Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post

There will come a day when the Keys are gated off at Key Largo and only the wealthy and their servants may pass.
And the day workers/laborers will be bused in from the mainland (as some are now I believe).

There is a new campground in Key Largo. I' don't know if it has opened yet and I can't remember the name. The sign out front says it's a luxury campground, which seems pretty ridiculous as you can see the whole small, barren, totally cleared area from U.S. 1. It might have 20-30 sites with nothing (as of a couple of weeks ago) between them. I imagine the only thing "luxury" about this place will be the price.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #44

FWIW Interstate 75 is Alligator Alley. US41 is the Tamiami Trail. The trail goes into Miami. Alligator Alley goes to Fort Lauderdale and is a toll road.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #45

keys

I know I 75 is called alligator alley but i thought i read where you see more gators on Tamiami trail. is this wrong?
Old 07-03-2016, 03:33 PM   #46

You are likely to see gators in any body of freshwater anywhere in South Florida. Many years ago they used to come up the bank in my backyard to sun themselves. If you look, you will see them. Go into Everglades National Park and you'll see hundreds.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #47
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
And the day workers/laborers will be bused in from the mainland (as some are now I believe).

There is a new campground in Key Largo. I' don't know if it has opened yet and I can't remember the name. The sign out front says it's a luxury campground, which seems pretty ridiculous as you can see the whole small, barren, totally cleared area from U.S. 1. It might have 20-30 sites with nothing (as of a couple of weeks ago) between them. I imagine the only thing "luxury" about this place will be the price.

www.keyspalmrvresort.com

Jeff
Old 07-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
That's the one.
There is a long way to go from the current state, to the artist rendering, of what it will look like.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post

FWIW Interstate 75 is Alligator Alley. US41 is the Tamiami Trail. The trail goes into Miami. Alligator Alley goes to Fort Lauderdale and is a toll road.
Yep, I stand corrected in that the portion of I-75 that travels from one side of Florida to the other IS the official Gator Alley but don't count on seeing any or for that matter you will be lucky to see one.

Route 41 or Tamiami Trail parallels the I-75 four lane freeway further south and it's a two lane road with waterways on both sides of the road which are FILLED with gators.

If you want to observe hundreds of gators while going or coming from the keys then that's the route you should take. Trust me you will be VERY disappointed if you take I-75 and expect to see a any significant amount of gators.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #50

gators

thanks DR4,

Also whats the best way to keep from getting bit from all the no c ems? my wife has a terrible time with skeeters also.

We are t minus 2 months and counting
Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
thanks DR4,

Also whats the best way to keep from getting bit from all the no c ems? my wife has a terrible time with skeeters also.........
We haven't noticed no see ums in the Keys during the winter months. Skeeters can be around any time. You need to experiment to find the best deet-based but skin friendly spray or lotion that the DW can tolerate.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #52

Florida Keys question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
We haven't noticed no see ums in the Keys during the winter months. Skeeters can be around any time. You need to experiment to find the best deet-based but skin friendly spray or lotion that the DW can tolerate.

We have been spending Oct in the Keys for several years now and haven't found bugs to be much of a problem. If you get into heavy foliage in the state parks they may be worse. I agree that a Deet based product should be adequate when needed.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #53

Usually there is enough breeze to keep them away, but if not, Skin So Soft, a deet spray and citronella candles will help to keep them at bay.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #54

We have wintered in the Keys for 5 years and rarely encounters bugs.

Most times it is near the shoreline mangroves, around sundown.

Since we're out on a moored boat, we have noticed a few, when the wind is dead calm, but most boaters don't even use screens down there.

Although it's a sensitive environmental area, with all sorts of rules and protections, they have a mosquito control authority that does a good job. They're not on the protected list.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
thanks DR4,

Also whats the best way to keep from getting bit from all the no c ems? my wife has a terrible time with skeeters also.

We are t minus 2 months and counting
We have encountered the no see ums a couple of times. Always when near dense mangroves and little wind. They like to come out about dusk. The best defense is a large fan. A box type or larger. If they can't fly toward you, they can't bite. Not bad to keep you cool if it's hot too.

If you are in Marathon or passing through there is a True Value called Specialty Hardware that sells repellent that is supposed to work on them. Some people swear by it.
10730 OVERSEAS HWY, Marathon, FL 33050-3453 305-743-3382
It's Gulf side near the old Walgreens.
HD4Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #56

hd4matk

good info we are staying at bluewater rv. Please any more info on the keys is great. Info on fishing? boat, waverunner renatls. good eats and things we must see. evening dinner or wine sunset cruise?

Tags
florida