Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #1

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I just booked my first Fort Wilderness vacation. Whoo hoo. I have heard so many great things about the CG. We are going next spring, the week of Easter.

I reserved a golf cart and we are going with the dining package. We requested the 1300 loop. It is full hookup- just no cable. They didn't have one for 6 nights in a row with cable and I figured we aren't going all the way down there to watch tv so I am hoping it won't be a big deal.</span>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Has anyone been there recently and have any advice or tips ??</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #2

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I just booked my first Fort Wilderness vacation. Whoo hoo. I have heard so many great things about the CG. We are going next spring, the week of Easter.

I reserved a golf cart and we are going with the dining package. We requested the 1300 loop. It is full hookup- just no cable. They didn't have one for 6 nights in a row with cable and I figured we aren't going all the way down there to watch tv so I am hoping it won't be a big deal.</span>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Has anyone been there recently and have any advice or tips ??</span>

Old 09-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #3

We were there last October. The loop roads were pretty tight and I had to be carefull backing or 35 ft class A into the site. Can't wait to go back with the 38 ft coach and see how I fare. I think I will get a deluxe site because I understand they are a little larger.

It's a good call getting a golf cart if you are going to hang around the campground. I would drive the toad to the parks (if you are taking one). The campground is out of the way and a long bus ride to some of the parks.

But all that said, HAVE A GREAT TIME !!!!!
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #4

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Thanks !! We are only planning to visit one park and will be hanging out at the campground a majority of the time. We'd like to rent a boat and do some fishing, go horseback riding and attend some of the onsite shows and activities. The outdoor movies sound cool.</span>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I am a little worried about tight roads as our 5th wheel is about 39ft long. Hopefully by then we will have had more practice backing it up, lol !!</span>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Do you have any idea how far away from the Alantic coast from the CG ?? We promised the kids the next time we went to FL we would take them to see the ocean {though I don't know if people actually swim on the beaches in April}</span>

Old 09-21-2006, 03:49 PM   #5

Hi there the Atlantic is not too far away. Maybe 2 hrs drive. It's been awhile since we did that drive. You can easily drive up and do the NASA tour and be back the same day.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #6

We were at Ft.Wilderness 7/16-7/21 this year. The golf cart is a good idea if you will be spending a lot of time at F.W. I have a 38' class A motorhome and did'nt have any problem parking. If they assign you a space you can't get into just pick a diffrent one and tell the front desk where you moved to. The closest place to go to the Atlantic Ocean is Port Canavaral or Coco Beach approx. 45 miles east.
Their is a very good web site/forum with all the information you would ever need about Disneyworld and Fort Wilderness: www.disboards.com, then scroll down to the camping at disneyworld forum. We drove to Disneyworld from San Diego, Ca. (5,100 miles round trip) with three teenagers and had a great time.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:55 PM   #7

We were at Fort Wilderness the 2nd week of August 2006. We were in loop 1300 with a 32 ft TT and it is a little tight but it all depends on what angle your site is to the road. We loved it but we did all the parks plus more so we did not spend much time at the campground but it was very nice. We did use the pool and we did go to Hoop Dee Doo. Use the bus and the boat was easy but found that other than magic kingdom it was easier to driver our truck, but this was in August after the FL and GA schools were in session so it was really nice. Never waited more than 20 mins at any park all week and the campground was not full. We did the dining plan and it worked out well for use since we planned to stay at the parks from Open to Close and did not want to return to the camper for Lunch or Dinner.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #8

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Thank you for all of the responses</span>

Old 09-22-2006, 06:00 PM   #9

I brought our golf cart down with us. We have four kids and three adults, to carry the strollers etc it was easier to ride the cart to the landing and take the boat or up to the entrance and hop on the bus, plus it's fun to just cruise and look at the different rigs!!! Definately check out hoop de doo and also the ohana dinner is great for kids.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:33 AM   #10

Some of the sites are hard to get into with a 5th wheel. Get there early so if you have a problem call the desk and they will assign you another site. Don't just go into another one yourself, because you might have to move. If you have a cart and are want to go to the parks or other places drive the cart to the bus stops, it might take a little longer but you don't have to sit in traffic and it is a good way to see the grounds.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:37 AM   #11

If you want to see the ocean, a good place about one hour east of Ft. Wilderness is Jetty Park. It is just past the cruise ship terminals. It costs $5 per vehicle to enter, but they have a huge fishing pier and swimming/wading beach, plus a concession stand. If you are there on Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday, you may see the cruise ships leaving.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #12

We're going to Disney World and staying at FW in Feb'06. We were hoping to bring our bike's to travel around FW. Does anyone know if they have bike racks at the tram stations within FW to lock up our bike's?

06'Winnebago Adventurer 35A
It's A Good Life!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #13

opps! I mean Feb "2007" can't get this year out of my head...LOL!!

06'Winnebago Adventurer 35A
It's A Good Life!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I do not recall bike racks at the tram stops. Consider not using your bikes to get to tram stops. They do not seem that far from any site and are located in may places throughout the CG. Depending on other CG activities you want to do and what loop you are in, the bikes may be a good choice for getting to the CG activities.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote