Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #85
We're heading there in mid Oct. first time. 2 grandkids, mom&dad, and grammy/papa.
mom&dad and grandkids staying in a cabin, grammy/papa in the coach. Sounds like we're in for a great experience.

Kenn, Pat, The Dogs (Divot and Lucky),
2006 KSDP, Saturn Vue
kenn6645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #86
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Fort Wilderness here we come

We will be spending our annual Fort Wilderness trip this coming Columbus Day weekend, four days starting Thursday evening.

We have camped there every year since the opening in 1971

Your kitties are beautiful! We have 2 black ones as well....along with a tortie, a ginger and a black/white.

2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins TD
Days camped 2011 61 - Reserved in '12 so far 40
Trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #87
Originally Posted by Sealevel Ram
... but I can't imagine traveling to the same destination campground for 3 consecutive years, much less for 41 consecutive years.
Thank goodness everyone is different.
That got me thinking. I started recalling how often we have visited Ft Wilderness over the years and the total number of times we have stayed there. Holy cow it's been a lot.
I can get behind the wheel of my RV where it is stored, and be pulling into the check in lane at FW within 25 minutes. Because of how close we are to a quality campground (my opinion), we chose to camp there often over the years.
Living so close I was able to go to work from our campsite and return at the end of the day feeling like I was miles away from the daily grind. During many of our stays we would take our three children into school from our campsite, and as me, return at the end of their day. We still get a chuckle today remembering how,when our children were doing their homework at the campsites picnic table, other children would stop by and almost always say: "wow, you're so lucky to live here". My children are now 21, 23 and 25 and have fond memories of their time out at FW. They still come out to visit mom and dad when we're staying there.

Over the years many of our family members (some no longer with us) and friends would park up front, we would pick them up in our golf cart, drive the loops looking at all the different ways people choose to camp --tents, pop ups, travel trailers and all the different types of motor coaches. It was a close look at a type of vacation travel many of them knew nothing about and found rather intriguing. Back at our campsite we would have some BBQ and then after their visit return them to the front end. Even they felt like they were miles away from everything, but only miles from being back at their own home. During our upcoming FW visit I already know that two of my brothers, a couple buddies of mine and relative I haven't seen in years (they will be on Disney property during our stay) plan on visiting at different times.

When I can set my watch by the scheduled Disney fireworks -- from a pleasant distance we can hear and see them from our home -- some may feel that is way to close to a product that they have no use or liking of.
But, I think everyone would agree: "Thank goodness everyone is different"
Hugh '09 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43'
Cummins ISL 8.9L Turbo 425hp, Spartan MM GT
Allison MD3000, '12 Jeep Wrangler
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #88
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We've been many times over the years, although not as frequently as some here have already indicated. This past winter we spent a couple weeks at Ft Wilderness after having uncharacteristically missed a Disney trip for over 4 years.

There have been changes over the years that we wish hadn't, but change is the only constant, no matter who or what you're talking about. We much preferred the old trams to the busses that now move you from here to there. The busses are just too 'urban' for our taste and we feel incongruent to the over all atmosphere. Same with the million golf carts buzzing around the place, many piloted by maniacs that seem to think that the rules of the road don't apply to a golf cart. The accommodations made for golf cart parking have likewise diminished the aesthetic appeal to some areas. We regret we never saw the steam train that used to travel through the park. We also preferred the campground before someone got on an environmental kick and decided to eliminate all non-native species. That basically removed 90% of the under brush that kept 90% of the sites very private and isolated from even your immediate neighbors. That said, it's all a matter of degrees. We still love the place.

You can get anywhere in the park, or on any of the myriad of Disney properties, all without ever moving your own tow vehicle or toad. You can walk to the fenced doggy park, to the bike shed or swimming pools, go for a canoe ride, join in for a campfire, complete with 'smores and a Disney movie, watch the water pageant and/or fireworks every night and even get a meal or enjoy a show, all right there. It is undoubtedly the most expensive campground we'll ever stay in (save, possibly, for the rare stay in the southern Florida Keys) so like most we're limited to stays of one, maybe two weeks at the most (can you believe some will spend the entire winter there?).

We were known as the "Disney experts" at our respective offices. 98% of those we've ever met that have made a trip to either of the Disney parks, whether it was the "trip of a lifetime", or one of multiple trips, have loved the experience, but every once in a while you do meet someone, albeit rare, that just didn't feel the magic. Perhaps G rated entertainment just isn't their thing, or maybe there were just there at the wrong time (Not all of our experiences have been stellar. With over 30 visits in more than 30 years we've had to deal with construction, inconsistent quality of the employees, or the food but we've been often enough to recognize these disappointments as the anomalies and not the norm.)

If we all had the same tastes, what a dull world it would be.

Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote