Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #15

Thanks for all the info. Appreciate the Phoenix/Tucson recommendation; I'm mildly allergic to cities/urban areas, I'd be a boondocker if I had a solar setup. Also dust = bad. Davedeb1 may have the solution, do it all. Considering deep Florida for Jan/Feb and a swing through the west on the reluctant trek north.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #16

Visited relatives in Apache Junction in April 2013. Hotter than hell. My cousin's 35 year old daughter died from valley fever shortly after we left. She and her husband liked to go off-roading. The fungus is in the dust. When the haboobs blow thru, everything is covered.

This year we went to Las Vegas in April. Hotter than hell. Lake Mead was down 125 feet, lowest level since the dam was built. Went to Lake Powell after Zion. Same thing, lake down 125 feet. No boating, boats stuck on dry land. I would rather be snorkeling in the sparkling clear waters of the Keys or fishing offshore in the gulfstream.

Highest temp ever recorded in Miami is 98 degrees and it never freezes.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore View Post
Been to Florida many times. Going to winter this year in Mesa, Arizona. No bugs, no gators, no boas or pythons.
I hear you need to watch out for the scorpions, especially your shoes if left out on the patio. JMHO
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV735 View Post
We toured the SW this past Jan.-May. I liked the Tucson, Phoenix area the best. While we were there it was the most pleasant weather. We are putting our plans to tour Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana coasts this coming winter, 2015 form Jan. to May. Are there suggestions for interesting areas to visit on the Gulf Coast?

You can see our SW tour (From Natchez to California) on our blog.
RVGR8escape: NATCHEZ, MISSISSIPPI JANUARY 8, 2014

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
You should start a post on this as it's a good subject. The gulf coast has a lot to offer. From Gulf Shores to Panama City beach is all great stuff.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
To your question, each area of the country is going to have it's pitfalls for sure. I've done both and there were things I liked about each.

In florida, there might be "more to do". It depends if you just want to close your door, turn on the tv and watch re-runs of I love lucy every day or if you are the explorer type who likes to get out and go.

If I were to go to Florida, I would move around a bunch. two weeks here, two weeks there etc... If i were to go back to AZ, I would probably spend most of my time boondocked in the western part of the state or I would chill out in Kingman.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #20

The SW is beautiful in the Fall/Winter months....I would say late October to early May is great. Cool clear nights great sleeping weather, cold crisp mornings, and most daytime temps in the 60's to 70's depending on storms comming thru...even when it rains it is still fairly comfortable. If you go to some of the Desert higher elevations you may on a rare occassion get a dusting of snow, but not anything that will stay around or cause you any problems. Not many snakes, scorpions, bugs or dusty conditions during the Fall/Winter and plenty of beautiful roads to travel.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lived in Tuscon AZ, hot, dry, but last winter it was cold. But so was Fl. For DW and myself we choose FL. Just south of the I 4 corridor but well out of the south FL hustle and bustle. Don't get along well in crowed environments. However, we love being around like minded folks so can't wait for the IRV 2 rally in Myrtle Beach. We also live in a RV community with casitas, lovely pads and homes, some complete with RV portals. Golf is year round, fishing is great, life's good! But different strokes for different folks!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:05 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think the big difference all other thing being equal, is the money. Florida can be very expensive. The places I wanted to be in FL were way out of my budget. I was lucky to find something near the water for late spring that was affordable.
Both areas are nice.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you have pets, watch out for these boogers in the western region (quartzite)

And if you want to know where my secret hiding hole in eastern arizona is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	329.5 KB
ID:	73035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1353-2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	73036  

Click image for larger version