Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Florida Keys question

Making our first trip to the keys this summer. We plan to be in town for close to a week. Should we head straight for Key West and set up shop or stay in a more centralized area such as Marathon?
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We went to Key West once and we stayed in a state Park part way down. If I were to be spending most of my time at the tip, actually in town, I would stay down there. I got tired of driving back and forth even in the toad.
Billfish636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

It depends on your preference. If you want to play in the water staying somewhere on the way would be better. If you want to explore key west every day I would try to get closer. One thing I can suggest is to call ahead for reservations. Do not head out onto the keys without a plan. Parking is limited everywhere. Most state parks are booked months in advance.

I just got back from Long Key State Park. Great site on the water. But I booked it last fall and was lucky to get what I did.
Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm4 View Post
Making our first trip to the keys this summer. We plan to be in town for close to a week. Should we head straight for Key West and set up shop or stay in a more centralized area such as Marathon?

Depends on what you want to see & do. Boyd's campground on Stock Island is close to KW. I can do KW in two or three days. Walk around on Deval St. See Hemingways house & Trumans summer White House. Go to Sloppy Joes & see the sunset at Mallery Sq.

Then stay in the Marathon area & go to Bahia Honda State Park for snorkeling. Sparky's Landing for 35 cent shrimp at happy hour. See the Key Deer on Big Pine Key at sunset.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Key West

Hi, neighbor. How's things on the west shore of the Susquehanna? You don't say if you are taking a towed. Key West is no place to drive around in a 30 some footer MH. I go to the Keys every winter for two to three months. Really like it there. Boyds is the closest park for KW. But, very tight! I've had my 42 in there but requires a shoe horn! More spacious parks about 15 to 25 miles north. Sunshine Key below Marathon is great. Venture Out RV Resort around MM25 is nice. Stay up there and take the toad to KW when you want. There is also a shuttle up and down the Keys, but stops at every corner! Like was said, KW will wear you out in about two days! Good Luck and Have Fun!
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
X2 on Sparky's Landing

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertman View Post
Hi, neighbor. How's things on the west shore of the Susquehanna? You don't say if you are taking a towed. Key West is no place to drive around in a 30 some footer MH. I go to the Keys every winter for two to three months. Really like it there. Boyds is the closest park for KW. But, very tight! I've had my 42 in there but requires a shoe horn! More spacious parks about 15 to 25 miles north. Sunshine Key below Marathon is great. Venture Out RV Resort around MM25 is nice. Stay up there and take the toad to KW when you want. There is also a shuttle up and down the Keys, but stops at every corner! Like was said, KW will wear you out in about two days! Good Luck and Have Fun!
All is well on this side.

Yes, we will have our toad along for the trip. We were thinking of staying at Blue Water Key. Have you ever been there?

We go to Florida a lot in the winter, but are always on the Gulf side in the Naples / Marco area. We have never made the trip to the keys. yet.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Florida Keys question

Sunshine Key RV Resort has a great bar and grill walking distance next door, Sunset Grill and Raw Bar. Good food and happy hour with a great pool. I haven't stayed at any of these parks but did spend sometime last Dec. checking some out for possible future stays.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-12-2016, 07:34 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
We just got back, we stayed at blue water key for a week, it was secure and very quiet, we had a Teke hut on our site which was nice, there is no pool or hot tub but it is close to key west. We also stayed at the jolly Roger rv park which we enjoyed very much, they have a pool that was clean and well kept, if you decide on jolly Roger get a site within three rows from the water, the sites near the road are too commercial. we also stayed one night at the first state park on the keys I forgot the name of it, I won't stay there again not very well kept or controlled. Hope this helps.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
We just got back, we stayed at blue water key for a week, it was secure and very quiet, we had a Teke hut on our site which was nice, there is no pool or hot tub but it is close to key west. We also stayed at the jolly Roger rv park which we enjoyed very much, they have a pool that was clean and well kept, if you decide on jolly Roger get a site within three rows from the water, the sites near the road are too commercial. we also stayed one night at the first state park on the keys I forgot the name of it, I won't stay there again not very well kept or controlled. Hope this helps.
Mrfix
There is indeed a pool at Bluewater.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #11

bluewater rv

Dont scare me like that we leave for bluewater in september and look forward to the pool.
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are currently is Disney and leaving for the Keys on Tuesday morning.

Is it best to take I-4 back to 95 South or take the Turnpike?
Old 06-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #13
Community Administrator

If you don't mind paying the tolls ,the tpke is the way to go.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #14

Agree, Turnpike, tolls are not bad. Take it all the way to the end.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida