Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Food

I'm not sure this is the correct forum but here goes. We have an upcoming trip that will take us through Memphis and New Orleans. I'm looking forward to ribs in Memphis. I would like to hear about your "food not to miss" and places to eat them in both locations, especially New Orleans. It will be our first visit to both cities.

Thanks.
Knotdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotdodger View Post
I'm not sure this is the correct forum but here goes. We have an upcoming trip that will take us through Memphis and New Orleans. I'm looking forward to ribs in Memphis. I would like to hear about your "food not to miss" and places to eat them in both locations, especially New Orleans. It will be our first visit to both cities.
Knotdodger, I'm hoping that Ed Gray will chime in since he would be familiar with New Orleans.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #3

Go to Roadfood.com - The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America. Look in the forums (scroll down to "Regional".. "Where should I eat" or "Lunch & Dinner"... "BBQ" among others). These are serious foodies.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Go to Roadfood.com - The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America. Look in the forums (scroll down to "Regional".. "Where should I eat" or "Lunch & Dinner"... "BBQ" among others). These are serious foodies.
Thanks Lorna. I'll definitely check it out.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 AM   #5

Check out Chef Emeril Lagasse's NOLA's in New Orleans. NOLA Restaurant - New Orleans, LA | OpenTable
NOLA stands for....New Orleans LouisianA
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
DO NOT MISS Rendezvous Ribs in Memphis. On a back alley near the Peabody Hotel. A cab driver told us about it and he was spot on that those were the best ribs around. Dry rub and melt in your mouth!

DO NOT MISS Cafe DuMonde in New Orleans. Beignets and cafe au lait. Don't wear a dark shirt because the powdered sugar will be all over you!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
DO NOT MISS Rendezvous Ribs in Memphis. On a back alley near the Peabody Hotel. A cab driver told us about it and he was spot on that those were the best ribs around. Dry rub and melt in your mouth!

DO NOT MISS Cafe DuMonde in New Orleans. Beignets and cafe au lait. Don't wear a dark shirt because the powdered sugar will be all over you!
Sounds like I need my bib.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #8

Recommed "Mothers" in New Orleans. Great Po Boys and plenty of food. Not a fancy place but good eats. Has been featured on several Food Channel shows.
The Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Before you head up the alley to the Rendezvous, pause at the Peabody to watch the parade. It starts at 5 p.m., sharp. Get there a few minutes early and enjoy a drink at the lobby bar. Quack, quack!

After dinner, walk up to Beale street and enjoy some local blues.

Take care,
Stu

777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
New Orleans - one of my favorite cities!

Commanders Palace is great for Sunday brunch - you can walk through the garden district to one of the famous above ground cemetaries afterwards - interesting place.

Antoine's is also good.

so many places, know where they are, but can't remember their names (been 5 years).
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
paz

If you're interested in food, you may want to consider the New Orleans School of Cooking. You can watch a great cooking demonstration with samples afterward. They will teach you the difference between cajun and creole cooking. To read our blog post about the school click HERE.

Also, try Central Market in NO for a muffuletta. It is a sandwich something like an Italian sub, except it is about a foot in diameter and it's served with chopped olive salad on it.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ditto on the Rendezvous Ribs..... The "parade" previously mentioned would be The Peabody ducks and is entertaining.
You didn't ask for "sights" to see but as we were in Memphis a couple weeks ago and happened upon the original home of Sun Records we did want to mention it. The "tour" was interesting and just to think that many of the mid 50's hits were cut there - WOW!
It has free parking in back.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We highly recommend the Rendevous for ribs,try the dry rub. Also the sausage is the some of the best !
mikephillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
food new orleans

you gotta lookup UGLESICH'S resturant in new orleans. google them on line. it was the best food and awsome place we've ever eaten. oops, they are closed i guess due to katrina. sorry oh well then just try the COMMANDERS PALACE.

boyce and lisa
06 meridian 39k
06 jeep limited tow
pawpawboyce is offline   Reply With Quote