Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #15

Just came down from Anch thru Sweetgrass. Road is dry all the way. Normal frost heaves only one really bad N bound about 30 miles S of Beaver Creek. Not much snow anywhere mostly in shaded areas off the rd. Only construction Laird area.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2017, 10:07 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Only construction Laird area
When we were in the Liard Hot Springs last year mid June there was major road rebuilding just east of Liard. So must be the same project as last year.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:56 AM   #17
RV LIFE Support Team

I'd move the doctor appt. the sooner you can start, the better. It is a long trip and you really want to spend as much time in AK, BC as you can. So much to see and do.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I'd move the doctor appt. the sooner you can start, the better.
I'd love to.... originally it was in June and I moved it to May 26th. Doctor would not see me any earlier as it is a cancer checkup. Wish I could.....

Patsy

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #19
RV LIFE Support Team

Tell him you want to go to Alaska and would really like to leave as early as possible. I find most docs very sympathetic to travel(I think they are jealous). Tell him it is good for your mental health................

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am envious of your trip. Made it twice in a large SUV. Been RVing for a couple of years and seriously want to take the trip in our coach. Only word that I can use to describe the trip is MAGNIFICENT. Once you get through to Dawson Creek it is an eye feast. Northern Rockies, Yukon Territory, and all of Alaska. WOW.

The only thing holding us back are summer trips with our grandkids. Two summers in a row and this summer is planned with 5 of our grandkids soon to be teenagers. We enjoy, that they still enjoy, being with their old peeps. So the trip is on hold for at least this year.

Please let us enjoy the trip vicariously with updates for your trip.

Thanks.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
We are planning the trip for when I retire in May 2018.

Please share your experiences and any internet sites or other resources you find helpful. Have a fantastic journey.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #22

Patsy, are you following the Alaska threads?

Like this one? Lots of good info there.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/alask...-a-301777.html

My wife and I are convoying up from the AR/TN area with her cousin and his wife starting June 2. You'll see the same people over and over I hear.

We'll watch for your Carri-Go!
Dukerdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
We are planning the trip for when I retire in May 2018.
That was our plan last May. Retired mid May, left a week later...
Old 04-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukerdr View Post
Patsy, are you following the Alaska threads?

Like this one? Lots of good info there.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/alask...-a-301777.html

My wife and I are convoying up from the AR/TN area with her cousin and his wife starting June 2. You'll see the same people over and over I hear.

We'll watch for your Carri-Go!

Thanks..... just spent 45 minutes reading the thread. Copied some information in a document so I could put it in my trip notes. Again, thanks so much for the direction.

See ya on the road.

Patsy

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I few notes here:

~ Like myself using the Milepost not every road has mileposts to actually follow. If I remember right, the Alcan there was a Kilometer post every 5 kilometers on the side of the road. There were some where you got a Kilometer post every 2 kilometers.

~ The two private campgrounds in Dawson City Yukon you might want to make a reservation 2-3 days before. Yes, there will be some people who don't show up or cancel. Two days out we got the last electric site at the one just out of town by Bonanza Rd.

~ Try Sanidumps.com for free water and dumping locations.

~ At the Dawson Creek visitor center pick up a current copy of the available fuel, & grocery list. It covers the whole Alcan and Cassier.

~ Everyone goes to Exit Glacier near Seward. Problem is they now keep you back 500' from the actual glaciers edge. For a up close glacier experience, just north of Valdez at Worthington Glacier it's an easy 10 minute walk from the large parking lot (RV parking too) to the glaciers edge. There were some who walked into the glacier cave. You can see up close the grinding the glacier had done on the rock face.

~ If your at all into berry picking, starting about August 1st, the berries will start coming due. You have; Raspberries, Blueberries, both High & Low Bush Cranberries and Rose-hips (Late Aug early Sept)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #26

Friends of ours went last year in a 45' Eagle towing a full size pickup. They had a wonderful time, and stated size doesn't matter[emoji23][emoji1303]. Just prepare well they did a blog which is really interesting. Lobopup.blogspot.com.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #27

Florida to Alaska - starting June 2017

Can anyone tell me what the Bighorn Highway (40) is like between Hinton and Grande Prairie in Alberta? We'll be pulling 31' of TT.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, florida