Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webman9113 View Post
You might want to check out the RV camping at Florida's state parks.
The only problem with this, otherwise, great suggestion (there are some very nice state parks in Florida) is, you'll never get in.

Want a Florida state park reservation for peak season? You should have been online making it a few months ago. If I remember correctly, reservations can be made 11 months in advance. For the most premium sites you'd better be on-line at 12:01 AM that morning or...

You may have better luck if camping in a small TT or popup.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 09:19 AM   #16

We have already made our reservation at a FL state park for March 2017 when we visit family. And we could not get the site we wanted either.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #17

I don't think they are gouging us or anything, as others have stated try finding a hotel for $100 a night in the Keys. They have a few months for peak season where they need to make a bulk of their money. I would expect property taxes are high, insurance (hurricane. Liability etc) would also be high. I highly doubt they are getting rich off those places.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
And let me add that one, if not two, RV resorts in the Keys are closing late this year, so the others will raise their rates, too. All supply and demand. In the case of Knights Key closing, it's because the land is more valuable sold to a developer, I think for a high end hotel.
KK will be open as a CG next winter season. They did jack up the prices though. We have been going there for 12 years and the closing is heartbreaking for us. We left last season to stay at a very small park that was about $2300 a month. You get what you pay for and what you pay for in the Keys in location, location, location. Going back to KK next fall, even if it's the last hurrah.

The "developer" may have bit off more than he can chew with the place though. There seems to be permit problems that "donations" could not overcome. That is the rumor anyway.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
They are high, but apparently, not as high as they will be. They are all full in the season, and developers are buying the land underneath campgrounds to build permanent structures.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
We're hearing you! We stayed in Sunshine Key Resort for the three months of winter. Ridiculous pricing and they're raising their rates for a truly substandard park. We're going somewhere else next year.

I agree, too expensive, for a substandard park. Area is nice, but park doesn't enforce their rules, doesn't collect garbage regularly, streets flood and pool water REALLY bad when it rains, laundromat prices are ridiculous (friend used the laundromat, we have a washer/dryer in the coach). But with Knights Key going away, they can price whatever they want, and will still fill up!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Whatever the market is willing to pay. That is why Florida will never be in our travel plans. Millionaires playground... Common folks not invited...
Rubbish. Expand your horizons just a hair. If you're serious about Florida, take a little time and check out areas NORTH of Tampa. So you might see some frost on the ground when you wake up in February. By noon it will be 70 most days. Beats the heck out of shoveling snow. Central locations to be had within easy drive time to about all the tourist traps, and very reasonably priced.

You want prime conditions, plan on paying for it. There's no free rides anywhere.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
The only problem with this, otherwise, great suggestion (there are some very nice state parks in Florida) is, you'll never get in.

Want a Florida state park reservation for peak season? You should have been online making it a few months ago. If I remember correctly, reservations can be made 11 months in advance. For the most premium sites you'd better be on-line at 12:01 AM that morning or...

You may have better luck if camping in a small TT or popup.

The biggest problem as I see it is that Florida State Parks need a draconian cancellation policy. As it is I know folks who reserve 2 or three parks for the same time period using different names/credit card #'s because they don't know where they want to stay. Then they cancel the ones they don't use. . . . So the reservations show as full, but open up late. One of the rangers I spoke to said last minute cancellations were a big problem, and that they often have spots available to drop-in's, but I'm not willing to drive to the Keys unless I have a reservation.

If they charged a substantial cancellation fee, they would go a long way to stopping that crap.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
KK will be open as a CG next winter season. They did jack up the prices though. We have been going there for 12 years and the closing is heartbreaking for us. We left last season to stay at a very small park that was about $2300 a month. You get what you pay for and what you pay for in the Keys in location, location, location. Going back to KK next fall, even if it's the last hurrah.

The "developer" may have bit off more than he can chew with the place though. There seems to be permit problems that "donations" could not overcome. That is the rumor anyway.

Even though he picked up the tab for a bunch of renovations to the local city buildings, like new windows, etc . . .just out of the goodness of his heart I suppose . . . . and he STILL can't get those permits?!? Darn it, I just HATE it when elected officials can't stay . . . . Well, that "those donations" were made to!
Old 04-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #24

I was buying firewood at Ft Clinch SP last winter. The ranger was on the phone telling someone they were full. He hung up the phone, took my money for the wood and while I was still standing there someone drove up with a tt asking if there were any sites and the ranger said"sure, we have a beachfront site available". So I guess the usually do have empties due to cancellations, but won't confirm it on the phone.

I remember trying to get reservations at Bahia Honda near Key west long ago before reserve America did online. You had to start calling the Rangers office the minute it opened 11 months ahead of time and hope to not get a busy signal. Now, like another poster says, you reserve several different sites at the same time months in advance and cancel the ones you don't want just before you take off. I think you only get penalized one nights stay, which is around $30.

We just went to blue water key near key west a few weeks ago, $130/night for a waterfront. And you still need to reserve a year in advance during peak season!
Old 04-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #25

We found the RV campgrounds to be more crowded than last year. We had to work harder to get spots this year than last. Also found prices were up. We decided to buy a lot in Zephyrhills. Less than an hour to beach and we are not beach people so works for us. Close enough to Tampa if we need something from the big city.

Nice small town and nice people. Fits our winter needs. It was less stressful than calling around looking for a place like we did this year. Gives us our home base and we can arrange our schedule to visit more of Florida when spaces are available and return "home".
Old 04-27-2016, 04:45 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Even though he picked up the tab for a bunch of renovations to the local city buildings, like new windows, etc . . .just out of the goodness of his heart I suppose . . . . and he STILL can't get those permits?!? Darn it, I just HATE it when elected officials can't stay . . . . Well, that "those donations" were made to!
Another rumor. He had a permit to do "some tree trimming". We saw about 500' of mangroves trimmed to 5' height. Some so far out into the water they needed a large crane to reach out that far. Some of the "trimmings" were 12" thick logs. Sites were blocked from reservations and campers asked to move during peak winter season to get to this emergency.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
We read that Collier County won't allow any new RV parks. A lot more tax money comes in from developed condo-type properties. So, if what we read is correct, then nothing new around Naples to Marco Island. Sales prices at the resort we stay at are listing for more this year than last. Still a lot less expensive than a rental condo and we get to sleep in our own bed.

Florida isn't for everyone but it is great for us since we only have 3-4 weeks in winter to get away and don't want to spend it on travel time.
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #28

RV park pricing

Just booked at W. Yellowstone - yowsers! Even in CA and across other areas of the US (except NY), nice spots are generally in the $50 range. W. Yellowstone was $80/nite. Guess it's not only location but time of the year. Glad I booked last night however - last pull-in slot available for our dates.
rubygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida