Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Look at the west side of Florida - Cedar Key area.

Cedar Key is a great area. We've been there a couple of times.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Thanks, I didn't realize the $2.50 a night was the Monroe County charge. Looking at the FL state park website, it appears that Monroe County is the only county in FL that does that. On a reservation detail print out from Reserve America it just shows $38.50 camping fee per night (without a breakdown) Here is a copy of a fee printout for a 4 night stay I have for the end of this month at John Pennekamp. This will be my 101st time staying there.
  • Camping Fee:$154.00
  • Discounts:$(72.00)
    FL Senior Resident$(72.00)
  • Reservation Fee:$6.70
  • Taxes:$9.00
  • Total:$97.70
Yeah, while the info is on the reserveamerica website, you have to seek it, as it does not separated in the fee printout. The keys are clearly worth the fee to many people, including you. Have a great time (again).
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:22 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
OK, I appears that I am wrong on the senior rates for State Parks in Florida. If you are a Florida resident, age 65 or over, you get a 50% discount for camping at State Parks.

If you are camping in a Florida State Forest at a campground that has water and electric hookups, the rate changed on April 16, 2016. If you are a Florida senior over 65, 100% disabled, HD Veteran, you are entitled to a $10 discount from the published rate of $25 per night. Actually it says specifically, $15.

The rate fees can be found here: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/cont..._4-14-2016.pdf

I apologize for the confusion and I'm glad I just learned something today. .

We often use some of the Forest land camping areas on the west coast of FL and I didn't realize that rates varied between forest lands and State Park lands. For my first 1-1/2 years after turning 65, I always got a 50% discount at those campsites and was disappointed to see the rate go up.

EDIT: one quick notation on the State Forest camping senior discount.... it appears that for State Forests only, they have removed the requirement that you be a Florida only senior. I noticed the Florida designation was removed when I was at Silver Lake a few weeks ago.
Thanks for clearing that up. It makes me feel much better

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #46

Supply and demand ! When you have all the snow birds here lined up, and fighting for sunshine and warmth, from Nov to April prices will reflect that !

Snow bird traffic with them driving slow to see things, and driving slow because of being unsure of where to go can be painful!

A million RVers can't flood an area and expect peace and solitude.....LOL !
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:52 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
Supply and demand ! When you have all the snow birds here lined up, and fighting for sunshine and warmth, from Nov to April prices will reflect that !

Snow bird traffic with them driving slow to see things, and driving slow because of being unsure of where to go can be painful!

A million RVers can't flood an area and expect peace and solitude.....LOL !

Yeah, but those snowbirds inject a ton of money into our Florida economy! [emoji106][emoji4]
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #48
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
We've just come from Texas and have been enjoying the HarvestHosts (free), boondocking, and cheap camping in Fredericksburg and Corpus Christie/Padre Island. I'm pretty sure the County park at Padre would have let us stay as long as we wanted, it was at like 20% capacity.

Likewise - cheap state park camping in New Orleans $21/n, no big deal to get in at the last minute, LOADS of open spots.

Then we come to Florida.....

The prices are insane! if you can get a spot!
I wanted to go stay in the Florida Keys, cost be damned, for a long weekend with friends late this month. I've never been and might as well do it right. Looking like $150-190 a NIGHT. OK maybe cost does matter.....

Looks like there are some smaller state parks, but all booked out until this summer. How do you do it!? Any advise? I really just want to park on the beach and watch the sunset after work every day... Should I just skip Florida altogether and keep heading up to Georgia?
There is plenty availability in the summer and many campgrounds have Passport America rates which make camping very reasonable.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Yeah, but those snowbirds inject a ton of money into our Florida economy! [emoji106][emoji4]
South Texas is doubly blessed Winter Texans from the north, Mexican nationals from the south. All spending $$$$
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida