Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You can purchase a meal plan, as a guest at Fort Wilderness (and we may as well), but guests at the other resorts have been getting a meal plan for free.

I think the difference, from Disney's point of view, may be the rate of occupancy. They've got the one campground, but thousands of hotel rooms to fill, in a down economy.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #16

Going on our REAL first trip in a class a gas motorhome with the family next Wednesday to Fort Wilderness. Me the wife and our 7 kids (I know I know, am I insane? ). I'm so nervous about it, 90 percent excited and 10 percent scared haha.
Since there are so many seasoned veterans here in the forum, does anyone have any tips for us?
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Wow, 7 kids!

Here's a fantastic website (and also has a camping-related board) to check out:

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com - Powered by vBulletin

I'm so envious of all of you guys - have yet to camp at the Fort, but it's definitely on my list!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauto5150 View Post
Going on our REAL first trip in a class a gas motorhome with the family next Wednesday to Fort Wilderness. Me the wife and our 7 kids (I know I know, am I insane? ). I'm so nervous about it, 90 percent excited and 10 percent scared haha.
Since there are so many seasoned veterans here in the forum, does anyone have any tips for us?
First tip for Disney is bring lots of money

Seriously don't worry. Disney is first class so if you have needs or concerns, just ask someone there. Fort Wilderness is about the nicest CG we have ever beer to.

It must be tough with 7 kids but if possible bring bicycles. We ride ours from the campsite to the marina and take the boats to the attractions. You can pick up the bus at the end of each loop though. Be sure to get to the beach at night for fireworks and they go by in boats with a great light show. Darn, making me wish we had plans to go this year.

5150 Van Halen?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can rent golf carts (Outrageously Priced) or bicycles (High also) Your best bet is to bring your bikes. Plan on spending at least one day in the campground and at Wilderness Hotel. Lots to do at both places.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
First tip for Disney is bring lots of money

Seriously don't worry. Disney is first class so if you have needs or concerns, just ask someone there. Fort Wilderness is about the nicest CG we have ever beer to.

It must be tough with 7 kids but if possible bring bicycles. We ride ours from the campsite to the marina and take the boats to the attractions. You can pick up the bus at the end of each loop though. Be sure to get to the beach at night for fireworks and they go by in boats with a great light show. Darn, making me wish we had plans to go this year.

5150 Van Halen?
Yes the bike thing, I was thinking about bringing them. I have 2 bike trailers that I can get 4 little ones in which only leaves 3 of the older kids on their bikes. That's still 5 bikes plus 2 bike trailers. The trailers break down and can go in the cargo bays, but 5 bikes is a lot of bikes. I've been looking at bike racks so that may be the best idea.
Do they have trails or bike paths to ride on?
YES Van Halen or Van Hagar whichever you prefer!
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauto5150 View Post
Do they have trails or bike paths to ride on?
Yes there are paved pedestrian/bike paths all over next to the main roads.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be sure to hit the exercise trail on your bikes from the stables early morning. I have seen plenty of deer on the trial every time. One jumped out of the bushes and almost hit me on my last trip. Love the place. We will be there next week and again in December. Best campground ever. Enjoy!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:36 AM   #23

We have been to Fort Wilderness 2 times with our kids. The first they were pretty young, and according to your profile pic you have young ones as well. Best tip I can give off of the top of my head is this: when boarding any transportation, boats,busses,etc. Have any and all strollers folded up. You can not board any vehicle with a child inside a stroller. We learned this by holding up a bus for 10 min. or so...lol. Fort Wilderness has a lot to offer and many have a day or two just doing the activities inside the campground. It is so much fun there! Makes me want to go back just thinking about it! Have fun!!!!
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
We have been to Fort Wilderness 2 times with our kids. The first they were pretty young, and according to your profile pic you have young ones as well. Best tip I can give off of the top of my head is this: when boarding any transportation, boats,busses,etc. Have any and all strollers folded up. You can not board any vehicle with a child inside a stroller. We learned this by holding up a bus for 10 min. or so...lol. Fort Wilderness has a lot to offer and many have a day or two just doing the activities inside the campground. It is so much fun there! Makes me want to go back just thinking about it! Have fun!!!!

Ages of the kids are:
14, 11, 9, 7, 5, 3, and 1. I have a double folding stroller for the 2 little ones. We've done the bus thing before a few years back and I was very good about being READY when the bus arrived.
Although, when boarding the bus with 2 bags hanging around your neck and a bulky folded stroller it seemed no one would "make a little room" for me to get by. After several frustrating boardings I accidentally banged someone's knee with the corner of the stroller. They parted like the Red Sea after that and I found that "move" most beneficial from then on out.
I can hardly wait to get there, the kids will never forget this vacation.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #25

Also, whatever you do make sure your MH is stocked full of groceries. The store inside the CG has a markup of 70%. Very expensive! I hate to keep going on but I will..so excuse me if I am telling you stuff you already know. In the evening, Fort Wilderness has a big camp fire that chip 'n dale attend. Very cute. They allow you to make smores. Take your own with you. They sell smores kits but like I said before...very expensive. The younger ones may like the horse stables. We took our 2 kids on a pony ride. $5/ride. The kids loved it,and honestly it was cheapest thing we did there... lol. If I can think of anything else I will chime in from time to time. I know we appreciated all of the tips before we went with our kids.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
Also, whatever you do make sure your MH is stocked full of groceries.
I agree. Disney does a great job and I understand that costs money but there is no reason in a MH not to bring some of your own provisions.

Besides we need to save up for a stop in Epcot at the Rose and Crown in England for pints of Guinness and in Germany for great big steins of Becks.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Bring the bikes - but bring the bike lights too.
We biked to marina or bus outpost. Were told that we needed bike lights if we would be riding back to MH after dark.
FW is huge so lots of trails to ride on. They're not just bike paths though - had pedestrians (with/without dogs) on them as well.
Check out the all-night FW pool. It's at the larger Settlement Post. Met people on the bus from the hotels that bring their kids (all ages) over for late night swims.
Ate most of our meals at the RV. Always breakfast (except for that one Breakfast with the Characters). Sometimes skipped lunch. Supper at RV then back to an attraction. Park Hopper passes work the best for this kind of "meal plan". You can do one attraction after breakfast, come back, eat again, go to a different attraction.
KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #28

Fort Wilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater View Post
We have reservations at Ft Wilderness in 2 weeks. The dining plan is an option. I don't think I understand the Free meal plan?
Yes you can get the meal plan with your Fort Wilderness, that includes tickets, meals. plus some other amenities. The only thing that I do not like is: although you are staying in your RV, why is the price higher than the standard resorts, half the time your not going to be eating their, just the norm of sleeping. But be advised, Make your reservations very early August is not early enough.
Coni
Cartist is offline   Reply With Quote