Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:35 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Florida to Alaska - starting June 2017

Am still thinking of heading on an Alaskan Adventure around the 1st of June from North Central Florida and cross border in Montana. Want to boondock a lot and take my time to take in the sights. Return trip to take in Washington and Oregon before heading east.

At the start of planning there were a couple of us driving our RVs. Now, one thing or another has cause each person to back out of trip. Wondering if there are any small groups heading to Alaska around this same time frame and if so... how to contact them.

Thanks so much.....

Patsy

Patsy's RVing Adventures

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You've asked the question in the right place. Hopefully, you'll hear from a few folks.
When we went in 2006, it started off as a group project, but there were so many varied interests that we all headed out on our own and met up along the way, sometimes planned, sometimes happenstance. It worked well. Those that wanted to fish, did. Those that wanted to take off on the road north of Fairbanks, did. Everyone had a good time and stayed friends.
Be sure to allow enough time to explore Yukon Territory. We had no idea how interesting it was until we got there. Luckily we weren't tied to a schedule or group, so we took our time seeing what we wanted.
Have a good time!
Old 04-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #3

We plan to leave Palm Coast, FL around June 24, crossing into Canada at Sweet Grass, MT, but we are doing short visits in IL and the Denver area to visit a couple of sons over July 4. We should hit the border around July 7 or 8. We'll be pulling our TT. Going to be an awesome trip!
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

We went to AK in 2010 and went by ourselves which is the best way to go. Buy a copy of Milepost and it will direct you and tell you about roads, campgrounds and sights to see.
I would also recommend starting on May 30th and go until Sept 1st. There is a lot to see and do and stop whenever you have a mind to.
Pay attention to the road signs and if it says "frost heave" definitely slow down.
Enjoy it as it surely is beautiful.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
We plan to leave Palm Coast, FL around June 24, crossing into Canada at Sweet Grass, MT
You are correct it will be an awesome trip and that's why it's on my Bucket List and want to go this year. I hope to cross the board sometime in the 2nd week of June. Safe Travels and who knows... who may meet who in Alaska from this board!

Patsy

Old 04-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #6

No reason for a group, lets you go on your schedule you pace. Get a copyof Milepost book and it will give you much information on what to see. Pack alot of dry goods as you can carry, the futher up you get the more expensive it gets and restock in AK. Look up a few cavarvans on line and look at their schedules and where they stop and things they visit. it's a great trip and are looking forward to our next trip.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #7

I bought the Churchs' book on Alaska camping early this year and pre-ordered the Milepost and it came as soon as it was released. I have been religiously studying both of them for months. LOL. I did have a bit of a problem getting my wife onboard, but she is starting to get excited about it. I spent a month climbing Denali several years ago, so one of our excursions will be the Denali flightseeing trip on TAT out of Talkeetna. Looking forward to revisiting the Roadhouse for breakfast and the West Rib for a dinner!
Old 04-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #8

What are your concerns about going alone on the trip?

Personally, I wouldn't want to travel with strangers (or even folks/family that I know) as you don't know their driving/siteseeing habits. Also, you might be an early riser to get on the road and another might like to relax a bit in the morning and leave later. As for as siteseeing, everyone has a different take on that. Sometimes we'd even drive only 50-100 that day because we wanted to check out a neat place. Someone might want to save some money by dry camping or boondocking at beautiful spots and the other only wants hookups at RV parks. Someone might be a hiker, fisherman, and the other doesn't want to wait around for them. There can be a lot of conflicts traveling with someone.

You'll meet many friendly folks from all over the country as you travel. Many times you'll meet up with them over and over at different campgrounds or attractions. There aren't many roads. You can't get lost. Everyone is heading to the same places.

It's really an easy trip but a long one. Don't think of it in terms of total miles. Think of it as many short trips (from stop to stop) tacked together.

Again, if you have any special concern, perhaps someone here can help. Sure hope you don't cancel because of this. It's a trip of a lifetime and how often will you have the chance to go. You never know what the next year brings.

Also, if you can possible begin earlier from Florida so you'll cross into Canada by June 1 it will be to your advantage to have the extra time.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #9

Florida to Alaska - starting June 2017

Are you kidding? LOL. I'm having a hard enough time prying my wife away from two young Grandsons for what I have told her is two months "or so." LOL. Heck, I'd leave in late May if I could get her to.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for the helpful replies. I get a lot of "don't wait to go with others -- just go" (from my Facebook pages) and 95% come from those that travel as a couple -- so, to me.... you aren't alone. You have someone to share the experiences with, talk about places you've been, etc. -- I am alone and wish for those things. Mind you, I do NOT want to share my RV with another but I would like another around to share the experiences. And to part, from time to time, 'cause as it has been pointed out... everyone has their own agenda.

Patsy

Old 04-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #11

There are only so many ways to get to Alaska and once you start on the Alaska Highway, you will start seeing the same people over and over. We met several people that we became social with and had a great time interacting with them. However, we all traveled alone. Drive at your own pace and stay at the campground of your choice. We still saw the same people even though they stayed at different campgrounds. We had a blast and Weill be going again.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
With your outlined trip and relaxed pace, I would leave early May. We met many people enroute and ended up traveling all but with them for several weeks.

LEN
Old 04-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
With your outlined trip and relaxed pace, I would leave early May. We met many people enroute and ended up traveling all but with them for several weeks.

LEN

I'd love to leave in May but a May 26 doctor's appointment doesn't allow that and it's my first annual cancer checkup (rest were every 6 months). As soon as I get my good report will be good to go!!!

Patsy

Old 04-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good year to go..."cheaper gas prices". We still spent $4k on gas (14k miles) last summer. We took 28 days to go from NE. Ohio to Fairbanks. Left a day or two before Memorial Day and returned Sept. 15th.

Besides the Milepost, I would also get a copy of Mike & Terri Church's Alaskan Camping. Very straight forward campground reference book covering every campground in Northern BC., all of the Yukon and all of Alaska. No advertising, so the reviews are very accurate. We had the 2014 edition, they just came out with a 2017 edition in Jan. Both from Amazon.

We plan to go back in 19'. I think traveling with someone or a group you have to be all on the same page as far as expectations, sightseeing, miles per day, overnight type of camping (boondocking, dry, only electric needed or "only" full service).
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, florida