Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Florida without Reservations

Finally retiring end of this month and we're planning to travel to visit our son and granddaughter who live in Ft Lauderdale. I do use and post to RV Park Reviews, but, leaving N. CA first of February and wanting for once to travel slowly across the country on I10 not knowing when in February we would arrive in FL.
So, the question is, noting numerous warnings of good parks filling up, how difficult is it actually to get into better reviewed parks?
I'm hoping that veterans to wintering in FL might shed some light on the parks they're in and availability of spaces by mid-February.

Bill, Sandy & our GSP Lilly
Bill Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
From what we've observed, you'll likely be able to find a place to park it for a few days to a week, maybe two, but long term site availability will be tight in the better parks, at best, until we snow birds start to migrate back to the north, somewhere around the first of April for some of us.

Good luck!

Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bill Dean,
Determine what "slowly" traveling across the USA on I10 means to you. From where you are beginning it would take me more than a month to get to Florida traveling slowly and enjoying the sights. Work this backwards. Determine when you'll be in Ft. Lauderdale. Then make your reservation. Gut feel says 6 weeks should be about right for the first trip. I doubt you'll be bored. There is just too much to see and do. Do the wanderlust thing across I10
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
As mentioned above, you'll probably have no trouble getting into a nice park ... but probably not for more than 1 week or so ... unless you change sites. In other words, if you don't mind changing sites or parks, everything should be fine. That's not to say you can't find places for longer stays ... it just might not be a location that is your 1st choice.
2005 Newmar Essex 4502
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check allstays.com for alternatives, such as wally world, if you cannot find an rv park in a particular location.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
I just finished the itinerary for our Florida trip starting 1/1/15 form NY. I used google map search and typed "camping". I found numerous camp sites in specific areas and looked closer at the reviews. It allowed the largest selection of camp sites in areas to determine best location and quality of camp site. It also allowed rate comparisons. It seams to be an effective way to find a camp site when you are unfamiliar with a given area.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
2004 Meridian, 2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox, Airforce one
FMCA 403779
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
If you're thinking of FL state parks, they stay full during high season, Oct-Mar each year. It may be possible to drive in and find a single space resulting from a reservation cancellation or computer glitch, but there's no guarantee. I've never been turned away at a commercial CG (or "resort" as they're called here) because it seems they always have a few emptry spaces for whatever reason.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We feel more at ease in traveling to FL without reservations, remaining flexible in where and how long we stay.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Flexibility is the name of the game. If you are not picky you should be ok, but you most likely be moving around if trying to stay near prime vacation areas. This will be year 7 for us. Every year the places we stay are busier and busier.
Rich & Michelle
2014 Journey 42E
Chip & Dale, our kitties
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
We did a similar trip from So Cal 2 years ago at about the same time of year. I've posted about this before, so I'll summarize. We only intended to get as far as Destin. Got as far as the Gulf Shores area of Alabama, & loved it so much we pretty well stayed there. By choice, we moved about once a week. We never had any problems finding great parks. I looked at that first trip as a recon mission. I now know which parks would require way-in-advance reservations (like Gulf Shores State Park). At least that far east, I wouldn't worry about reservations any more than a day or two in advance. But, please do watch the weather. They actually have it there. We don't in California. A couple of times we had to stay parked a day or two extra until a storm passed. (Case in point. One of our planned stops along I10 in Louisiana got 10" of rain the day we were supposed to overnight there. Fortunately, we spent an extra day in Biloxi waiting for the storm to pass. Take your time!)
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
This will be our third winter in Fl and it is the first time we have reserved any park. We did so only because we wanted to stay at least a month in several locations as we are still searching for that perfect place for our winter home.
The past two yrs we have had no problems finding a spot and there were several empty spots every where we camped.We have picked a couple "duds" but most of the time the parks were nice.As a previous poster mentioned as long as you are willing to move around you should define!
See you in Fl. Are you a member of the BAC? If so the club has some informal luncheons on tap if you might be interested.
Dan & Kris Murphy

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #12
Yes, we are members of BAC - a lot of great information. I saw the camping circles being proposed just today.
Again, with the input here, we're becoming more comfortable with remaining flexible with the trip and making short term reservations several days in advance instead of now not knowing how the journey will unfold including weather and interests.
Again, thanks to everyone!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #13
Bill Dean here is a app to put in your phone should help you all the way across. Look up RV PARKY campgrounds, fuel, rest areas, wally-worlds, cracker barrel, prices, phone numbers, mileage to. Happy trails

George & Jerri
06 GT 340TSSE
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote