Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

Thumbs down Florida State Parks

Has anyone out there had much or any luck getting a reservation at one of the parks? Especially in the Keys. I want to spend the winter there but Reserve America is always full out to 11 months. Is there a secret to this? thanks Wayne

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Call the park direct. When Texas used RA I could check 50 parks at random times and they would show full, call the park and they were almost empty. Texas now uses their own system and its great.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #3

You do know that the max stay in a Florida SP is 14 days. If the keys is your winter venue, you'll need to check out the private parks, and most likely this late in the year, most are booked, but good luck.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne-43 View Post
Has anyone out there had much or any luck getting a reservation at one of the parks? Especially in the Keys. I want to spend the winter there but Reserve America is always full out to 11 months. Is there a secret to this? thanks Wayne
The SP's in the Keys are very busy. The last time I checked, they opened up the reservations for a site 11 months in advance. To have a good chance of reserving a site for more than a day or two, you have to be logged on exactly 11 months to the day ahead of when you want to go. Occasionally, we have been lucky calling and getting a site that has been canceled, but that is rare.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #5

Having lived in FL all my life, the state parks in the Keys are the hardest to get into. On Reserve America I get online at midnight when the dates are released to get a spot. Since they open up 11 months out- that is when I get on line - even then I am not quick enough always to get any of the top 2-3 spots I want.
Love the keys, but now we are moving to Georgia so not sure when I'll get there again!
Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to pemsit
Free or almost free campsites

Free Campgrounds for RVs
Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #7

You need to try private park. and it will be tough now. We reserve a year ahead. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
paz

The reason Florida State Parks in the Keys are so popular is, not only are they nice, but they only charge something like $25 a night. Most private campgrounds in the Keys start around $70 for a site that is much smaller.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Getting a reservation in a popular Fl state park during Jan Feb March and sometimes April is a matter of computer skill. You have to make a res 11 months to the minute or second ahead of time if there is a certain site you are looking for, there are hundreds of campers trying to do the same thing. There are cancellations you need to go on line frequently and keep checking.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
good luck we tried last year internet wasn't fast enough.don't know the secrect.but when u find out let us know.
safe travels bob,linda& missy
Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
Getting a reservation in a popular Fl state park during Jan Feb March and sometimes April is a matter of computer skill. You have to make a res 11 months to the minute or second ahead of time if there is a certain site you are looking for, there are hundreds of campers trying to do the same thing. There are cancellations you need to go on line frequently and keep checking.
It is usually easier to get a Snowbird Season reservation for a campsite in a FL SP if you look north of a line roughly from Tampa/Orlando/Melbourne.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
What the others said. Getting a reservation at a FL State Park in the Keys in winter takes a combo of luck and magic. Most people book 11 months in advance and things get booked up FAST. The only thing you can do is hope for a cancellation & check often, but even then often there are groups of people who rotate bookings w/ their friends (i.e. the moment they cancel, their friends book).

You will have MUCH better luck north of the Keys. We wintered at Markham Park just ~30 mins north of Miami and were able to get 2 months there (search my blog if you want pics of the place). Also, plenty of State Parks north of the Keys will have more space.

No matter what you do book early! FL gets filled fast in winter.

Tags
florida