Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Florida for RVers

Johnny Cash once said, "I have been everywhere man". But, most RVers have not ...

So, I was thinking the other day ... Oh no, DW has that look that I know so well every time I get to thinking ... I told her, no really, I was thinking that RVers want to go and see places, but they don't much enjoy burning diesel just to get there ... So, I said to self, "Self, why not ask others at the irv2 forum for feedback before you start them engines ..."

So, what I'm looking to do is get feedback from others that are familiar with specific states to help snowbirds and sunbirds with their travels.

Since Florida seems to be a favorite place for many RVers ...

What parts of Florida do you recommend for other RVers? ... What parts would you put in the category of not worth the diesel needed to get there?

I think, in time, we could build a database from threads like this for each state in the US, places in Canada, Alaska, etc.

DW says

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #2

Go to Key West where drinking in public is Verboten but drunk in public isn't. We were there last year and a guy came to a stop on a bike but did'nt put his feet down. Pretty Funny!

Old 04-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want beaches, anywhere between Mobile Bay and Mexico Beach. You don't need to camp beachside, public access is abundant.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #4

My recommendation is to go south on I-95 to Key West then north up I-75. Maybe make a left when you get to I-10 & check out the panhandle also.

First two stops I would recommend heading south would be Old St Augustine & Ft San Marcos. Even if remotely a race fan Daytona Speedway.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 PM   #5

What one person wants to see, may be what another wants to avoid.
Example; Someone may tolerate the crowds and traffic around Orlando to entertain the younger members of their family. I personally, avoid Orlando and I4 at almost every opportunity. I enjoy quiet and like fishing and less crowded smaller towns like Steinahachee and Cedar Key. Both are fishing villages with a few restaurants and are out of the way.

I used to like the beaches and sun when I didn't work in it so much. Now I'd rather explore the shaded roads in the Ocala National Forrest in my 4x4.

Lets add a description of why to go or not go. I'll start with the towns I put down, GO if you don't like crowds, you like fishing (guides and boat rentals available at both), you like seafood. History abounds in both towns and can be fun to explore. Do not go if you are into staying free of insect bites, you like night life, there are no beaches at Steinahachee, and a small 200' beach on the bay in Cedar Key.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #6
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
As far as I am concerned, FL is a gift to humanity, especially in the winter months. It has its issues like anywhere else, but nothing gets my batteries recharged like a week or two trip to FL following the Christmas season. For warmth, anywhere south of Tampa will do. And for us, ANYWHERE is the key word.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #7

St George Island and Appalaicola are great get away spots.

The Don Gartlis Museum is a must stop for gear heads.

I love the beach at Ft Lauderdale. They use small boats like buses - a great way to get around and sightsee at the same time.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:18 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, don't have to burn diesel but gas prices are high enough. We are in Central FL and inland. (Zephyrhills) Works for us and we enjoy our time here.

Heck our neighbors here have a 10 Zephyr with 14K miles on it. Just learned they traded it on a new 14 model and get her next week. He has always said "it doesn't move unless he gets paid to move it". Don't know what sense that makes but I guess if you think you need a new one to just sit around as well, more power to ya.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Not sure how technical savvy some of you are as far as smart phones go, but I'm a florida resident and there's a florida parks app available on iTunes. I have an iPad and have android phone, two separate networks and not sure if phone has it. But it's something worth checking out if you can. Might help point you in the right direction. We are new to the TT world and have made the Orlando trip in it. I'm no newbie to Orlando traffic. We live in jacksonville, but have annual passes to disney for past 6+ years so we have made hundreds of Orlando trips? BUT! I will say this, our first TT trip there, the traffic was bad, but when we got to our park, which was right outside Walt disney world, in the middle of everything, was one of the most peaceful and relaxing times of our lives. We knew at that point that we were going to be long term TT folk. So that's just food for thought when it comes to TT life and Orlando traffic. Yes it's going to be a pain in the neck getting to it, but once you get there, it's going to be just as relaxing and quiet as some, I only said some, other campgrounds you may have been to. It's still an rv park and still has rv people. And we all know how they are. Quiet and fantastic.

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 4x4
2013 Coleman 15bh 18'
1999 Ranger R91i w/yamaha 200
normgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #10

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Campgrounds

Here is another irv2 thread on CGs in FL:

Winter, Florida / South
Old 05-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #11

humm not a good one for me as i have lived most of my life here in FL

i cant see blowing the gas to go to the keys when you can all most see the same thing at any cruse for the same price as gas to get there

most just come here for the hot sun and to get away from the cold so if you stayed in north FL you can find any RV parks for 200 to 350$ a month with every thing

yeah i know thats the way we make money down here

but i have a RV to see things that are not man made and truth be told . if its not the beach here your seeing then its man made

but thats coming form the guy thats lived in the sun all my life and want to get out to see snow
Old 05-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
but i have a RV to see things that are not man made and truth be told . if its not the beach here your seeing then its man made
Also a Florida native and must disagree. Florida has miles of roads through beautiful wilderness. The roads may be man made, but Mother Nature made the rest.
Have you ever visited a spring here in Florida? Floated down the Ichetucknee? It is a spring fed river that is as natural as it was 250 years ago. Only 1 privately owned property along the State park section, and most don't know where it is as the owner doesn't want floaters coming on his property.

Granted, man has made a mark on most of Florida, but to see the natural stuff, you have to be able to get there by roads. Boats are the other way and most people don't want to go that far in a boat without seeing a marina on the river.

NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida