Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
Florida : getting awful pricey along the gulf coast and the keys !!!

Just heading back north from the winter in florida, and wondering if other folks doing this are tired of being overcharged for accommodations , that are near sub-standard , and grossly overpriced for what you get along the gulf coast from tampa south to key west ? Where are the entrepreneurs , that are willing to invest in quality r v parks , and then charge a reasonable rate for their offerings ? It sure seems as though there are enough RV ers to make it a good investment .....

Just venting --Its nice to be able to see the ocean and be somewhat close to a decent beach , but Shheesh , its getting unaffordable ....

harleydawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
RV park prices appear to be one of those products that follow market pricing "rules" - and seem as though they're pegged to be 30% - 40% of whatever the going nightly rate of what I'd consider a "mid-grade" hotel (i.e., Holiday Inn Express, Fairfield Inn, etc.) goes for in the area.

As the guy in one of those Liam Neeson "Taken" movies said: "Da price is da price". If you want to spend time in popular areas ... you're gonna pay "popular area" pricing to do it.

2012 HR Endeavor 43' DFT, 2012 Jeep Liberty
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I guess it's all in what you want or need. The beach isn't that important to us. Sure it's nice to see but daily???? I don't think so. We're inland between Tampa and Lakeland and it's just fine in our park. Without a doubt the nicest in the area. It's owner owned and the rent is more than affordable. If we need to have some sand and a beach view it's about 45 minutes to an hour away but really a day of it is more then enough to satisfy us. This is our 6th year down and unfortunately due to some family commitment we will not be able to return next year. Hope you can find something that is more affordable for you. Good Luck.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
We're hearing you! We stayed in Sunshine Key Resort for the three months of winter. Ridiculous pricing and they're raising their rates for a truly substandard park. We're going somewhere else next year.
2014 XLR 415AMP, 2011 F350 6.7 DRW, restored 82 Wing, 02 Shadow, 06 ST1300A, NRA Benefactors.
dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
Well, I live in SWFL and I don't pay for long term camping here, but it's apparent to me that resort owners are pricing their services according to the market. Snowbirds are valuable visitors and I like their presence because they support much of the tourist industry and help keep my taxes lower.

I don't know for a fact but I suspect that RV'ers as a group have a wee bit more discretionary money to spend than many other Americans. When I was picking up my new FW I felt a bit like I was at the bottom of the pack based on the number of $350,000 plus Class As that were rolling out the door, and we're not poor by most measures. I see a comparison between RVs and boats. A question often asked by prospective boaters, is "how much is it going to cost to dock this boat?" If you have to ask that question, you can't afford the boat.

When we hit the road we try to stay at state, county or city parks first, then reasonably priced CGs or resorts. We like to go the FL Keys and we would consider staying at Blue Water Key, a beautiful place, but at a $150 or more a night, it ain't gonna happen frequently LOL.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
Entegra Owners Club
The cost of land in the coastal areas makes a new RV park prohibitive to build. If a new one were to be built, the pricing would have to be very high. You are competiting with high rise condos, etc. for this very valuable land. In South Florida it is not uncommon for new high rise condos to sell for a million dollars and up. This is who we are competing with for this very desireable space. As a realtor once told me, "Paradise isn't cheap". That goes for RVers just like everybody else.
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #7
Originally Posted by dwhit View Post
We're hearing you! We stayed in Sunshine Key Resort for the three months of winter. Ridiculous pricing and they're raising their rates for a truly substandard park. We're going somewhere else next year.
And let me add that one, if not two, RV resorts in the Keys are closing late this year, so the others will raise their rates, too. All supply and demand. In the case of Knights Key closing, it's because the land is more valuable sold to a developer, I think for a high end hotel.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
Freightliner Owners Club
After staying for 8 seasons at the Sugarloaf Key KOA, we bought a house in Big Pine Key on the water with plenty of room for our RV.

Signs along the Overseas Highway warn that it is $100 fine for illegal camping. Considering a campsite is more that $100, the fine is quite a good deal!

But don't despair, room rates in Key West are easily over $300 a night.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #9
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Whatever the market is willing to pay. That is why Florida will never be in our travel plans. Millionaires playground... Common folks not invited...
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Superslif,
"Millionaires playground... Common folks not invited" I don't think so. I'm one of those common folk. I live and paly in South Florida including the Keys. It comes down to how one budgets and how one wants to spend their money. And I'm no millionaire.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:27 AM   #11
Damon Owners Club
Do NOT forget to buy your T -shirt before you go home. Tourism is all we got!!
Mark & Shana Miller
2008 Tuscany 4072 DP
Go Gators
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
Where are the entrepreneurs , that are willing to invest in quality r v parks
Next time you are in a Florida area that you think needs a reasonable priced campground.
Just pop into a real estate office and ask what is the price per acre on any available land that could be used to build a campground.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:16 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As the baby boomers retire and we get farther from the '08 "crash", the demand is increasing dramatically. Add the increasing demand to the value of any property anywhere near the water and there you go - more customers than resources, prices rise to level the two out.

We've wintered in the same park, central Florida, for the last four seasons now, buying a lot two seasons ago. A couple of years ago I recognized that we were starting to see an increase in demand and prices and took advantage of what I think was a good deal. At least half of the friends we've made there have historically rented but are now finding available sites becoming more and more difficult to find. Four years ago I'd guess 20% of the sites were empty during the high season months, this past year it was hard to find an empty lot. I think you will see new parks developed, or existing parks upgraded, but unlikely on or very near the water.

You can still rent sites in nice parks for under a $1,000 per month, much less if aesthetics and amenities are not as important to you, but it won't be anywhere near the water, or likely any part of southern Florida for that matter, where monthly rents can start at $2500 per month and rise from there.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:35 AM   #14
You might want to check out the RV camping at Florida's state parks. We live in Sarasota, which is close to Myakka State Park. While we haven't stayed at their campground, we've been to the park and seen it close up: it's quite nice, and $26/night, even in peak season. It's not exactly on the beach, but it's an easy drive (20-30 minutes) to Siesta Key.

Another example is Three Rivers State Park, where we stayed while on one of our trips. I believe the site we had was electric and water only (although I believe there was a dump station close by), but it was a beautiful location and is only $16 a night.

To be honest, I think I'm going to try and find more state parks to stay in during out trips. Their prices are usually about half (or less) of what you pay at commercial parks, and I suspect that in many cases the facilities are about as nice. The one big downside is that many don't have full hookups, or only a very limited number.

You can click here to visit the Florida state parks campground web site for more info.

2014.5 Challenger 37KT + 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Webman9113 is offline   Reply With Quote