded. It is far from anywhere so bring your own fun. I'll be there next week just sittin and readin and maybe walkin in the cypress woods. I like going to places where my biggest worry in wondering if its to early to start a beer.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You haven't listed what type of RV you have. If you have Class A motorhome you might wish to consider some time east of Ft Myers at RV Lots for Rent Southwest Florida. It's an upscale park.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
By checking his profile looks like he has a Winnebago Journey 34 footer.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #20

Yes, 34 journey. Just spent a couple days in siesta key at turtle beach rv park. Great spot. Quiet, right on beach.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Andiamo:

G'morning from the Silver Springs/Ocala area of Florida.

Ya know, since our son and his family live in the Tampa area, we'd frequently spend time there when wintering down South from our home state of S. Dakota. Over the years, however, although we loved the Keys, we'd never really fallen in love with Florida.....UNTIL....we discovered this Silver Springs area. Now the Tampa/St. Pete area is a VERY attractive area to spend time, but, our feeling about Florida in general was colored by the somewhat frenetic and costly environment in the Tampa area. It's kind of like an ant hill that been stirred up by a stick!

At any rate, we've now experienced this Silver Springs area, and I gotta tell ya, it's changed our opinion about Florida. THIS is the "old Florida" feeling we'd heard about, AND, there is SO MUCH TO SEE AN DO that it's unbelievable. Day trips to either East or West coasts are easy and simple when ya want beach time. Paddling a canoe, a kyak or relaxing on a pontoon boat on the variety of tree canopied, crystal clear rivers in the area is an experience ya won't forget (gators, monkeys, etc.). It's close to Orlando, Gainesville, The Villages, and a plethora of other quaint, "old Florida" communities (Mt. Dora, Micanopy, etc.) as well as fabulous parks like DeLeon, and Blue Springs where photographing manatees in the crystal clear river is phenomenal.

We still run down to Tampa to spend a day or a couple days with our son and family, but even that is an easy trip from here at our camp in Wilderness RV Resort, Silver Springs (a GREAT RV Park).

Ya might want to at least give this area a try....you too might fall in love with the place.

Steve & Lynette
Old 01-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
State and County Parks are best choice

Florida campgrounds can be very deceiving depending on what you are looking for. Most of the private campgrounds cater to the senior snow bird population. If you have kids you may want to avoid them during the winter months unless the kids are into shuffleboard or marjhan. During the summer months some of these private parks will have young family activities. Most private parks have narrow spaces kind of cramping the rigs close together. Usually there isn't much nature between sites and you won't feel you are out in the wild touching nature. However, our State Park and many county parks do just the opposite. They are dedicated to nature and open spaces and you get the feel of being out in the wild. However you sometimes have to give up some of the luxuries we have come accustomed to. Most sites are electric and water only with dump stations way down the road. You won't find cable TV, and most of the tree canopy might make satellite reception difficult. However it is my opinion that the reason I got into this RV camping is to get back to nature and appreciate more of an escape from the urban America. I still like my luxuries, so I have a portable satellite dish that I can just about place anywhere to get my signal. I carry a 32 gal dump tank that I can tow to the nearest dump station. It is really nice to kick back without your neighbor on top of you, but still able to say good morning or how was your day. Most sites are deep in woods, or on a lake or water feature and everyone is conscious of the nature they share and make it a point to leave things just the way they found it.
Check all of the Florida State Parks and check the county as well. Ft. Desoto is one of our favorite places, however we like to be on the water, so we plan 6 months in advance.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #23

You might look at Myakka State Park. We stayed a few days there this month. It was great! They have a newer part that is located closer to the entrance has full hooks ups with sewer. We were even able to get a pull through. large sites with a picnic table and a fire ring. You will want to bring your own wood or you can buy some from the camp store. It is a nature preserve so there are several walking trails with wildlife everywhere. You will also see alligators at the waterway in the park. Good thing it is only 9 miles from Sarasota and less than 20 minutes to Siesta Key beach. Tv reception was great but little phone service on AT&T. Happy Camping.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #24

Maybe this site will help ( http://wxtoad.com/index.asp?page=mainframe.htm ) we use it often. Good info and pictures.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #25

Thanks for the link to the website that really helps.